125 Dragstar maxing at 50-55 - Help?

HM125
This post is 5400 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

Would really like some advice - a month ago bought the Dragstar and (Very proudly) drove it back to mine - just took it out again and nothing obviously wrong on first inspection but it has lost all top end power!?

Will not maintain speed in fifth and have to drop to forth on straight roads! Something is wrong... any ideas?

Thank you for your help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When did it last have a good service?

- airfilter

- oil

- oil filter

- valve clearances'

etc...

Very recently... Just before I bought it... Oil clean, no issues with that and new air filter on - checking valve clearance.... now how difficult is that?!?

It can be a bit tricky, although it's well worth knowing how to do...

I never did it on my 125 dragstar, but on the 650 it's not so much "hard" as just "a bit of a pain"...

Do you have a manual?

Check it all again, or get it checked by someone that you trust.

Plugs, oil, filters, chain... the whole works.

On a motorway or NSL dual carriageway, you should be able to manage 65mph in 4th and gently cruise up to 70-ish, before knocking it into 5th to just ease the engine. From there, decent throttle management will allow you to drift up to 74-ish from there.

Hello, I might get in trouble for insulting your intelligence here, but something that was panicking me on my Shadow 125 when it was doing something very similar to yours...

If yours is a 125, Might I suggest that the huge amounts of wind we've had recently have been affecting your ability to accelerate? Mine lost about 10mph on a bad day and I was getting really worried. It's a problem with little 125 engines that they don't have strength to fight the wind past a certain point.

If it still misbehaves when it's not windy then I apologise, but it's something worth considering before taking your bike apart :P

Good luck getting your "oomph" back!!

Thank you... I will check again - Start from scratch I think - I have a friend who knows these things and is willing to walk me through stripping it out.

As for the wind thing - Don't think it is that - even on 'lee' roads I can't even get past 50-54!

Heres to a week or so of tightening and checking!

I will update if I get my oomph back...

Thank you all!

Don't wanna sound sinister, but you probably made big mistake.

If you bought NEW XVS 125 then it's highly sugested to 'work out' or 'run in' your motorcycle engine in next 1000km.

This means you should not stress your engine and in next 1000 km and cruise no more than 40mph.

Give it time so that pistons and links so that proper pattern can be 'formed' inside cylinder.

Mabye you pushed your engine to hard to early ?

Thank God that this is not the case...

Not a NEW XVS... Just a new rider :D

Its a 2002.

Phew... You don't work for the Samaritans by any chance? :D

Glad to hear that.

In that case check the engine.Mabye you have filthy carb?

Lots of things happens when your carb gets dirty.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 02 dragstar and can only get 60mph out of mine i have a set off highway hawk drag pipes on it the carb has been re-jetted and cost me £80 to go on the dino at bikz shop and it still only does 60mph i would like to see one doing 70mph

Mine was an '02 German import - Unmodded, topped out at 76.

Mine was an '02 German import - Unmodded, topped out at 76.

mine is a 2001 it tops out about 74, if you refer back to ttaskmaster earlier post about changing gear.

On a motorway or NSL dual carriageway, you should be able to manage 65mph in 4th and gently cruise up to 70-ish, before knocking it into 5th to just ease the engine. From there, decent throttle management will allow you to drift up to 74-ish from there.

for a long while i would struggle to get 70 or over, the problem was me i was changing up to early and the bike would not seem to go over 60ish,after changing the way i ride and changing up through the gears later i have no problem with reaching 70.

i love the bike to bits even though i have bigger and faster bikes its the one i get most comments on

DSC00715.jpg

Hi, I have a 125 dragstar and was wondering if you know how to take the petrol tank off as I cant find a service manual?

Thank you... I will check again - Start from scratch I think - I have a friend who knows these things and is willing to walk me through stripping it out.

As for the wind thing - Don't think it is that - even on 'lee' roads I can't even get past 50-54!

Heres to a week or so of tightening and checking!

I will update if I get my oomph back...

Thank you all!

Hi, I have a 125 dragstar and was wondering if you know how to take the petrol tank off as I cant find a service manual?

I recall that there is a link to the service manual somwhere in previous topics. If you cant find it I can email pages with the tank removal instructions

I'd offer to remove it for you, but I don't know where in the UK you are...

Hint hint, people - Fill out your profiles!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online