DT175 - Got it started

DirtyDT
This post is 5456 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After picking my project bike on Saturday, 2 trips to Halfords and with a lot of help form some of you forum guys I was ready to kick the bike over.

I bled the oil pump as suggested. At this time I noticed that the pipe from the pump to the carb was split so I cut the end off and refitted this. There still seems to be a pin hole in this so added to my very long list of things to do. I am not sure if I need to take the crankcase off or if the metal junction attached to the crankcase is just a pull off and I can refeed a new pipe from the top. Anyone know please?

I fitted the fuel cable and was ready for liftoff. A splash of fuel in the tank and as I was putting some tools to one side I noticed that there was petrol dripping from the fuel tap side of the tank. Ah me thinks, the fuel tap is loose. Nope there is a slight leak in the seam somewhere. Another thing to add to my list. I will clean the tank and see if it can be repaired but there was a cheap one on e-hay the other day.

I don't know how long the bike had not been running as the previous owner brought it and did nothing with it. I brought it as a non runner. I kicked it over a few times with no result so a drop of fuel in the back of the carb. A few more kicks and brooooom of she went. The choke was out and there is no exhaust or air filter on it but she was racing like on a very fast tickover.

So happy as can be with a growing list of things to do. All costing money :blink:

Once again thank you to all who have given me advice so far on the forum on different threads. I will recipricate if I can.

My next job is to find out exactly what the bike is. This may help me buying the right bits for it. (Don't you just hate ordering a bit. It turns up and you get excited, then it doesn't fit the bike?) This has confused me a lot as I brought it as a DT175MX. The logbook doesn't say much. registered March 1981 and is on a W plate, 171cc, engine and frame start 2K4. It has the tubular swing arm, 5 wire coil and 6 wire CDI. The oil tank is on the kick start side and it has the side panels that have 3 push in rubber mounts. I have put two pics below. Thanks guys!!

stripped.jpg

tankandpanels.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As far as the oil pipes go you will need to take the clutch cover off to change them.

And identifying the bike,

Frame ID 2K4 covers everything 175 from 78 to 85. But this may help.

Fr no 000101 on DT175MX 2K4 (78-79)

Fr no 010101 on DT175MX 2X2 (79 only) hardly different at all from the 2K4

Fr no 020101 on DT175MX 4J4 (80-85) this is typically identified by a square section sw arm. But is also when the oil tank swapped sides as far as i'm aware, from the left to the right to improve access to fill the oil tank and the airfilter design.

So yours could be an early 4J4 or late 2x2 as you have the round section arm but the oil tank on the right.

Cheers Cynic.

I am presuming it is a dry clutch? ****ignore this....doh, the oil filler is in the clutch cover *****

My frame comes into the "Fr no 020101 on DT175MX 4J4 (80-85)" bracket. It is possible that the swing arm was changed at sometime from square to round, assuming that these are swappable.

Cheers Cynic.

I am presuming it is a dry clutch? ****ignore this....doh, the oil filler is in the clutch cover *****

My frame comes into the "Fr no 020101 on DT175MX 4J4 (80-85)" bracket. It is possible that the swing arm was changed at sometime from square to round, assuming that these are swappable.

Possible, generally the square section arm goes into them as a mod. The round section sw arm can break/crack if you start giving the bike a really hard time off road. Mine is a W plate and that has the square arm. And yes they are pretty much a straight swap.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online