how do i check the oil level on a 1982 xt550 ?

edmonds
This post is 5397 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello to all only just joined the other day and i'm picking your brains already ! :unsure: i've got a 1982 yamaha xt550, i've changed the oil, drained it from engine and frame, changed the filter, then put 1 1/2 of oil back in frame, then the last bit through the rear tappet inspection cover, with the kill switch off kicked it over till some oil come out of the filter housing then started it up run o.k, when it got hot i turned it off left it 5 mins and checked the level with the dipstick but it read just over the empty mark ?, i have found and checked how much oil goes in (1900cc), i've only just had it so not fully sure where i'm going wrong, any help would be grateful, many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello to all only just joined the other day and i'm picking your brains already ! :unsure: i've got a 1982 yamaha xt550, i've changed the oil, drained it from engine and frame, changed the filter, then put 1 1/2 of oil back in frame, then the last bit through the rear tappet inspection cover, with the kill switch off kicked it over till some oil come out of the filter housing then started it up run o.k, when it got hot i turned it off left it 5 mins and checked the level with the dipstick but it read just over the empty mark ?, i have found and checked how much oil goes in (1900cc), i've only just had it so not fully sure where i'm going wrong, any help would be grateful, many thanks

Hello, if your are putting in the 1900cc then you should be fine. I would check the oil with the bike standing straight upright. Also see if the oil might be leaking from the oil seals, drain plug, or around the case if you think your losing some.

Hi,

I assume that the 1 and a half you put in was in British pints.

1900cc is the equivilent of just over 3.3 pints so you still have a ways to go yet.

Regards.

Hi,

I assume that the 1 and a half you put in was in British pints.

1900cc is the equivilent of just over 3.3 pints so you still have a ways to go yet.

Regards.

alright, it says in a manual 1900cc that comes out at 1.9 litres i found out on several weight and lenght converter web sites, thats british yes, well i'm gonna have a other look later after work, thanks

Hello, if your are putting in the 1900cc then you should be fine. I would check the oil with the bike standing straight upright. Also see if the oil might be leaking from the oil seals, drain plug, or around the case if you think your losing some.

alright, ye i've had a look over and there an't any leaks at all, just wondered after i started it up and got it hot how long should i leave it before i check the level is o.k, many thanks.

It needs 3.3 pints which is a lot different to 1900cc. (One and a half pints is 850cc).

You will need to check the valve in the crank to check that the oil is not just being dumped into the crankcases. Remember too much oil will blow seals, or worse.

Check the model number but look Here

It needs 3.3 pints which is a lot different to 1900cc. (One and a half pints is 850cc).

You will need to check the valve in the crank to check that the oil is not just being dumped into the crankcases. Remember too much oil will blow seals, or worse.

Check the model number but look Here

Dont forget the XT550 is a four stroke which requires oil in the crankcase unlike a 2 stroke which only needs oil to lube the gearbox & clutch.

From my time servicing XT550, if the oil level was correct before you drained & refilled the oil it would point to doing something incorrect. The way we used to do it was as follows :-

Drain oil & Replace filter

refill the oil to the max mark on the stick

remove the bleed screw in the oil filter housing & start the engine

stop the engine & replace the bleed screw when a good spurt of oil comes out

run the engine for say 5 mins (to allow the gearbox to fill)

allow the engine to cool off for 10 mins

check the level and top up to the max mark

If the oil was drained from the frame & the gearbox drain you will need to refill both (engine & gearbox) which will take more oil than just draining the oil out of the frame.

Regards Jim

Dont forget the XT550 is a four stroke which requires oil in the crankcase unlike a 2 stroke which only needs oil to lube the gearbox & clutch.

From my time servicing XT550, if the oil level was correct before you drained & refilled the oil it would point to doing something incorrect. The way we used to do it was as follows :-

Drain oil & Replace filter

refill the oil to the max mark on the stick

remove the bleed screw in the oil filter housing & start the engine

stop the engine & replace the bleed screw when a good spurt of oil comes out

run the engine for say 5 mins (to allow the gearbox to fill)

allow the engine to cool off for 10 mins

check the level and top up to the max mark

If the oil was drained from the frame & the gearbox drain you will need to refill both (engine & gearbox) which will take more oil than just draining the oil out of the frame.

Regards Jim

thanks for that jim, i did all what you said pretty much the same as what you said other than i left the kill switch off and kick it over till the oil come out the bleed hole in the filter housing, then started it up and let it run for a while, went to work on it the next day and checked it when i got to work, just needed a little bit more which was 300 ml more on top of the 1.9 litres i put in when i changed it, so............., the oil in the frame design sounds all a bit forigen to me as i've never had a bike that uses that idea, thanks for the help

thanks for that jim, i did all what you said pretty much the same as what you said other than i left the kill switch off and kick it over till the oil come out the bleed hole in the filter housing, then started it up and let it run for a while, went to work on it the next day and checked it when i got to work, just needed a little bit more which was 300 ml more on top of the 1.9 litres i put in when i changed it, so............., the oil in the frame design sounds all a bit forigen to me as i've never had a bike that uses that idea, thanks for the help

Hi Edmonds,

good old dry sump engines !!! I would guess the extra oil was lost to the gearbox but as long as it is sorted .... cool

Regards Jim

• Confused 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online