planning my first tour, tip ideas etc

uzi_999
This post is 5405 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all,

planning to ride up to good old nuneaton, need to be there on 3rd july..

Im familiar with the roads and stuff up there, and got a few friends in cov, so no probs with that, BUT for the past however long ive been going up there and coming back, its been in my cars (over the years)..

For the first time, i plan to go by bike, got a ybr125 (yup, im a 'CBTer'), and so the route is not so bad, the A5 goes straight up there..

What worries me is...

-What things to take with me??

-How long should it take me?? *clicky* my proposed route *clicky*

-What to watch out for on a bike riding for so long?

-:yeahthat: but the rider (me) - what to watch out for in me, fatigue etc?

Ive ridden around london, been a bit windy, but have managed so far.. Trip to southend was a little windy, but i expect this ride to be pretty damn windy? any tips?

I plan to keep my luggage minimum, and in by tailbag, and some of the stuff over my tank (cargo net-ted) to give better weight distribution, and 'road-hug'..

pls let me know your tips and comments..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey all,

planning to ride up to good old nuneaton, need to be there on 3rd july..

Im familiar with the roads and stuff up there, and got a few friends in cov, so no probs with that, BUT for the past however long ive been going up there and coming back, its been in my cars (over the years)..

For the first time, i plan to go by bike, got a ybr125 (yup, im a 'CBTer'), and so the route is not so bad, the A5 goes straight up there..

What worries me is...

-How long should it take me?? *clicky* my proposed route *clicky*

Ive ridden around london, been a bit windy, but have managed so far.. Trip to southend was a little windy, but i expect this ride to be pretty damn windy? any tips?

I plan to keep my luggage minimum, and in by tailbag, and some of the stuff over my tank (cargo net-ted) to give better weight distribution, and 'road-hug'..

pls let me know your tips and comments..

water proofs water proofs and water proofs lol make sure you have all the kit on not just some cumfy jeans proper kit erm you will defo need to have a lot of wee's lol just been on a bike tends to afect ure blader idk y lol

and will be verry windy so you just need to face and if you feal your self geting tired because of it just pull over you tend to blink a lot when geting tired.

i would say its going to take you a good 4hours maybe more depends on the wind

and you come past my way :P im in rugby

On a 125, A roads are as boring as Motorways/Dual Carriageway are on a bigger bike, forget this direct route and take the long way. OK, so you realy aren't going far by most standards (a commute to some!) but as you say, it's your first 'real' trip so make it a happy one. Try to find a reasons to de-tour, to see something - or just for the pure hell of it!!

I often get asked this advice from first time overlanders, I guess the advice is the same no matter what the destination.

Think the ride through, day by day and put everything you would normally use in a pile (kinda think about getting up, brushing your teeth, washing, getting dressed, eating, crapping, etc etc). The look at what you have and see where you can double up (do you really need 3 teeshirts and 3 pairs of jeans for that 3 day trip ??). When you've reduced the pile a bit try to pack it all on the bike. When it doesn't fit, lay it all out on the floor (so you can see it all) and look again at what you really don't need. Rather than taking a bottle of shower gel and a bottle of shampoo, get a small bottle and put enough shampoo in it for the trip, and take a bar of soap instead. It's all about thinking about what you need against what you live with day-to-day.

Consider the weather, and how it will change. make sure your M'cycle gear is adaptive without the need to have loads of different stuff. Leather is fine, but you need to keep it dry in the rain. Goretex is great if you have quality gear - it can be crap if it has a fault!!

Don't get bored - like I say, take an interesting route, stay clear of traffic as best you can, if you feel your backside getting stiff/numb then stop, have a coffee/tea/coke/mars bar etc etc take a few pictures, get back on the bike and ride a bit more. You can keep alert (if you feel you're getting tired) by commentry riding, (read out the road hazards as you see then, speak out the risks and the action you are going to take), this will keep your mind awake, and you'll improve your riding at the same time.

City riding is just one aspect of being on a motorcycle, open road is way better. You'll have other stuff to contend with too, overtakes, bends, junctions, rain, hail, fog, wind you name it - it's out there....

Wind -> the key is to reduce speed a bit and adjust your road possition to account for where the wind is going to blow you. On a 125 you are going to have the added hazard of idiots in cars trying to pass you in YOUR safety space. Keep an eye out for this and defend your road where you can, but don't do it at the expense of safety. Alays be prepaired to give up possition for safety - you'll live longer!

Watch out for gaps in the hendges, junctions, walls, houses where the wind will pick up - remember that you are provided protection from side winds when going past these so don't let it catch you out when the gap appears.

