Whats the biggest rear tire I can put on a 78 xs 400?

78XS400
This post is 4906 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

see one of drewps previous posts, he runs the same as you, 90/90-18. That size tire will be fine for the front. I'd suggest getting new tubes every time you change tires. They are too cheap and too important not to change ($6.00/each). As for not needing to run tubes, yes you SHOULD run tubes. The tire may say tubeless but unless the wheel itself says tubeless you need to run them. Tubeless rims are made with different lip shapes to help a tire bead hold on the wheel better.

Ok, I have the mag wheels (I think, they are not spoke rims) so I will check when I pull it off, I am having a tire shop change and balance it for me so if it needs a tube I will just get one from there. I knew that back tire looked too small to begin with <_< , thanks for the help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, I have the mag wheels (I think, they are not spoke rims) so I will check when I pull it off, I am having a tire shop change and balance it for me so if it needs a tube I will just get one from there. I knew that back tire looked too small to begin with <_< , thanks for the help!

Totally welcome! I'm pretty sure our bikes share the same wheels and thus require tubes. Hope the bike rides better after the swap!

Pressures are 28 frt and 32 rear.

I'm running 33 front and 36 rear on my sizes!!

and you can have tubeless tyres, but as MD says you gotta get some tubes in there. the only xs 400's with tubeless are the dohc ones!

Guys, I am about to order the correct size tires and need to know if I will need a new inner tube to go from a 90 to a 110 tire?? I dont even know if I have tubes or not, the actual tires say "tubeless" on them so I am assuming that I dont have/need tubes. My Haynes manual says my front AND rear tires should be 3.50 X 18 so the closest to that is the 110/90/18 tire. I just ordered a new one off ebay for the back for $60 shipped. I think I am going to keep the 90 on the front as some websites that list the "specs" for these bikes has the front as a 3.00 inch which is a "90" size tire for the front.

Drewpy what size tire do you have on the front?

New tires AND new tubes is always the best advice.

New tires AND new tubes is always the best advice.

Just chenged tires and the old tire did not have a tube so we did not get a new one, the guy at the Yamaha ship says the spoke rims need tubes but my mag rims do not need tubes

Just chenged tires and the old tire did not have a tube so we did not get a new one, the guy at the Yamaha ship says the spoke rims need tubes but my mag rims do not need tubes

The Yamaha guy don't know what he's talking about. Tried it on mine without tubes, and when it got cold the back tire wouldn't hold air. Put a tube in and it worked like a champ. Don't be surprised if your tires won't hold air in the winter.

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is old but here is a chin sheng 120/90-18 on my xs400 bobber. it fits great just cant have the chain guard. Makes it nice at 70 on the freeway......low rpms

120.jpg

1201.jpg

I know this is old but here is a chin sheng 120/90-18 on my xs400 bobber. it fits great just cant have the chain guard. Makes it nice at 70 on the freeway......low rpms

lets see more of the bobber TCB!!

here's mine tracker with 4:00 x 18 rear and 3:50 x 18 front

newtyres.jpg

nice man. I will have to take some more pics.Where do i find some 18 inch spokes that will work for my 400. It has front and rear disk brakes.

you need to scour ebay uk for xs250's as they sometimes have the spoke wheels with disks ( like mine ;) )

those rear shocks are awesome.

on the tracker?

they are just some cheap ones i got from Stafford, (UK classic bike show) for £30, brand new

• 1 year later...

So consensus says best option for large-ish tires on a 400 are 110/90/18 front and rear? Any recs for street tracker tires? I've heard good things in general about Metzler and Dunlop but not specific models.

So consensus says best option for large-ish tires on a 400 are 110/90/18 front and rear? Any recs for street tracker tires? I've heard good things in general about Metzler and Dunlop but not specific models.

no, 90/90x18 front 110/90/18 rear

can't get K70's in 18's in the sizes i needed, ended up with chen shin copies. 3.00 x 18 front and 3.50 x 18 rear. look good too

Danke!

no, 90/90x18 front 110/90/18 rear

can't get K70's in 18's in the sizes i needed, ended up with chen shin copies. 3.00 x 18 front and 3.50 x 18 rear. look good too

Danke!

my bad, I got me memory mixed up re: tyre size, See what i put in the flat tracker thread

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online