xvs 125 restriction rings. (fecked)

dogmeat
This post is 5352 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have heard there 2 restriction rings on the exhaust just before the header pipes. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?)

I would like to remove them but I've got a little problem.

dsc00038n.jpg

dsc00027s.jpg

As you can see the nuts on the studs are rusted into one big mess. Feckin things.

All I can think of is cutting them off, drilling out the old studs and putting another bolt on after.

Please tell me there is an easier way as its going to be a real pain.

Tar.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if i read this right you are talking xvs125 dragstar? well as far as i know there were no restrictor rings in my exhaust system! the thread you might have got this information from was for a xv125 virago as i read it also and then realised it was different, as the sprockets sizes they were talking about were so different, had my exhaust off a couple of times no rings in there.

if i read this right you are talking xvs125 dragstar? well as far as i know there were no restrictor rings in my exhaust system! the thread you might have got this information from was for a xv125 virago as i read it also and then realised it was different, as the sprockets sizes they were talking about were so different, had my exhaust off a couple of times no rings in there.

Hello mate , yes its a dragstar.

I have heard that its not in the exhaust but before the headder pipe.

So between the head and the header pipe.

Have you had it all off then? Nothing in there?

never came across anything like that when working on the bike, there are a lot of storys going about on how to make the bike faster in the archives on here and how to derestrict them the truth is they are not restricted the weight of the bike alone is enough restriction. have got the workshop manual and it shows no rings other than a sealant ring

From experience I would not advise you to try to drill out sawed off studs, Its a bloody minefield trying to do by hand and a head off job to do otherwise, better to dremmel the nuts off somehow and then remove the studs after heating with a blowlamp....BUT personally although I dont know for sure I'll admit, but I doubt if the baby drag has restrictors as it wont be a powerful engine to start with so would all be just a waste of time if that's the case.

Virago Xv 125 has restricions on exhaust,air filter and sometimes CDI & sprockets

But have you tried to strip down intake manifold and see if holes are standard or small restricted ones?

Also look if air filter intake hole inside of casing is same in size as on intake manifold.

Extracting rusted exhaust studs is a f##kin' pain in the butt - by the look of yours, I'd avoid it if at all possible.

However - I would advise you to get some anti-corrosion spray onto them!

"ACF-50" or "Rost off" are quite good - Spray a little onto the rusted parts regularly and it'll start to reverse the corrosion (making it easier for the poor dolt that ends up taking pipes off eventually)

(it'll smoke a bit when the exhaust heats up - but don't worry about that, it's normal)

never came across anything like that when working on the bike, there are a lot of storys going about on how to make the bike faster in the archives on here and how to derestrict them the truth is they are not restricted the weight of the bike alone is enough restriction. have got the workshop manual and it shows no rings other than a sealant ring

You ever noticed in the airbox there is a little rubber round thing that all the air needs to go through?

It looks like it sort of spins the air into the filter area. Its tiny! If all the air passes through there it was to be restrictave.

• 1 month later...

You ever noticed in the airbox there is a little rubber round thing that all the air needs to go through?

It looks like it sort of spins the air into the filter area. Its tiny! If all the air passes through there it was to be restrictave.

Yeah I did notice that! you can only just get your finger through it.

Ok well, I'll try popping it out and see what hapens. Bugger all I'm guessing.

I have heard there 2 restriction rings on the exhaust just before the header pipes. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?)

I would like to remove them but I've got a little problem.

dsc00038n.jpg

dsc00027s.jpg

As you can see the nuts on the studs are rusted into one big mess. Feckin things.

All I can think of is cutting them off, drilling out the old studs and putting another bolt on after.

Please tell me there is an easier way as its going to be a real pain.

Tar.

I had the same problem on my 125 Dragstar. Soaked them all with release oil every day for 2 weeks, then over the next few days worked on one bolt at a time. Managed to get them all out 1 by 1 and replaced with stainless steel and copperslip to prevent future corrosion. I had to drill out the hex cap screws though as the sockets were fecked. Start off with a centre drill as it will be guided by the socket and shouldn't wander as you drill down, slow speed, lots of pressure, cutting lubricant. Once the cap is off, you might then be able to get a small pair of grips on the remaining stud, or carry on drilling carefully with a 5mm drill. Once deep enough, tap the hole clean with a 6mm tap. Plenty of patience needed for this task. Good luck if you tackle it

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online