FZR600 Clutch Slipping

christoph21
This post is 5371 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. I just bought a 1995 FZR600 and I've noticed that the clutch tends to slip when you get on the throttle harder in 3,4,5 gear. If you're accelerating normally and fast it's fine but when you throw it down it slips. I just got the oil changed today (Yamalube 20w-50) and it's still slipping. The clutch cable is set up to engage pretty late so I'm going to adjust the cable to engage midway and give it some slack. The bike needs a new fork seal and with this clutch thing, I'm assuming wheelies were done with this bike. It might just be the weather too. When I test drove it, it was in the 60's but I'm not sure how hard I pushed the bike. Today I rode it all over but it was CHILLY - 50's and WINDY!!

So now, if the cable thing doesn't do anything, and weather doesn't seem to be a factor, what's my next move? New friction plates and springs? How much is that going to run??

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all. I just bought a 1995 FZR600 and I've noticed that the clutch tends to slip when you get on the throttle harder in 3,4,5 gear. If you're accelerating normally and fast it's fine but when you throw it down it slips. I just got the oil changed today (Yamalube 20w-50) and it's still slipping. The clutch cable is set up to engage pretty late so I'm going to adjust the cable to engage midway and give it some slack. The bike needs a new fork seal and with this clutch thing, I'm assuming wheelies were done with this bike. It might just be the weather too. When I test drove it, it was in the 60's but I'm not sure how hard I pushed the bike. Today I rode it all over but it was CHILLY - 50's and WINDY!!

So now, if the cable thing doesn't do anything, and weather doesn't seem to be a factor, what's my next move? New friction plates and springs? How much is that going to run??

hi mate, i have a 1989 model fzr 600 genisis, i dont no if your bike is doing exactly the same but when i engine is cold the clutch will slip in any gear until up 2 running tempreture, i have been advised that the fzr has a slipper clutch so it shouldnt be to much to worry about, if its happening after the bike is up to tempreture then i would have though you would need new friction plates. hope this helps.