help with fairing repair

khayman
This post is 5393 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 1987 fz600 has developed cracks on the top fairing (where it joins onto the middle section), on the right hand side a piece has broken away where the two parts fix together. I think its developed due to the middle section missing fixings to the frame (by the exhaust) and the fairing rattling around.

Whats the best way to fix the plastic? Some friends have suggest epoxy resin?

I originally bought the bike with a view to junking the fairing and turning it into a street fighter however I kind of like

the fairing.

Does anyone have any pictures of the fz without the fairing? Any ideas on a good headlight re the street fighter option?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My 1987 fz600 has developed cracks on the top fairing (where it joins onto the middle section), on the right hand side a piece has broken away where the two parts fix together. I think its developed due to the middle section missing fixings to the frame (by the exhaust) and the fairing rattling around.

Whats the best way to fix the plastic? Some friends have suggest epoxy resin?

I originally bought the bike with a view to junking the fairing and turning it into a street fighter however I kind of like

the fairing.

Does anyone have any pictures of the fz without the fairing? Any ideas on a good headlight re the street fighter option?

Thanks

a couple of photos of my fz without the fairing on,as mervin said plastech is great for cracks and repairs on fairings

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

hope the photos help. :rolleyes:

Hi I also have a 1987 FZ600 and when purchased had already been plastic welded by a previous owner. I was wondering if anyone knows the paint code for the blue and white of the fairing or how to get them. Any tips on how to get the decals would also be great. I am a bit clueless as this is my first motorbike restoration project! I have added a couple of pictures as I think there were two colour schemes for this model of bike.

DSC00016.jpg

a couple of photos of my fz without the fairing on,as mervin said plastech is great for cracks and repairs on fairings

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Cheapskate using parcel tape use ducktape next time have a bit of class eh

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, I have taken of the lower fairing for now - it doesnt look like an original fairing anyway and the connections on the fairing near the oil cooler are also missing. I will either look for a new lower section or for a different fairing.

Im in the same boat...my fairing is a bit tatty and paint job is in need of renewing. I saw one place on the web so far that does aftermarket fairings £195 for the full monty http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?ca...Bodywork-Panels

Ive looked for the decals and only found an american firm selling the full kit for $269...there probably is a UK based shop but i aint found it yet. But considering my bike is all red theres no point in getting the kit lol. What would be the best paint to use for respray (using cans) ....

For the repairs i used that fiber glass repair compound u can get it at Halfords or Wilko's...but i definately will look into getting the plastic weld.

What exhaust system u got Oldtimer? looks like mine, full Predator stainless steel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online