XS1100 Transmission

christoph21
This post is 5411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been browsing for an XS1100 for a new project and I've found one for the right price I believe ($350 US). The bike was a daily driver until 2nd gear became broken. The bike is a 78 and I've browsed ebay for a set of gears. They're very reasonable at about $75 US for main axle with gears but they're from 1979 and 1980. I'm wondering if these will be compatible with this 1978? Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've been browsing for an XS1100 for a new project and I've found one for the right price I believe ($350 US). The bike was a daily driver until 2nd gear became broken. The bike is a 78 and I've browsed ebay for a set of gears. They're very reasonable at about $75 US for main axle with gears but they're from 1979 and 1980. I'm wondering if these will be compatible with this 1978? Thanks!

Hi Chris,

there is a fair chance those gears will fit but it does stand a chance that the g/box is fine and the 'hook' that holds the selector shaft in place is broken which will cause the bike to 'drop out' of second. This is no problem as the hook will be lay in the sump & can be ally welded back in the correct place ... unless somebady has had the sump off & removed the peice .... disaster you would need crankcases. either way the engine will need to be removed from the frame and striped to some point & tbh there are loads of bits in the 1100 so if you are not up to the task I would look for another bike. If you want to repair the bike I'll give you as much help as I can

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online