Another 1985 fz750 rebuild

Cp3
This post is 5256 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here are some pics of the bike.

The whole thing is in pieces and spread out through out the shed

img_0392.jpg

img_0394.jpg

img_0400.jpg

img_0401.jpg

The beefed up swingarm

img_0404.jpg

Holy Smokes! Clarke actually took some pictures! Just busting your balls bro... Even without the motor in it your FZ looks GOOD. From what I can tell you have aftermarket brakes and carriers(manufacturer unknown, maybe Lockheed, carriers may be custom made) on the stock FZ forks. The other set of forks is identical to mine off of a Genesis FZR 1000 '87/'88 with the clip on bars are mounted under the steering head. Both front ends use the same tapered bearings and races. The swingarm appears to be the stock FZ part with the brace welded on and other welding mods for the shock(take some pics of the shock linkage and how it attaches to the swingarm, looks custom and cool to me). The shock itself appears to be laid down a bit, an old racing trick but I can't tell from the pic. The remote reservoir for the shock makes me think it might be a White Performance or even a Fox Shock. The rearset pegs might be custom made. Your Dad obviously could weld aluminum or had someone who could. The swingarm/shock/linkage setup looks custom and the brake carriers and rearsets look handmade. Pretty nice and unique parts. And a set of full rain tires to boot! So remind me, do you want to make your FZ street legal or keep it in race trim as a track day ride or what? Today I'm finishing re-roofing my woodshed where I had the other two FZ's parked. I'll get the silver FZ into the garage today(I promise!) and get started on dropping the motor and teardown. What I'm thinking is I can take pics and measurements of bolts ect and we can identify what you have and then what you're missing. It may take a little while but we'll get your end figured out and probably learn a lot about the motors in the process. Take care, keep the pics coming and I'll be in touch. Kevin

PS: Can't tell what you have for wheels, but they are not the FZR Genesis wheels. Get what info you can off of them: size,width ect. They might be Honda VFR 750 wheels, '83-85 vintage...

Holy Smokes! Clarke actually took some pictures! Just busting your balls bro... Even without the motor in it your FZ looks GOOD. From what I can tell you have aftermarket brakes and carriers(manufacturer unknown, maybe Lockheed, carriers may be custom made) on the stock FZ forks. The other set of forks is identical to mine off of a Genesis FZR 1000 '87/'88 with the clip on bars are mounted under the steering head. Both front ends use the same tapered bearings and races. The swingarm appears to be the stock FZ part with the brace welded on and other welding mods for the shock(take some pics of the shock linkage and how it attaches to the swingarm, looks custom and cool to me). The shock itself appears to be laid down a bit, an old racing trick but I can't tell from the pic. The remote reservoir for the shock makes me think it might be a White Performance or even a Fox Shock. The rearset pegs might be custom made. Your Dad obviously could weld aluminum or had someone who could. The swingarm/shock/linkage setup looks custom and the brake carriers and rearsets look handmade. Pretty nice and unique parts. And a set of full rain tires to boot! So remind me, do you want to make your FZ street legal or keep it in race trim as a track day ride or what? Today I'm finishing re-roofing my woodshed where I had the other two FZ's parked. I'll get the silver FZ into the garage today(I promise!) and get started on dropping the motor and teardown. What I'm thinking is I can take pics and measurements of bolts ect and we can identify what you have and then what you're missing. It may take a little while but we'll get your end figured out and probably learn a lot about the motors in the process. Take care, keep the pics coming and I'll be in touch. Kevin

PS: Can't tell what you have for wheels, but they are not the FZR Genesis wheels. Get what info you can off of them: size,width ect. They might be Honda VFR 750 wheels, '83-85 vintage...

Got the motor out...

107_4777.jpg

107_4779.jpg

107_4781.jpg

Got the motor out...

107_4777.jpg

107_4779.jpg

107_4781.jpg

Clarke, Did you find a gasket kit yet? Here's one:

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=2147965qqq25668

There's a bunch of other parts here as well, later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey atleast you are making progress! I still have yet to make any progress unfortunately....

The shock is a fox shock and I did try to take pics of the linkage but I have to upload them through my other computer so Ill try to do that tonight but well see.

Also I think Im just trying to return it to race spec like he had it back in the day. I thought the rear sets were custom because when you sit on the bike they seem pretty high. and Im trying to figure out where the resivor for the fox shock was held in place because right now it just hangs there...

Also I think Im just trying to return it to race spec like he had it back in the day. I thought the rear sets were custom because when you sit on the bike they seem pretty high. and Im trying to figure out where the resivor for the fox shock was held in place because right now it just hangs there...

• 5 months later...

Clarke,

How are you doing? Just wanted to say hi and see how school/work is going. Things are good here although I've been sick off and on for a month! Bronchitis and colds... just won't go away. Drop a line when you can, Kevin

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online