-

Have a test ride with the bike fully loaded, cover 10 of so miles, then put the bike away for the night. Next morning when you get on it it won't feel so heavy. Rememebr the extra weight as it's going to affect your performance, don't be half way past a truck when you remember you've not got the power to get past in time to get out of the way of the oncoming car.

Happy riding, take your time and enjoy the ride.

Before you go check oils, tyre pressures etc. Don't stop in the Coach and Horses by the "O's" ground for a pint.

Charge your phone and top up if you are prepay.

Fill with fuel before you load up. Make sure you can fill up without taking too much stuff off the tank.

Definitely light waterproofs and basic tools

What you need when you get there. Don't forget that you can pick up jeans and t shirts in Tescos for a fiver when you are there. You can also consider posting back any surplus stuff to lighten the load on the way back.

Get recovery (it comes free with some bank accounts so check. and a flexible friend.

Stop when you want to. lots of A road truckers stops around.

I would go Hertford, Bedford, Northampton kind of way.Dont use the A14 or similar roads. A lot are duel carriageways and a chore on a bike.

Longest day ride. From Bol'dor via marseilles, Paris, Dover- Calais ferry, Harlow. Left Marseilles at 4pm. In the shower at home at 6am.

thanks all for the tips :D

yupyup barwell, nuneaton isnt too far from rugby ;) ..

gas up lets go - going to take my phone with me, so got a nice camera, gonna take fotos along the way, st. albans, along milton keynes grid roads (i did a 2000 word report on them at uni without even having seen them! :P - hope my lecturer doesnt ride a yammy, and hope he dont use this forum). theres many places to stop for a cuppa and a mars bar, them trucker stops are somewhat friendly (so long as u offer them a cuppa and a mars bar too :blush: )..

Wont really need much luggage, a change of clothes, and gonna be living with an old friend (ex-teacher) and his family, so no need for cosmetic n bathroom stuff (except tooth brush , obviously :rolleyes:) ill take my security chain and both locks with me - i\'ll have my rucksack (karrimor airspace 25 - the old model).. its got a waterproof foldaway cover - so has my humpback tailpack..

Ive got textiles, and a waterproof liner inside em.. ill pick up a waterproof over-jacket from camping shop, had a pair of waterproof over-trousers (somewhere in dads \'building-work\' car :unsure: )

And the bike seems good enough, they chose.... the... YAMAHA YBR125!!!.. ill do the tyres, oil etc, night before, and on the morning as i leave..

and dirtydt - thanks for the tip, ill try using a little longer route, so long as ive got cover from buildings, trees etc (as opposed to the open a-road dual carraigeways)

and im considering getting an AA membership - was speaking to one of their biker patrols in central a while ago - theyve got a few bike specific mobile units - a full bike workshop in a van!! :o

thanks all :thumb:

Longest day ride. From Bol\'dor via marseilles, Paris, Dover- Calais ferry, Harlow. Left Marseilles at 4pm. In the shower at home at 6am.

thought i read in the shower at home at 6pm - was thinking wtf, WOW!! two hours :blink:

*EDIT*

got a slightly different route - *CLICKY* - the destination may be a bit different, but this is to the house, as opposed to the event location (going to and fro them two is a piece of cake - done it MANY times, too many)..

i plan to have a pitstop in ayelsbury, and two quick sit-downs (if needed) in buckingham and brackley..

final pitstop in banbury, freshen up, and a nice long straight to cov!! a bit like A,B,C - Ayelsbury, Banbury, Coventry!! (wont get to see st. albans, but oh well.. theres always time for another tour.. plus i been there by car anyway)

thanks again..

:beerchug:

Luton :P

Edit: Ignore me, didnt see the new route :P

Theres some nice roads around aylesbury way, and a great bike shop with a burger van in the car park. Perfick for your first pit stop ;)On yer bike

Longest day ride. From Bol'dor via marseilles, Paris, Dover- Calais ferry, Harlow. Left Marseilles at 4pm. In the shower at home at 6am.

Some guest house near Bayonne -> Miranda De Douro (Portugal) -> Ijmuiden (Amsterdam), left France at 06:00, arrived in Ijmuiden at 13:00 the following day - stopped and fell over!. Stupidest thing I ever did.

Paris is very pleasant at 04:00 in the morning though......

Uzi

Much better route. better when you clear London and the other side of the M25. See Green Flag for rescue rates.

Forget the Mars bars.... Full english or at least a bacon butty and a mug of tea.

Use big superstores if you get caught short and carry half a toilet roll (flattened) in case you get REALLY caught short - if you know what I mean!!

Paris is very pleasant at 04:00 in the morning though......

Especially when it is cool, late summer!!

I just love the long trips. Pack a tent and a Youth Hostel card and head South to the sun. Such a buzz

......- i\'ll have my rucksack (karrimor airspace 25 - the old model).. its got a waterproof foldaway cover - so has my humpback tailpack......

