Removing rim tape

GordH
This post is 5433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys,

Is it difficult to remove rim tape (wheel stripes) from wheels? Any suggestions as to how best to go about it would be most welcome.

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

I suppose they sticl on, so a hair dryer, or heat gun would soften the adhesive backing enough to peel off

drewps

Yep, heat.

and if you're left with a load of gum on the wheel, Maplin do a product called "Label Remover" gets rid of the residue from most self adhesive stuff

Hi fellas,

Thanks for all the advice, I never thought of using a heat gun. The missus has one for craft work, which will probably do the trick then. Brilliant...

Gogser

Yep, heat.

and if you're left with a load of gum on the wheel, Maplin do a product called "Label Remover" gets rid of the residue from most self adhesive stuff

wd40 is the thing to remove gum, I kid you not!!

Yep, heat.

DO NOT use a Heat Gun ...... it will be far too hot and will:

1) blister the paint on the rim.

2) burn your fingers.

Use a hair dryer, it's nowhere near as hot as a heat gun.

DO NOT use a Heat Gun ...... it will be far too hot and will:

1) blister the paint on the rim.

2) burn your fingers.

Use a hair dryer, it's nowhere near as hot as a heat gun.

a heat gun is a craft tool not a paint stripper tool.

good point though

I have a Heat Gun . . looks like a hair dryer . . . blows hot air like a hair dryer . . . unfortunately it says Black and decker on the side!

Just thought I'd write my previous point as I don't know how intelligent you are ;) and some folk wouldn't have the sense then they'd come back on here moaning about the damage done! Better safe than sorry and all that !

Hi ChrisW,

Yeah that sounds a bit like the craft thingy my wife has - it's a glorified hair dryer only slightly hotter. Wouldn't consider using the paint stripper type, they're ferocious!

Thanks again to everyone for the replies!

Gogser

Just removed the tank warning stickers on my XVS950 with a hairdryer and WD40 to remove all traces of the glue. Worked a treat.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online