'71 Yamaha CT1 air filter unavailable...now what?

ranger
This post is 5414 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

the foam in my around my '71 CT1's air cleaner is totally disintegrated, and the part ( # 248-14451-00-00 ) is no longer available...can't even find a NOS one on eBay.

K&N's site offers some disc-shaped "clamp-on" replacement, which sells for $45, and i guess involves removing the stock air cleaner box.

wondering what the best solution is?

is there some way to replace the foam that's on the old air filter frame?

what would you do?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the foam in my around my '71 CT1's air cleaner is totally disintegrated, and the part ( # 248-14451-00-00 ) is no longer available...can't even find a NOS one on eBay.

K&N's site offers some disc-shaped "clamp-on" replacement, which sells for $45, and i guess involves removing the stock air cleaner box.

wondering what the best solution is?

is there some way to replace the foam that's on the old air filter frame?

what would you do?

Air filters for the CT2 are still available and i think they are almost the same. I would be looking into using one of those suitably modified rather than one of the aftermarket things. In my experience they very rarely do any good on a std motorcycle. They either get wet easy or they leave you messing with jetting to get it to run.

No the carb settings between the two models is broadly the same so the filter must be a similar draw. Its just a case of fitting it into your housing. Its the same shape and from what i can see the same size so you may be able to use the frame from one and the foam from the other.

For my RS100 I bought pre-oiled filter material in a sheet (usually 1 foot by eighteen inches) 3/4" thick at a local bike shop, then cut to fit around my filter frame. Not perfect but it works. If you use a "pod" stlye filter it could cause the engine to run lean, meaning you may have to adjust the carb.