Yamaha DT125R 06 - HOW DO I MAKE IT FASTER?

This post is 3243 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I doubt 100mph from a dt but i admit i had 85mph out of mine and being followed by a GS1200 whilst out in Wales with a few guys one summer, BUT to add to that it was highly strung and did seize... so yeah theres no hope of getting any higher unless your bore it out big time. It also took a fair time to get there to, i honestly can not see why you would bother after personal experience as it just felt temperamental and i was just waiting for it to go bang.

Just wait and get a bigger bike its worth it ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Only mention of 100mph i see here is about other bikes. Dog22 stated about his DTX top speed being 85+mph(he started @ 90 then back-peddled 5mph), myself and a few others simply asked for proof in the form of a vid with gps.(doesn't seem to want to take me up on me offer though)

Are you willing to make a vid to prove this 85mph?

that sounds reasonable enough , niether dog or me have video equipment or gps at the mo but . leave it with us and we will work something out =D

ofcourse your welcome to come and have a go for yourself anytime =D

Edit: barwell you lucky sod, sounds like a real good opportunity there. If you mean a college placement interview, then good luck fella :thumb:. (if not, your still a lucky sod, always wanted to go to Silverstone. :P)

cheers :D and its a interview for tresham collage of motorsport, its a 1 year corce that leads on to a 1 year aprentiship skeem then another 1 year after that, both aprentiships are in actual race teams, and participate in classes like the ginetta cup :D, also go into to and have been offerd a place in level 3 motor sport at the trident center i wawickshire

apparently me doing IT for the last 2 years (collage) (IT pratisiners) will help a lot, as we have to do CAD drawings of car parts, so all in all it should be a good year :D

also hoping to take the SV for a spin around siverstone if i get the chance and can aford it (befor i sell it and ger a yfz 450 or 700, havent decided yet)

Guest MaD.VeZ

Sounds like a dream opportunity to me Barwell B)

As well as the chance to take a bike round silverstone, lucky is an understatement :P . Closest I've had is a taking my dads an old sherpa van around a closed Oultan Park when i was 15 (the 2 weeks fixing the blown engine was worth it). Will get back there on a bike one day.

Now excuse me while i go and turn green with envy in a corner somewhere. :icon_mrgreen:

Sounds like a dream opportunity to me Barwell  B)  

As well as the chance to take a bike round silverstone, lucky is an understatement  :P . Closest I've had is a taking my dads an old sherpa van around a closed Oultan Park when i was 15 (the 2 weeks fixing the blown engine was worth it). Will get back there on a bike one day.

Now excuse me while i go and turn green with envy in a corner somewhere.  :icon_mrgreen:

haha yup just need to get the place now :P

just hope i still have the bike by that time .... selling up after the summer as im getting somthing more versatile for the winter as a bike is usless in the snow :D

• 2 weeks later...

Im on the fence here, i remember posting on here when it was originally threaded. Personally my needle can wind round to 84 with all stock other that the earthed cable. Ive got a helmet cam on order from hong kong which should arrive in the next few days so when it does ill post a vid to show it. If i can get a gps to borrow ill attatch it somehow and film that too. Id be interested to see how close to 80 it really is. It doesnt take me the length of the m1 to reach this so i think that higher speeds are possible with other mods ( race exhuast, reeds, possible head replacement as mentioned by OG on another thread) amongst others. The powervalve being the main one as mine is currently set to do what, at the end of the day, it was designed for.....to spread the power throughout the rev range, rather than having a chugger, then when it enters the powerbands, a nutter. I would like to think that 100+ is possible out of a DT125, but personally i am not bothered whether mine does or not. 80mph on my clocks is fine for me.

Barewell, the thing you have to remember is that a bigger engine capacity does not neccesarily mean higher top end speed. I mean look at alot of the american cars sporting their big v8's. Without the right gearbox, weight, etc etc they are still going to be beaten by things with smaller pots and better design. Dont get me wrong, the dt should not be able to do the same performance as your MT-03 but if it can do 65 standard, im sure there is plenty of things you could tinker with to squeeze some more horses out of it, standard is 14.5bhp, and they say derestricted they get to 24. thats just de restricted, not tuned etc.

Anyway i wouldnt like to see someone go 110 on a dt for a number of reasons.

1. as someone said, DIRT tyres.

2. they arent designed to it.

3.the people whom are likely to try and get this out of her are (usually) learners desperate for extra power (learners for god sakes, like myself) could be 17 years old. 110mph into a tree can really mess up your gelled up hair!

Im currently researching for a documentary on the yamaha dt125 from 1968-2007, if anyone has any info or anything they think might be useful it would be greatly appreciated! ----I know i keep mentioning it but i need as much info and contacts as possible as this is my final major project and could be my ticket to a career in film making. If that doesnt work i guess illmake my dt do a ton and find a tree :( *i jest i jest*

The other thing that suprises me is they make the bike faster yet dont upgrade the brakes which on the r model are pretty cr@p if im honest.

