Problems starting a hot bike

This post is 4989 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just a 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim a few days ago. I am having trouble starting it when it has just been running maybe 10 minutes ago and is still hot. When I try to restart it, it just keeps turning over. Opening the throttle seems to help after a few seconds, but that's still too hard on the battery. After I do get it started, I have to use the choke for a minute, even though the bike is still hot. Help please?

I put a brand new battery in it. It starts up perfectly in the morning when it's cool. I am in Wisconsin. It has not gotten cooler than 60 degrees or hotter than 85 degrees here since I got the bike and noticed this problem.

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like it is running lean if you need to use the choke, check the jets are not blocked and check the mixture by looking at the spark plug electrode (should look like an overcooked cornflake)

:welcome: to the forum Freedom Fighter

Used to have an '82 XJ550 Seca that would do the same thing when the Pilot Jets started to get dirty.....

Pretty sure a good carb cleaning could cure that issue. ;)

I just a 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim a few days ago. I am having trouble starting it when it has just been running maybe 10 minutes ago and is still hot. When I try to restart it, it just keeps turning over. Opening the throttle seems to help after a few seconds, but that's still too hard on the battery. After I do get it started, I have to use the choke for a minute, even though the bike is still hot. Help please?

I put a brand new battery in it. It starts up perfectly in the morning when it's cool. I am in Wisconsin. It has not gotten cooler than 60 degrees or hotter than 85 degrees here since I got the bike and noticed this problem.

Thanks!

Hi Barry,

it sounds like engine tune up time ... if the carbs have been balanced/mix set recently was the YICS shut off tool used ? If not you will get the symptoms you describe if not I would do the full job ... valve clearences, ignition timing check, cam chain tension, carb balance & mixture strength. & don't forget the YICS shut off tool !

Regards Jim

Sometimes when the bike is hot it evaporates the fuel in the carbs. Not sure if it applies but some cars, at least, have a heat shield to help stop this.

I also had an XT350 which was like this but that was down to not turning off the fuel tap on that bike. Only had it a couple of weeks as I didn't get on with it.

• 1 year later...

You could try ballancing the carbs with the YICS shut off tool, try this link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290466839478&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online