Calling all SR250 owners - more help needed

loopy_lot
This post is 5431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry to keep bugging everyone but this is one that is annoying me nearly as much as the electrical problem we were having.

When we bought the bike it came without the centre stand or rear brake pedal. We managed to get hold of them and fitted them no problem, so we thought. The problem is the main centre stand seems to be going too far forward when putting the bike on it and the only way at the moment we can make it useable is to stand the bike with the stand on a piece of timber. This works but bot practical for MOT or traveling purposes.

I have scoured the net and found a few parts schematics for models other than the SR250SE and found something called the stand stopper but having looked at the underneath of the frame and the stnad there looks no where to put anything to stop the stand going so far forward.

Any help please.

Oh and btw, I am not about to bang head on brick wall, quite yet anyway <_<

Thanks, Lynn

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to keep bugging everyone but this is one that is annoying me nearly as much as the electrical problem we were having.

When we bought the bike it came without the centre stand or rear brake pedal. We managed to get hold of them and fitted them no problem, so we thought. The problem is the main centre stand seems to be going too far forward when putting the bike on it and the only way at the moment we can make it useable is to stand the bike with the stand on a piece of timber. This works but bot practical for MOT or traveling purposes.

I have scoured the net and found a few parts schematics for models other than the SR250SE and found something called the stand stopper but having looked at the underneath of the frame and the stnad there looks no where to put anything to stop the stand going so far forward.

Any help please.

Oh and btw, I am not about to bang head on brick wall, quite yet anyway <_<

Thanks, Lynn

Hi Lynne,

sorry to say (if the stand, brake pedal & pin are good) the frame is knackered (some one has put the bike on the main stand in the past useing the handle bars). You may find the holes on the frame that the stand pin fits through are now oval which will allow the stand to 'go over centre'. this will also be noticable if the brake pedal 'moves' when the bike is put on the main stand. If so all is not bad metal plates drilled to the correct stand pin size which are then welded to both sides of the frame (internal & extrenal) should fix it . if you need more info PM me

Regards Jim

Hi Lynne,

sorry to say (if the stand, brake pedal & pin are good) the frame is knackered (some one has put the bike on the main stand in the past useing the handle bars). You may find the holes on the frame that the stand pin fits through are now oval which will allow the stand to 'go over centre'. this will also be noticable if the brake pedal 'moves' when the bike is put on the main stand. If so all is not bad metal plates drilled to the correct stand pin size which are then welded to both sides of the frame (internal & extrenal) should fix it . if you need more info PM me

Regards Jim

that's what I had to do to mine. made big washers and drilled 3 holes around them to get some weld in there. also had to weld a "top" on the mainstand as this was worn as well ( both wheels touched the ground on mainstand)

drewps

that's what I had to do to mine. made big washers and drilled 3 holes around them to get some weld in there. also had to weld a "top" on the mainstand as this was worn as well ( both wheels touched the ground on mainstand)

drewps

Hi Drewps,

sounds like yours was a basket case !!! having to do the stand as well ! normally it would work without playing with the stand ... but I guess the bikes are somewhat older than I remember and it's not possible to draw a new stand from the stores !!

Regards Jim

Hi Drewps,

sounds like yours was a basket case !!! having to do the stand as well ! normally it would work without playing with the stand ... but I guess the bikes are somewhat older than I remember and it's not possible to draw a new stand from the stores !!

Regards Jim

Aye, it tool a while to restore!!

Aye, it tool a while to restore!!

Hi Drewps,

well at least you managed it .... do you know the cuase of this problem (stand going over centre & bent)

10 points for the correct answer

5 for a part answer

0 for ignoring !!

:lol::lol::lol:

Regards Jim

Thanks for your help again guys, this is not what I wanted to hear tho :(

I don't know if this is a common thing with the SR250's or not as every picture I have found on the interweb of these bikes either shows them with no main stand or with the stand chocked up like we are having to at the mo on wood. Also when the stand is up it bounces around. It's as if the spring ain't strong enough so we forked out (at great expense of £3) for a new spring and it made no difference. It still bounces around and sits in mid air. Is this normal or even legal? Would welding the washer on fix this problem too?

I can see we're going to have to take the darn thing off when the bike is finished

Thanks for your help again guys, this is not what I wanted to hear tho :(

I don't know if this is a common thing with the SR250's or not as every picture I have found on the interweb of these bikes either shows them with no main stand or with the stand chocked up like we are having to at the mo on wood. Also when the stand is up it bounces around. It's as if the spring ain't strong enough so we forked out (at great expense of £3) for a new spring and it made no difference. It still bounces around and sits in mid air. Is this normal or even legal? Would welding the washer on fix this problem too?

I can see we're going to have to take the darn thing off when the bike is finished

Hi Loopy_lot

The problem was caused by the bike being put on the main stand wrong ! (dragging on to the stand using the handle bars rather than the grab rail ) Which in turn put too much strain on the stand/frame & pin. tbh the repair is not too bad to do (as long as you have access to a welder). You may find that with the spring not holding tension the frame may be ok and it's down to a pin and main stand ... in saying that you have brake pedal wobble the frame is likley to have wear ! sorry

Regards Jim