Banging head against brick wall

loopy_lot
This post is 5450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Maybe I am being a woman here but I have become stuck with the re-build of our 1981 SR250 SE. Hubby and I have got to the point of re-connecting the electrics and after purchasing a new ignition for it (the old one could be truned with any key and looked older than the bike) we connected the battery and turned the key. The green neutral light came on but nothing else works. We have tried charging the battery as it's been standing a while and also connecting the battery charger direct to the wires but still nothing but the green neural light. When the ignition is in Park the green light comes on both front parking light and rear light come on but very weak. :angry:

Have spent the past 2 days checking the wiring, taking it all apart and re-connecting it but still the same thing, nothing but the green light.

I thought green light meant go, but not on this machine at the moment.

Are we missing something so obvious or has something major gone wrong? Any help would be appreciated and save my poor brick wall from my head banging.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Maybe I am being a woman here but I have become stuck with the re-build of our 1981 SR250 SE. Hubby and I have got to the point of re-connecting the electrics and after purchasing a new ignition for it (the old one could be truned with any key and looked older than the bike) we connected the battery and turned the key. The green neutral light came on but nothing else works. We have tried charging the battery as it's been standing a while and also connecting the battery charger direct to the wires but still nothing but the green neural light. When the ignition is in Park the green light comes on both front parking light and rear light come on but very weak. :angry:

Have spent the past 2 days checking the wiring, taking it all apart and re-connecting it but still the same thing, nothing but the green light.

I thought green light meant go, but not on this machine at the moment.

Are we missing something so obvious or has something major gone wrong? Any help would be appreciated and save my poor brick wall from my head banging.

Hi,

I guess the wirring is well hacked about with if not check that the plug from your switch matches the wire colours on the loom. The green light indicates the bike is in neutral does it go out when you put the bike in gear ?

Has your SR250 got a side stand ? In 1982 the laws were changed and new bikes had to be fitted with a side stand saftey switch, Yamaha in certain cases just removed the side stand & in others supplied ignition cut out switches to retro fit to bikes with side stands fitted. if you have a sidw stand check for a switch mounted by the side stand or on the handlebar clutch lever housing. If nothing is there check the KILL switch as if this is in the off position non of the ignition circut will work. Looking at the nuetral light comming on in the park postion I would guess you have something bodged or wired up incorrectly.

Regards Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Forgot to say everythign was working fine before we took it all apart. Yes it has a side stand but the bike is a 1981 so doesn't have the kill switch for the side stand but does have a cut out circuit on the clutch which overides the safety rely so you can start the bike in gear by pulling inthe clutch lever.

The wiring on the ignition is the same colours as the old one and match the loom. We even tried the old ignition switch and the result was still the same, nothing but the neutral light.

The kill switch is in the run posotion so we know it's not that. Looks like it's gonna be a disassemble then. Guess what we'll be doing tomorrow :(

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Forgot to say everythign was working fine before we took it all apart. Yes it has a side stand but the bike is a 1981 so doesn't have the kill switch for the side stand but does have a cut out circuit on the clutch which overides the safety rely so you can start the bike in gear by pulling inthe clutch lever.

The wiring on the ignition is the same colours as the old one and match the loom. We even tried the old ignition switch and the result was still the same, nothing but the neutral light.

The kill switch is in the run posotion so we know it's not that. Looks like it's gonna be a disassemble then. Guess what we'll be doing tomorrow :(

Oh Ok

how much of the bike did you take apart ? Now you have added that there is a chance your problem is down to a 'bad earth'

Regards Jim

Thank you Jim and Yoda. We will be checking all earths to make sure there is no problem with them before resuming wall banging. The earth for the battery was never removed from the engine and the only other earth is where the coil sits on the frame so we'll check both of them and see what happens.

Thank you Jim and Yoda. We will be checking all earths to make sure there is no problem with them before resuming wall banging. The earth for the battery was never removed from the engine and the only other earth is where the coil sits on the frame so we'll check both of them and see what happens.

Hi

there are others in fact any black wire within the loom is an earth so for example the problem may lie in the tail light wiring or that the h/l lamp shell bolts & earth wires have not been connected correctly .. the tag should go against the correct washer and not just down to the platic bits & a wrong size nut & bolt. These were just examples you will need to ensure every black wire does run to earth.

Regards Jim

Thanks for all your help. We have solved the problem. It was a poor negative earth to the battery. We replaced this with a spare one and all the electrics are now working as they should WOOHOO :D

Would have been lost with out this place and all the helpful members, in fact my brick wall is now giving a great sigh of relief (as is my head)

I'm sure I'll be back on with more problems when I come across them.

Again, many thanks Jim and Yoda, you are my saviours. Lynn

Thanks for all your help. We have solved the problem. It was a poor negative earth to the battery. We replaced this with a spare one and all the electrics are now working as they should WOOHOO :D

Would have been lost with out this place and all the helpful members, in fact my brick wall is now giving a great sigh of relief (as is my head)

I'm sure I'll be back on with more problems when I come across them.

Again, many thanks Jim and Yoda, you are my saviours. Lynn

Hi Lynn,

not a problem just fire away to the forum and you will get the answer ... btw do you need a builder to fix the wall :D:D ?

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online