header pipe repair

djcrow22
This post is 5000 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A short while ago I read about repairing dented header pipes by filling with water and freezing it. Well, it works pretty well. Here are before and after pics:

107_4773.jpg

Before...

107_4786.jpg

After...

107_4787.jpg

Looks pretty good...

107_4784.jpg

Just out of the freezer...

107_4785.jpg

Thawing out...

107_4788.jpg

Duke, the guy running the show...

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice one, iv never seen a before and after pic on the freezing technique, done a good job there.

Cool dog by the way ;)

used to use this technique when i had Nitro Cars, quite often my beloved monster truck would end up flying off into a tree and leaving a nice dent in my shiny tuned pipe.

not sure how it would work with fuel tanks because of the contours and seams, may do more damage than good :unsure:

is Duke electric?, looks like he's wired into the mains!! :D

Genius :)

I never knew that and it's a good thing to know :) :)

You guys are too funny! Duke is three years old and pretty much runs the neighborhood. The electrical wiring goes directly into my fusebox and powers the house every time he barks which is a lot! As far as the pipe goes I didn't block the ends or anything like that. I just filled the two middle pipes with water and stuck it in the freezer. That's it. Maybe there is some one who can explain why when freezing the expansion which pushes out the dent doesn't just expand towards the open ends of the pipe! I thought about that myself but decided to just try it out. There are some smart guys out there so how about an explanation...

very good, I'll stick it in workshop

drewps

Hey Drew,

I'm new on the site. I saw you moved the header post over to the workshop. Should my FZ 750 rebuild be posted there rather than in the gallery? I'm fine with moving it there if that's where it should be. Thanks, Kevin

Hey Drew,

I'm new on the site. I saw you moved the header post over to the workshop. Should my FZ 750 rebuild be posted there rather than in the gallery? I'm fine with moving it there if that's where it should be. Thanks, Kevin

could do, then put the finished bike in the gallery in all its glory!!

could do, then put the finished bike in the gallery in all its glory!!

Ok then, go ahead and move it over...thanks, Kevin

You guys are too funny! Duke is three years old and pretty much runs the neighborhood. The electrical wiring goes directly into my fusebox and powers the house every time he barks which is a lot! As far as the pipe goes I didn't block the ends or anything like that. I just filled the two middle pipes with water and stuck it in the freezer. That's it. Maybe there is some one who can explain why when freezing the expansion which pushes out the dent doesn't just expand towards the open ends of the pipe! I thought about that myself but decided to just try it out. There are some smart guys out there so how about an explanation...

the reson is because the exposed ends freez first then it freezes towards the middle and when there isent any where to go it expands in any way it can and obviously the dent gets pushed back out

the reson is because the exposed ends freez first then it freezes towards the middle and when there isent any where to go it expands in any way it can and obviously the dent gets pushed back out

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the info, so now we know!

• 1 year later...

Wow...Thats fantastic, wonder if it will work on a dented fuel tank. So what did you do, bung one end up and fill with water?

Down Duke...DOWN... :o

I have heard from a few folks that letting your dented tank sit in the sun

(or use blowdryer on it

or apply some heat with fire? and alum foil protecting tank paint... option #1 best hehe)...

Then with heavy duty gloves suitable for dry ice... to take some dry ice and apply it to the dent...

Hold it down for a lil' and it'll pop out as long as dent isn't a 'hard dent' (has hard creases):

http://www.ehow.com/how_6620077_remove-dent-motorcycle-gas-tank.html

http://www.videojug.com/film/dent-removal-technique

btw nice technique, ill have to remember that in case ever need.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online