Cleaning

*TQ*
This post is 5430 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've just picked up a 1997 XJ600N and although it's in fairly good nick it good do with a bit of TLC to get it looking good.

I'm fine with the chrome (chrome polish obviously). What's puzzling me is the engine. What should I use to get the air cooled engine a bit cleaner? It's obviously going to be a hard job (cleaning between the cooling fins etc...).

The other problem I have is a slight bit of rust on the frame. I'm happy sanding it etc... but I'm unsure the best way to repaint it. First thing is will I be able to get the correct colour? Second is how to paint it without stripping the bike right down. Will it look ok painted with a pot of paint and a brush? If not will I be able to mask the bike and spray it (it's near the headstock so won't be easy)?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you can tape on sheets of notebook paper to protect against overspray. Also Signing tape works great for masking of larger areas. Basically just tape off anything that your worried about getting paint on. Just make sure you pull the tape off while the paint is still wet. If you come right up to the edge of the tape with your spraying and let the paint dry you'll chip it when you pull the tape off.