YBR125 coughs and splutters when thottle is quickly opened from fully closed

tedrogers
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

My problem is exactly as the title really.

The YBR125 coughs and splutters when the throttle is quickly opened from fully closed - if you do it more slowly though it is not a problem. Do this too quickly and the engine dies completely / stops dead.

Idling speed is fine.

I've cleaned the spark plug and this seems fine.

Could it be the carburetor / air intake that needs cleaning or is it perhaps that the engine cope with a large air intake do you think?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

My problem is exactly as the title really.

The YBR125 coughs and splutters when the throttle is quickly opened from fully closed - if you do it more slowly though it is not a problem.

Idling speed is fine.

I've cleaned the spark plug and this seems fine.

Could it be the carburetor / air intake that needs cleaning or is it perhaps that the engine cope with a large air intake do you think?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

hi there,

is the bike properly warmed up, not sure about coughing and so on, but on mine there does seem to be a lag when the engine is cold, and this is normal (or so i believe).. it goes away after a few mins..

try checking the carb/air intake as mentioned..

hope this helps

uzi_999

Hi and thanks for you reply.

The engine was well warmed up, this is one of the first things I made sure of.

Also the choke was placed back into the default (normal) position.

Hmmm? I'll have a dig about tomorrow I guess and see what transpires.

Anyone got any suggestions on what this is?

It's a 'rich cut' - Too much fuel for the engine to deal with.

Open the throttle more slowly, that will fix it

It's a 'rich cut' - Too much fuel for the engine to deal with.

Open the throttle more slowly, that will fix it

Is that the only solution?

I mean, that is what I would do to prevent it from cutting out, but it seems a bit "weak".

Mine is also the 2006 model, so pre fuel injection.

Well tried loads today.

I tried changing the position of the needle in the carb, from lowest to highest setting, to let more or less fuel in each time the throttle is pulled, and this made little difference to the "dying" engine problem.

I checked and cleaned the spark plug, ensured the correct gap diameter - all ok.

Finally I changed various settings on the air screw, and the idling speeds - and without setting the idle to something stupidly high, nothing really helped that much.

My air filter and filter sump had some oil / fuel deposits in there, so I cleaned all that out, which certainly helped it idle more smoothly, but the main problem still remains.

So I guess this can't be fixed and is "a feature" of the YBR125?

Anyone?

Well tried loads today.

I tried changing the position of the needle in the carb, from lowest to highest setting, to let more or less fuel in each time the throttle is pulled, and this made little difference to the "dying" engine problem.

I checked and cleaned the spark plug, ensured the correct gap diameter - all ok.

Finally I changed various settings on the air screw, and the idling speeds - and without setting the idle to something stupidly high, nothing really helped that much.

My air filter and filter sump had some oil / fuel deposits in there, so I cleaned all that out, which certainly helped it idle more smoothly, but the main problem still remains.

So I guess this can't be fixed and is "a feature" of the YBR125?

Anyone?

Its a feature of yours.

First off, how long till the 600 as these type of problems can be a right pain in the arse to fix and if you are getting rid in a couple of weeks then like as not it won't be worth the effort if you can live with it.

If the bike is all std and you have done the obvious stuff i would be changing the plug, if modern plugs need cleaning they are had it as far as i'm concerned.

Next would be a new air filter as when that starts to choke up it will be at extreems like what you are discribing when it will tell.

Lastly if there are still issues you may have a small leak somewhere, maybe a pinholed diaphram or a leaky rubber somewhere reducing the draw engine side of the carb but on a bike the age of yours thats unlikely.

:offtopic: but just noticed ure going to be getting a fazer600!! way to go! its my choice soon too (when funds permit for the DAS :unsure: )

Oh yeah! As soon as my DAS is done.

Hit a cone last week and lost my £80 for part 2.

I'd have been on the Fazer right now if it weren't for that.

Take it wide my friend...don't listen to your instructor when they say "just nip the cones in the slalom section".

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online