Electric Ignition Kits

mdsims
This post is 5444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products

2nd one down, item #14-0901

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work on my 77 xs400?

I sent MikesXS a couple emails and they said they have no way of knowing if it'd work. The next step would be to contact the manufacturer and ask you guys here. If the advance assemblies are the same, I think this kit should work fine. This is something I'm looking to do eventually, not immediately.

matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products

2nd one down, item #14-0901

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work on my 77 xs400?

I sent MikesXS a couple emails and they said they have no way of knowing if it'd work. The next step would be to contact the manufacturer and ask you guys here. If the advance assemblies are the same, I think this kit should work fine. This is something I'm looking to do eventually, not immediately.

matt

Hi Matt,

I dont think this will fit for the following reasons

1) The back plate (the section the points are attached to) is very different between the 650 & 400 so you will have to modify it to fit an XS400

2) The ARU on the 650 engine is mounted on the right of the engine the 400 to the left, but tbh when you have a cdi fitted the mechanical ARU is not required but the cdi system may be designed to fit to the 650 set up

3) The inbuilt ignition curve in the CDI unit may not suit the XS400 as I guess the system in question was designed to work on the 650.

sorry to pee on your bonfire but I guess some more research is required

perhaps look at the HPI web site they have something there

Regards Jim

While I can't say whether it will or won't work (I've looked at the system myself, I can comment on some of Jim's points.

The PAMCO electronic ignition isn't a full and complete system like the factory installed systems they add later - it's a system that replaces the points. Just the points are replaced, so the bike's existing ARU unit stays put. In theory, the the advance unit in your bike, and it's mechanical effect on the ignition curve, stays the same. But with the switched side, you get position problems, as well as maybe having the shaft spinning the wrong way. So may or may not work.

The electronic unit replaces the plate that the points are mounted on - so Jim's comments about mounting positions is likely dead-on. If the slots and screws aren't in the right places, there's no way you can mount it right, especially since you'd need adjustment room it to get the timing right.

All that said, it seems like a useful mod to replace finicky old points systems - let us know what you work out!

For those unfamilair with this particular unit, here's a link - Pamco electronic ignition - to the maker's site.

While I can't say whether it will or won't work (I've looked at the system myself, I can comment on some of Jim's points.

The PAMCO electronic ignition isn't a full and complete system like the factory installed systems they add later - it's a system that replaces the points. Just the points are replaced, so the bike's existing ARU unit stays put. In theory, the the advance unit in your bike, and it's mechanical effect on the ignition curve, stays the same. But with the switched side, you get position problems, as well as maybe having the shaft spinning the wrong way. So may or may not work.

The electronic unit replaces the plate that the points are mounted on - so Jim's comments about mounting positions is likely dead-on. If the slots and screws aren't in the right places, there's no way you can mount it right, especially since you'd need adjustment room it to get the timing right.

All that said, it seems like a useful mod to replace finicky old points systems - let us know what you work out!

For those unfamilair with this particular unit, here's a link - Pamco electronic ignition - to the maker's site.

Hi,

just looked at the site, a fixed 90 degrees dwell, the XS400 is well away from there. From the pictures posted on the site there is no chance the back plate will fit and how do you expect the XS400 ARU to fit behind the new plate (after the shape has been changed to suit the XS400 setup) ? I guess you need to look else where !

Regards Jim

I still use contacts but use then to trigger an electronic box that was made for me by an enthusiast in germany.

here

or use this one

I still use contacts but use then to trigger an electronic box that was made for me by an enthusiast in germany.

here

or use this one

Hi Drewps,

how do you get off for the condensor ? or does the 'magic' box double as one ?

Regards Jim

Hi Drewps,

how do you get off for the condensor ? or does the 'magic' box double as one ?

Regards Jim

disconnect the condensor.

In fact, I used jap bullet connectors to install the box so if it did fail, I can reconnect the condensor and the coils to go back to points proper

disconnect the condensor.

In fact, I used jap bullet connectors to install the box so if it did fail, I can reconnect the condensor and the coils to go back to points proper

Hi Drewps

now I know which type of system you are using :blink: those systems used to cost poo loads in the '80s but did get around the known XS250/360/400 ignition proglems

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online