Yamaha DT125R 06 - HOW DO I MAKE IT FASTER?

This post is 3265 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think he is still recovering, the truck i currently use at work had higher delivery milage that that DT.

Ps OG, black is the only colour that a TDR should wear.

Contrary to all the sarcastic remarks about the DT125 lc topping 90mph , I do think it is possible smile.gif

Possibly ! " after bedtime and having eaten the correct type of cheese " biggrin.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

And i see uv shot down a few T.D.Rs O.Git, cool.gif

And i see uv shot down a few T.D.Rs O.Git, cool.gif

See, difinitive photographic evidence that the black ones are fastest.

my DT on gps will just do 85 flat out with the wind behind me. 70mph all day long. 17T front standard rear sproket. No DEP un restricted exhaust.DPp rear pipe

only to add here is that ive never seen a dt do over 100mph, its got problems with the wind factor and torque.

now a TZR RR model thats a differnt story! 110mph flat out!. same engine, better compression and a tuned barrel and head tied to a different ratios in the g box.

but hey, DT`s rock.

would love a WR125! and do some mods!

• 4 weeks later...

90mph haha dont think so my 660c does 110mph tops so ure almost asking the imposible unles u want to do big bore kits and bigger carb messing with the gearing

u will be lucky to get 80mph and thats geting sports exhaust replaceing the air filter uping the jet sizes in the long run its not worth the hastle you might as well do ure full license and get a biger bike like i did

sorry to burst ure bubble but to get 70mph out of it aint bad at all

Mate, hate to burst yours actually, but i've got a DT125X and i CAN just about get 90 out of mine!! :-P

haha you do realise your speedo is usually out by about 5-10mph .... or even more

i no longer have the MT-03 and now have a SV650 street fighter with 81bhp at the rear wheel it will do 135mph tops 9500rpm in 6th the speedo is out by 7mph (using gps to gain accurate speed) so my bike can do 128mph so some how i still dont think a DT can do any where near 90-100mph maybe with the speedo been off you may reach 90mph but your more than likely doing 80mph (speedometers are never correct) PS i have had RS250's drop off at 112mph and they are a lot faster than a DT

i wont back down until some one with a gps (accurate speed) and a video camera proves there DT can do 90mph+

Hey, i agree on ignoring this guy. I personally know 'bestwickdtx' and he is definately right! We've both got DTX's and we can Both get 85+mph out of them! And before that other guy steps in again to say the speedo is wrong, i've had my dad follow me in his car to measure it better and it WAS about 85! And all i've done is the wire behind the speedo that bestwickdtx was on about and a full dep system. So all this talk that they can't get that sort of speed is a load of boll***s cus there's two of us here that can with no probs.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Hey, i agree on ignoring this guy. I personally know 'bestwickdtx' and he is definately right! We've both got DTX's and we can Both get 85+mph out of them! And before that other guy steps in again to say the speedo is wrong, i've had my dad follow me in his car to measure it better and it WAS about 85! And all i've done is the wire behind the speedo that bestwickdtx was on about and a full dep system. So all this talk that they can't get that sort of speed is a load of boll***s cus there's two of us here that can with no probs.

If its true then you wont mind posting a vid with your speed shown on a gps then will you?

Me thinks you lads are gona kill your lil DT's doing these speeds cool.gif

If its true then you wont mind posting a vid with your speed shown on a gps then will you?

I'm with you mad, i want video. As i have said my TDR is similar in all dimentions bar power, LOTS more and much more torque importantly. Honestly a solid ton is all its good for unless you want to be eating pistons, so 90 from DT's. Nope maybe a genuine 80.

If someone gives me a video camera and a gps system then no i wouldn't mind!! :-P lol Don't know why everyone is getting so serious about all this anyway! Aren't we all just bikers that love to go out and have a blast and a good time?? So why is it so important what the mph is as long as you're riding with a smile on your face?! :-D

If someone gives me a video camera and a gps system then no i wouldn't mind!! :-P lol Don't know why everyone is getting so serious about all this anyway! Aren't we all just bikers that love to go out and have a blast and a good time?? So why is it so important what the mph is as long as you're riding with a smile on your face?! :-D

Why is it suddenly not important. The gentle massage of the odd sore point can keep threads going for WEEKS. :D

MaD knows his DT's, ive got one of the old aircooled jobbies and spent long enough round the early lc's DT or otherwise to know what they are good for thats all.