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing that suprises me is they make the bike faster yet dont upgrade the brakes which on the r model are pretty cr@p if im honest.

the DTR has a nissin single pot caliper on the front and rear which i agree is poo . the DTX which i have has brembo 4 pot caliper and 298mm disc on the front and 4 pot nissin caliper on the rear . thats why =D

I had the RE version so no fancy big wavy disc on the front to stop me, just as you said a naf brake and knobblies which just like to skid on tarmac...

• 3 years later...

Interesting read lol the guy who followed me home on my 125re hit 80mph, I know cause he stuck with me and I was reading the car speedo. Derestricted DEP exhaust and a few other things that I forget. Wouldnt want to try it myself just yet tho!

• 9 months later...

Why is it suddenly not important. The gentle massage of the odd sore point can keep threads going for WEEKS. biggrin.gif

So 90 from a DT? Nope, though I'd love to be proved wrong.

Enter Cardboard Dave,,, :yeah: what a thread this was eh,,,,,,,,,,,,, :headbang:

What a great thread.

Having owned a TDR and RD350YPVS (F2), can confirm that their standard top speeds were about 107-112; and 125mph respectively.

My present 2002 model DT125R runs on castrol fully synthetic, and is completely standard, except for the relocation (just taped up and moved out of the way) of the block connector in the back of the speedo.

On a good day (and because it has a carburettor ambient air humidity and temperature play a huge part) it's revved to 10,000 rpm in top, with the needle hitting the stop beyond 80 MPH.

I thought that although it felt quick, we were probably looking at a real speed of 72?

Then I got GPS. I couldn't believe it, my ACTUAL top speed is 82. Just 1mph slower than my old KH250 before I put a S2 top on it.

What's more, the speedo is never more than 2mph out. It's more accurate than my Jaguar (X-Type).

Totally bog standard, and owned by me since 2004.

I do believe that they can nudge 85, if they can hit 10,500 rpm in top, but I find talk of 90 mph hard to swallow, unless you go down the road to big bore kit, bigger carburettor, race exhaust. At least the air boxes don't need changing, I understand that they used the same ones in the DT200.

I love mine, at least I can max it out, chin on the tank, try that on my GSX-R750 and I'd end up in the back of a Volvo driven by Mrs Myopic.

I hope that that has helped clear things up.

Although I understand that the 2002 model was both one of the slowest and hardest to fully derestrict. There...All cloudy again.

Hmmmmmm

Nah,

Thanks for the welcome, specially from a fellow triple owner on a Yamaha site!

Ennit amazing, this thread's been dead for 4 years and then all of a sudden it gets 6 new msgs.

Just shows how good the OLD DTs were. Arguably the best learner 125 ever. I mean, Aprillia RS125s are great and fast, but you ever tried getting the rear sliding on one... In the mud? And DTs are built for crashing too.

I wonder how that bloke who had the interview at Silverstone got on?

You"ve a KH with S2 barrels , :jossun: . wheres are you, are you on The KTC forum,,, or Simons,,,KH- series ?

Dt"s are simple ,nimble little bikes , great for windy roads.. :yeah:

I'm down in Newbury. Was on the KTC a couple of years ago, helped me out when bloody ethanol melted the protective resin I'd put in the fuel tank just 3 years earlier.

It needed a complete engine strip, and I ended up meeting Alan Smith (one of Ricks network of people who know what they're doing), who sorted it out and then was able to hook me up with a S2 engine Rick had brought back from the USA and we canibalised the barrels, carbs, clutch, and oil pump.

If you do a Google for "kh250 s2 conversion" sometimes my post on a US site comes up as top suggestion, I think I may be the only one to have posted the dyno curves of a before and after 250/350 conversion using the same dynometer. In case you're wondering, with S1c pipes and standard air box, and Boyer Bransden ign it gave 27.7 bhp, and now it puts out 35.25 at the rear.

I've owned it since 1990 and it's been a flaming albatross around my neck ever since. Never a dull moment.

H2 and a Z900? Kawasaki got the styling exactly right with those bikes, if not the handling...

C'mon if you want to yaw on about kwaks that fine. But start a fresh topic.

OK, keeping the Yamaha small bike theme going, and respect to the guy who posted the (removed) comment about loving a Z1R, back in about 1992, I was offered a Z900 as a direct swap for my mint 18 month old RD350YPVS. I turned it down.

I don't regret it, the way I still see it is that yamaha developed the RD series, and the YPVS to run rings around those old dinosaurs - and they did. As a fast and forgiving ride the RD350LC and it's descendants were far superior, if I wanted vast and heavy, I had my KH.

I've now owned 3 YPVS powered bikes of different capacity.

The TDR was a thrill, but I sold it after 18 months from new. Too buzzy and a one trick pony.

The RD I kept for 5 years from new, but at 35,000 miles after rebuilding it, I realised it was gonna cost me a fortune.

I've had the DT for 9 and a half years. More grins per cc than any other bike I've owned. And only £ 16 a year road tax.

You never forget your first DT.