Oil check on V Star 1300

BobH
This post is 2621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am new to the form and am having trouble checking the oil through the display port hole. Not only is it difficult to prop the bike up straight but the port hole seems to be hidden behind the side stand. Any tips would be helpful.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am new to the form and am having trouble checking the oil through the display port hole. Not only is it difficult to prop the bike up straight but the port hole seems to be hidden behind the side stand. Any tips would be helpful.

yes, I am still having difficulty seeing in the view hole since it's right behind the kick stand.

Think you'll find that's a 'design feature' of all Yammy cruisers, mate.

YAMAHA, you bastards - If you're listening - Design your bikes better will you!!!!!

You need it upright, either jacked or with someone sat on it.

Then get your head down on the filthy floor, shine a torch at the sight glass (making sure you've rubbed it clean first) and then shift both about until you can see the level.

It will possibly require tilting the bike slowly from side to side (it needs to lean quite a lot) until you can make out the oil level.

Maybe use a mirror if you can't get your head down there.

If you still cannot see the oil, then you have probably run it dry and must fill up NOW!!!

• 7 years later...
On 6/22/2009 at 9:43 PM, Ttaskmaster said:

Think you'll find that's a 'design feature' of all Yammy cruisers, mate.

YAMAHA, you bastards - If you're listening - Design your bikes better will you!!!!!

You need it upright, either jacked or with someone sat on it.

Then get your head down on the filthy floor, shine a torch at the sight glass (making sure you've rubbed it clean first) and then shift both about until you can see the level.

It will possibly require tilting the bike slowly from side to side (it needs to lean quite a lot) until you can make out the oil level.

Maybe use a mirror if you can't get your head down there.

If you still cannot see the oil, then you have probably run it dry and must fill up NOW!!!

And the same goes for the rear brake fluid level as well on the XVS 1300... What an absolutely ridiculous place to put the reservoir, they could have put it any number of positions in the same vicinity, but no is has to go in a place impossible to get at or to even check the level... lol.... ahhh well, it is a great bike and i love it for all it's foibles  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online