FZR 1000 EXUP??

AndiG
This post is 5287 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest bobbyo

Andi - I'm also new on her and have just bought a YZF750R. As your problem was EXUP related, thought I would ask here. How does a dodgy EXUP manufest itself - how do you know that it has gone? Peformance I assume but what is the ride like without the valve?

Cheers, BobbyO

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Andi - I'm also new on her and have just bought a YZF750R. As your problem was EXUP related, thought I would ask here. How does a dodgy EXUP manufest itself - how do you know that it has gone? Peformance I assume but what is the ride like without the valve?

Cheers, BobbyO

Dodgy Exup valve = crap performance under 4000 revs.

It might be the cables just need adjusting or the valve needs lubing.

Excellent buddy...........thanks very much for all your help!! I'll get them ordered and whack them on......

Thanks again mate.................... :thumb:

No worries, let us know how you get on with the new headers.

• 3 months later...

oh my goodness!!! you guys are talking about exactly what is causing me much pain and suffering!!!

I have only had my 92 fzr 1000 exup for 1000 miles or so (like a year) and i have only been riding for a few years.

all that to justify why i had NO IDEA why my fzr ran LIKE CRAP below 3500 rpm or so.

i thought some carb maintenence would do the trick, so i took it in.

they told me i needed new o rings. $220 later, new o rings. oh, btw you also need new diaphragms. well, im already out $220 (parts only!), so why not another $400?! hmm... could be the valves too. fine, do the danged valves. all told, $1100 and the bike runs THE SAME. wonderful.

and then i begin learning about exup, and run into this thread, and bingo!!!

well, i actually have yet to run out and take a look and see if i still have an exup valve or not, im guessing not. i think the pipes are aftermarket... so basically im screwed, right?

anybody out there still subscribed to this thread??? please reply if you are familiar with fzr 1000 exup and the like!!

thanks

ok, i finally went out and take a looksie. no exup valve to be found. if the parts diagrams online (cycle parts nation etc.) are accurate, the oem exhaust was four into one. and where the four went into one was like a little chamber looking thing that apparently contained the exup. so, it appears that i have an aftermarket exhaust system. it goes 4 into 2 into 1 and then a very cool looking/sounding hindle stealth can. i can only assume that the guy who did this paid attention to re-jetting etc if needed. so perhaps my fzr actually has better top end performance, but i am guessing that id be much happier with the stock setup. the top end was probably not much different (who knows, i have very little experience with what an exhaust system can do to a bike like this) and ill bet that the <4k rpm area was far easier to live with. as of now, i have to very gingerly open up the throttle when starting from a dead stop or else the engine will bog down quickly and severely. once i am rolling at 20 mph or so, 1st gear is up high enough on the tach to be out of the trouble zone, so at any speed higher than that i can avoid the troubled rpm range by running in a lower gear. which of course is annoying as heck to me. i dont frequent the track, just city roads and freeway. i wish i has usuable low end torque rather than a freer breathing high rpm screamer. ah well, im not about to pay $800 for all the oem parts (which are on backorder anyhow), so i guess ill just live with it the way it is.

not that anyone is reading this thread anyway.

Firstly, hello everyone! This is my first post and already looking for somehelp.....sorry!!

I am taking delivery of a 1989 FZR 1000 EXUP tomorrow (always wanted one!) and apart from the exup valve being seized it's really clean! So, to my first question.......where isbest place to find an EXUP valve (servo still fine)?? Also, would a FZR 400 valve work (as there seem to be a few of those about!!).

Lastly,.....I've read the spec of the bike and it states the tyre sizes as front - 130/60/17 and rear 170/60/17. Can more commonly available tyre sizes fit....to get more choice??

Thanks very much all.........

Hi

First time posting so I hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread.

I had a "Genesis" new in '87 and I've taken the "modern" plunge!!

I've just bought a '96 foxeye FZR1000, the owner has given me the Exup valve and associated bits and pieces in a bag as he has blanked off the Valve as it had siezed up.

I have tried the servo motor which doesnt spin when turning on the ignition but with the ignition off I can spin it by hand and when I turn the ignition on it spins to the same point everytime, only 1 way not back and forth.

I refitted the valve and held it by hand with the engine running and in the closed position it rattles like mad.

Both cables are snapped but I can get new inners made.

What do you all reckon, should I just leave the valve blanked off or if you thing the servo is OK do I refit it all and put up with the valve rattle.

PS even with it seizing it doesnt seem to of worn the shafts on the ends of the Exup valve, so why does it rattle?

Sorry for all the questions in 1 go.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online