Don't put too much in your rucksack..Light items only or it can hurt between your shoulder blades.

.......was speaking to one of their biker patrols in central a while ago.....

The Central Hotel, Barking Road <_<

I am a London guy - Though not any more. Lived in East Ham, Manor Park and Stratford - I knew I should have paid the mortgage - A Hammers fan but keep it to yourself ;) .

Don't put too much in your rucksack..Light items only or it can hurt between your shoulder blades.

Wont put heavy things in there, just the light stuff that are somewhat 'spacetaking' in the tailpack.. (clothes and stuff) :D

might have a trick up my sleeve nearer to the time, no promises tho, but ill post it up in the gallery if i do! ;)

The Central Hotel, Barking Road <_<

I am a London guy - Though not any more. Lived in East Ham, Manor Park and Stratford - I knew I should have paid the mortgage - A Hammers fan but keep it to yourself ;) .

Was on about central london,

:blink: :blink: central hotel?? is that like a biker hotspot??

Where abouts u been living? Got a mate down burgess road (east ham), probably know a few people in manor park, and quite a few down stratford :D thats all local, im over in Leyton.. (and yes, i support leyton orient :ssst: - not a proper fan tho, just local pride)

The Ruskin Arms (High St North, East Ham) used to be the bikers pub but not anymore.

If you want to biker mix go to the tea hut in Epping forest (Near the Robin Hood pub off Epping New Road) over the weekends.

I have not lived in London for a while but have Sons in Harlow. I used to take them to Orient when they were small.

If you want to biker mix go to the tea hut in Epping forest (Near the Robin Hood pub off Epping New Road) over the weekends.

:D thanks buddy..

Next time i go for my blasts ill swing by (although my blasts may not be what you all know as a blast cos its a 125 :( - but soon ;) )

A lot of people started on 125's so don't knock yourself. I started on a 90cc and after lots of bikes have come back to classic small cc bikes.

Remember....

It is not about the cc in your pocket but it is about where you have put that cc

• 2 weeks later...

It is not about the cc in your pocket but it is about where you have put that cc

I put it into my tour!! been and got back, was a nice journey learnt MANY things, and is such an experience!!

Had a good time - took the A5 straight up, due to leaving on Sat rather than Friday..

The original route up, as mentioned in previous posts was actually scrapped, as i was okay with the A5 all the way.. had a few pitstops!! Nice easy cruise at 50MPH (well, that all it could do all loaded up with luggage)

The journey up was LOVELY!!!

Had a good ride on Sunday - was with a biker mate who goes to the same uni in london, he happens to live in b'ham though, so gave him a call - went around Meriden and Warwick!! Coventry!! Been around Meriden and them country lanes in my car quite a few times, BUT a TOTALLY DIFFERENT experience on two wheels..

Same as riding thru St. Albans, the A5183 that goes up there, its like a nice windy (whine-dy, not win-dy :blink: )

road, shaded off by trees!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Didnt really appreciate it in the past driving thru in a car!

Journey back - it started to PISS down on Monday!! Stopped at a friendly carwash place in the middle of nowhere!! Had waterproofs - stopped to wear them but rain stopped and the sun came out stupidly bright (or so i thought) - so im riding along, and all of a sudden, it comes back with a vengance!! No where to stop for a good few miles!!

Took quite a few fotos, uploaded to my facebook profile - CLICKY..

good to see you had a great time ,not been to the museum keep meaning to go so appreciated the photos, must make an effort,sods law with the rain always happens to me should know better but no rain stops off come the waterproffs and two minutes later sudden down pour. :angry:

anyway now you have your first one under your belt spread your wings and keep safe. ;)

I am glad you had a great time and got back safely.

There is nothing like a road trip on a bike except a road trip on a bike and camping with beer and a BIG fire.

There is nothing like a road trip on a bike except a road trip on a bike and camping with beer and a BIG fire.

Well, i dont drink :unsure: , but the camping and the fire bit WILL be done sometime soon (when funds permit) - going to take a few local riding buddies with me.. :D

Looks like a good trip mate, triumph shop you stopped at (if its the one in Woburn) is about fifteen minutes from my house yet I've never been there :lol:

Yup, was the one in woburn! (they dont stock anything else, but triumph branded goods) was coming down the A5 and starving and needed the toilet!!

Stopped at a layby to stretch my legs and relax for a few mins, and seen a quite a few ppl pulling up, and pissing over in the bushes!! was tempted, but thought, naaaaa! ;)

Promised myself that i'd get off at next junction, and found the Triumph shop..

Wanna say thanks for taking the time to look thru the pics :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online