Way back, when we were flipping valves and finding out how the 'new' powervalve stuff could be made to work i don't ever recall 90mph DT's. Couple of TZR's got close to a ton but they were really worked over (and didn't last). The ONLY 125 i recall topping a ton was the Mito and that was only just. Full fairing, 25-30hp fully liberated, weigh nothing.

So 90 from a DT? Nope, though I'd love to be proved wrong.

ohh dear hear we go again

i tell you what i will ask some of the lads at silverstone when i next go (have a interview for the motor sport collage there :D April 29th) and see if any of them have seen the 125's crack much over 100mph and these are the fully race striped ones that produce 25+bhp, not road going bikes

Guest MaD.VeZ

I'm in Manchester with a video camera and gps.. Your welcome anytime.

Why its important to me.

A number of people on these forums have spent a lot of time and effort learning from experience, and calling said experience a load of bull kind of pisses me off, shows a lack of respect i don't much care for.

As you said, all you have done is, i quote "the wire behind the speedo". Out of curiosity, is that all your experience of modifying bikes?

IF your bike does happen to get 85+mph with just the wire derestriction, then I'll eat my words(and keyboard), and it will open up the possibility of the DTX going even faster still (if you wanted) as there is alot more can be done with the DT engine.

If not then you chalk it up to experience and learn from it.

Vez.

(Apologies for being grumpy, its 4am and i cant sleep!) :(

Edit: barwell you lucky sod, sounds like a real good opportunity there. If you mean a college placement interview, then good luck fella :thumb:. (if not, your still a lucky sod, always wanted to go to Silverstone. :P)

ohh dear hear we go again

i tell you what i will ask some of the lads at silverstone when i next go (have a interview for the motor sport collage there :D April 29th) and see if any of them have seen the 125's crack much over 100mph and these are the fully race striped ones that produce 25+bhp, not road going bikes

If you look at it from a different angle mate. This is never going to go away, the new kids on the block will always come with the 'i know best'.

I did when i was 17, and every generation before and since. One of these days you will come out with something that your dad said. Thats a moment in time i can tell you. Kind of stalls your brain for a bit.

So they come they gob off then they go and buy a car your mum would love cos the insurance will kill em on anything else and wreck that. Next time they think about a bike they will be 40 odd with 2.4 kids and a morgage :blink: .

Its just that in amongst the i'm faster brigade there are genuine motorcyclists coming of age like yourself and foamy. So needs must. The also rans will make 2 dozen posts and dissapear. :P

we all want a little bit extra out of our bikes but get real 90mph + out of a dt125 not a chance, if this was the case i would expect after all the years i have been riding bikes one would have overtaken me by now but not yet, seen one or two doing 70+ but anything more than that then we are in the realms of fantasy. :lol:

Wo wo wo wo

Where has all this talk of 100mph come from ? if you look at the original piece i wrote i never claimed i could reach 100 mph ! i didnt even claim i could hit 90 mph ! i said its more than possible . i pointed out i was a full grown man riding a DTX with 2 basic mods and getting 85 . that extra 5 or even 10 (if the speedo is as wrong as you say) wouldnt be much more difficult to achieve . if i was a foot and a half shorter and 4 stone lighter we would be halfway there . fuck even a more aero helmet would help get another 1 or 2 .

Guest MaD.VeZ

we all want a little bit extra out of our bikes but get real 90mph + out of a dt125 not a chance, if this was the case i would expect after all the years i have been riding bikes one would have overtaken me by now but not yet, seen one or two doing 70+ but anything more than that then we are in the realms of fantasy. :lol:

I should rent a trailer and Ferrari just to overtake you sat on my DT :P. Only way its gonna happen, unless you brake down or get a flat.

Wo wo wo wo

Where has all this talk of 100mph come from ? if you look at the original piece i wrote i never claimed i could reach 100 mph ! i didnt even claim i could hit 90 mph ! i said its more than possible . i pointed out i was a full grown man riding a DTX with 2 basic mods and getting 85 . that extra 5 or even 10 (if the speedo is as wrong as you say) wouldnt be much more difficult to achieve . if i was a foot and a half shorter and 4 stone lighter we would be halfway there . fuck even a more aero helmet would help get another 1 or 2 .

Only mention of 100mph i see here is about other bikes. Dog22 stated about his DTX top speed being 85+mph(he started @ 90 then back-peddled 5mph), myself and a few others simply asked for proof in the form of a vid with gps.(doesn't seem to want to take me up on me offer though)

Are you willing to make a vid to prove this 85mph?