Turning circle ( oiltankeresque)

kevin10529
This post is 5457 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Why did i have to do a U-turn in my test.....?

My Tcat could not do one on the freeways of LA. I know this is the same for most sporty bikes but would them riser/straight bars they have on streetfighters give me a smaller circle?

I was thinking about getting them for comfort anyway.

Can you fit em? Easy job?

I welcome the knowledge.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bet you it will!

My IAM Instructor can turn his Busa in a gap of about 16 feet. I can now do a full circle in the same. It's all about practice, balance, controll and a bit of helpfull instruction. Instead of applying constant pressure on the rear brake (like they teach you) feather it, the bike kinda 'jurks' and feels unstable at first but it allowes the bike to use a bit of power to pull round. Probably haven't explained that very well......

The bars won't make any difference to the abilty of the bike, full lock is full lock! But they will alter your riding possition so that you have a little more confidence.

If you try it on an open carpark, you'll probably find you can turn the bike in a tiny space, try to do the same turn with some lines on the road and it's almost impossible! It is all in the mind, I tell you.....

Why do you need to do it? well it depends on you I guess, it looks much better when you ride into a place, do a really tight turn and ride out, while the other guys are busy doing the back and forth shuffle. If you need to do a U-turn on the road it's much quicker and safer to do it in one smooth action rather than pushing the bike backwards.

BikeSafe in Cumbria (Carlisle) have some spaces, and it's free - worth the investment of a couple of nights and the ride out. You'll get some instruction from the IAM on the rideout day too, they're great guys. Get youself signed up for it here: http://www.cumbria.police.uk/makingcumbriasafer_10153.htm

Sorry must have not explained properly, my u-turns are ok its just seems the tanks is stopping the bars in full lock hence straight bars might able me to turn the wheel further round if you ken what i mean.

Please tell me more about this back break bumpy judder technique?

I need a better turn, as you know lots of country roads around here and when am dropping my mates off home in the massive country homes we all live in up here i need to turn the bike on the lane outside the house and i look like a tit doing the 3 point turn thing on a bike!!

There's lugs on the forks that stop the bars from going past a certain point to prevent the bars hitting the tank. If your hitting these then you aren't going to get a tighter turn, but I doubt you're getting to the stops to be honest.

However having dropped bars means your hands are in an awkward position to be at full lock and in control of the bike fully, byusing raised bars your hands will be in a different position that might allow you to turn the bars further and still have your hands in poition where you can control the bike in a tighter turn.

There are various adjustable bars on the market that will raise the poition and fore/aft position, that you might want to try looking into. but bear in mind that it#'s possible that you may need slightly longer cables depending how much higher you go.

I know what you mean mate. Yours hands ram into the tank well before the lock stops are touching. I have to do a tight turn on a gravel drive to get mine in garage. Utter nightmare, still not used to it, after four months!

hmm bit off topick but have been riding my bike a wheek and can already do a circle on a normal spaced road and i find the MT to have a crap full lock specialy compaird to my dads XT he can nearly do a U turn on a single lane

and also wouldent you need risor bars so that ure hands clear the tank on the thunder cat and not straight ones

Looking at mine I'd say lifting bars would make em hit fairing. They'd have to come way back and up. Best thing is get the back wheel spinning and lean it over a bit, soon swings round.

Looking at mine I'd say lifting bars would make em hit fairing. They'd have to come way back and up. Best thing is get the back wheel spinning and lean it over a bit, soon swings round.

lol im sure i would end up some where down the road if i tried that :P

I know what you mean mate. Yours hands ram into the tank well before the lock stops are touching. I have to do a tight turn on a gravel drive to get mine in garage. Utter nightmare, still not used to it, after four months!

Yeah that's ^^^^ what av been trying to explain.

Just gonna get some straight bars for comfort and if it makes a difference to the turning circle its a bonus.

Please tell me more about this back break bumpy judder technique?

It's a bizzare feeling, but as you turn, rather than keeping a contstant pressure on the rear brake, sort of 'tap' it or dab it - the bike will lurch a bit (do it on a nice open space first till you get your head around the strange feeling) and feel unstable. in your DAS you were probably told to look at a fixed point somewhere over your shoulder? try looking mor in the 2-3 O'Clock area and moving you focus around every time you dab the breaks. How are you left U-turns ?? some people find them much easier. Take the bike to a carpark on a quite Sunday morning and just keep going round in circles for an hour or so, or figure of 8 as this works on both sides.

When you think about it, as you turn left, you do it nice and tight don't you? right turns are normally a wider turn - it's all in the mind....

Best thing is get the back wheel spinning and lean it over a bit, soon swings round.

It's called a Pivot Turn, we use it off-road at time when there just isn't room to turn, you can either spin the rear and point the front in the direction of the turn, or (if you have rear end grip) lift the front and let the bike fall down in the direction you want to go. Either way these are very fast turns !!! Wouldn't advise it on the Queens highway though, depending on which version of Mr Plod you get you'll get some unwanted attention..

Best thing is get the back wheel spinning and lean it over a bit, soon swings round.

Not to be confused with a serious answer!

Have you seen a kit to raise the bars then?

Not had a chance to look.

:offtopic:

Got a big service the day. They recon my shock is finished and i need new chain and sprocks. Shock seems fine to me but they thinks its total done, chain and sproks is on the last nitch so that's fair play in 1000 miles or so i recon.

Shocks seem awful expensive. If mine is shagged then whats the best replacement? Dont seem to be that much choice on ebay and some are a total ripoff.

One company refurbishes them think its worth a try?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-YZF-R6-YZFR6-...93%3A1|294%3A50

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online