fz600 electrical problems

khayman
This post is 5362 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Two nights ago I was riding down the motorway when all of a sudden the bike

starts backfiring and slowing down.

I get to the side of the road and it will not turn over, the battery was almost dead

in the morning so I bump started.

There is an electrical sound coming from under the saddle when I try to start it up,

checked the fuses but they are ok.

Battery dead now but will not bump start - any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Two nights ago I was riding down the motorway when all of a sudden the bike

starts backfiring and slowing down.

I get to the side of the road and it will not turn over, the battery was almost dead

in the morning so I bump started.

There is an electrical sound coming from under the saddle when I try to start it up,

checked the fuses but they are ok.

Battery dead now but will not bump start - any ideas?

It sounds like your charging system has failed. If I remember right your generator/alternator is located under the carbs.

You may find that it is the regulator/rectifier ,which is in the generator unit, that has failed. It may be cheaper to replace with a complete second hand unit but check with your yamaha dealer for parts availability

It sounds like your charging system has failed. If I remember right your generator/alternator is located under the carbs.

You may find that it is the regulator/rectifier ,which is in the generator unit, that has failed. It may be cheaper to replace with a complete second hand unit but check with your yamaha dealer for parts availability

Thanks for the info. Is there an easy way of checking this before buying a new regulator? At present there is no battery left, if I were to charge it separately would this mean the bike would then start?

I bought the bike a few months ago as I had not ridden for years, The plan was to buy a new bike over the summer holidays (the fz cost £400 so I dont want to spend loads on it when I was planning on ebaying it next week).

Otherwise ill just put it up as a non runner.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for the info. Is there an easy way of checking this before buying a new regulator? At present there is no battery left, if I were to charge it separately would this mean the bike would then start?

I bought the bike a few months ago as I had not ridden for years, The plan was to buy a new bike over the summer holidays (the fz cost £400 so I dont want to spend loads on it when I was planning on ebaying it next week).

Otherwise ill just put it up as a non runner.

Thanks

Steve

I should have mentioned when I try to start the bike the rev counter clock starts moving all over the place

When the engine is running above idle, the generator will produce about 14.8 volts to the battery. If you are not seeing this, investigate. It will not charge a damaged battery, so check the battery first.

Thanks everyone for the advice, just wd40ed all the terminals and looked at the voltage regulator, on one of the

terminals from the vr, there was a pin that looks in bad condition - I wded this and tried a bump start - the bike started

staight away. Left the bike on idle for 10 minutes and it now starts fine.

All good for now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online