New memeber "86 Radian idle noise.

scottatyamaha
This post is 5425 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys new memeber here, I do some posting on other Yamaha forums r6messagenet and r1-forums with some of my other toys. I just picked up a cherry 1986 Yamaha Radian 600! I love the bike, it is a blast to ride and is in perfect condition with only 26k miles on it, not bad for a 23 year old bike. I have rode and owned many motorcycle in my riding career espcially since I have been a salesman at the local Yamaha dealership for the past 10 years. Something about this bike made it more enjoyable than any other bike I have ever rode and put the biggest smile on my face. I have been looking for this bike for about a year now and it fell into my lap!

Well to the point. I had my friend/tech look over the bike for me and do a oil change install a new chain and check everything out for me to be sure it was safe. The ony glitch on the bike is at idle the clutch discs rattle pretty bad when cold and still some when the bike warms. As soon as it is in gear and the clutch released all noise stops. I did some research and found out that this was normal problem for this engine, but what I could not find was if it was safe to ride and if it could cause any additional damage by not fixing (I can live with it). Also being new to the older bike scene is there anything else on this engine that I should check out and do for preventative maintanance? Also is there any other problems with this bike that are common? Thanks for the help guys and I hope to learn some and become a contributing member on this forum. Also plan to pick a late model XS when I can find a decent one.

Here is a pic of the bike for everyone to see and tell me what they think.

radian.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys new memeber here, I do some posting on other Yamaha forums r6messagenet and r1-forums with some of my other toys. I just picked up a cherry 1986 Yamaha Radian 600! I love the bike, it is a blast to ride and is in perfect condition with only 26k miles on it, not bad for a 23 year old bike. I have rode and owned many motorcycle in my riding career espcially since I have been a salesman at the local Yamaha dealership for the past 10 years. Something about this bike made it more enjoyable than any other bike I have ever rode and put the biggest smile on my face. I have been looking for this bike for about a year now and it fell into my lap!

Well to the point. I had my friend/tech look over the bike for me and do a oil change install a new chain and check everything out for me to be sure it was safe. The ony glitch on the bike is at idle the clutch discs rattle pretty bad when cold and still some when the bike warms. As soon as it is in gear and the clutch released all noise stops. I did some research and found out that this was normal problem for this engine, but what I could not find was if it was safe to ride and if it could cause any additional damage by not fixing (I can live with it). Also being new to the older bike scene is there anything else on this engine that I should check out and do for preventative maintanance? Also is there any other problems with this bike that are common? Thanks for the help guys and I hope to learn some and become a contributing member on this forum. Also plan to pick a late model XS when I can find a decent one.

Here is a pic of the bike for everyone to see and tell me what they think.

radian.jpg

Hi

To remove the rattle you indicate just balance the carbs correctly. but as you work(ed) within the industry your tech guys should know that ... but I guess UK bikes could be set up a bit different and may rattle in a different area !

Regards Jim

I'd definitely remove the clutch-side engine cover and replace all the clutch friction discs and springs with a Barnett system. Good investment, and stronger clutch grip.

Also, sync those carbs. Mandatory to keep these old girls rockin!!!

Elimax

I'd definitely remove the clutch-side engine cover and replace all the clutch friction discs and springs with a Barnett system. Good investment, and stronger clutch grip.

Also, sync those carbs. Mandatory to keep these old girls rockin!!!

Elimax

Hi Elimax,

dont forget the rattle is the primary chain flapping about due to each cylinder trying to idle at different speeds which tends to give the noise problem replacing the clutch plates may help the bike but just think of trying to fix something that may not be broke (the clutch) ! the rattle/knock will go with ½ an hour on the carbs !

Regards Jim

Hi Elimax,

dont forget the rattle is the primary chain flapping about due to each cylinder trying to idle at different speeds which tends to give the noise problem replacing the clutch plates may help the bike but just think of trying to fix something that may not be broke (the clutch) ! the rattle/knock will go with ½ an hour on the carbs !

Regards Jim

Thanks for the help guys. Tomorrow I plan to have the tech sync the carbs. While I got your attention why do you suppose the noise stops with the clutch released in gear? Also I hear a pretty noticable tick as the engine warms up that speeds up with idle. I think it a valve just needs to be adjusted. Is this bike a shim adjustment or a shim under bucket adjustment. Any thoughts on that? Just want to make sure that my tech looks at all aspects. Thanks.

Thanks for the help guys. Tomorrow I plan to have the tech sync the carbs. While I got your attention why do you suppose the noise stops with the clutch released in gear? Also I hear a pretty noticable tick as the engine warms up that speeds up with idle. I think it a valve just needs to be adjusted. Is this bike a shim adjustment or a shim under bucket adjustment. Any thoughts on that? Just want to make sure that my tech looks at all aspects. Thanks.

Hi,

same problem !

Regards Jim

Hi

this motor just tends to have the shims just below the cams and tbh they dont give a problem as long as the bike has been set up correctly. So how did the refetle go ?

Regards Jim

I just picked up your look alike last week.

I just did a full service on my bike. With regards to to engine- after you change the oil- there is a screw on the right ride beside #4 spark cable, after you change the oil- you have to loosen this screw to see if you getting oil to the heads, if you see oil seeping around the screw your good,tighten it back up.

Your clutch needs adjusting, you may just have a worn or damaged spring in the clutch case, easy fix.

Just a question for you was wondering what your rpms are at idle and driving at 80 KM in 6 th gears.

Mine idles at 500 but it should be around 1100, The battery only charges at 1000 rpm.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online