Am I going to lose my license?

awh18awh
This post is 5422 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

The other day I got caught on my R6 doing 93mph in a 60, had the letter through that said it cannot be resolved with a fixed penalty ie. A court summons, anybody any idea what I'll get? Also only had my license about a year but a car license for about 6 years, does the 6 points in 2 years thing count. Any help would be great

Also for the people that say I deserve what I get, I know I do!!

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Worse case scenario is you will get a ban and have to retake your test - usually they only ban you for over 100mph though but 90 in a 60 is a bit much - so i think you may be facing a minimum 6 month ban honey. Tallk to a solicitor now though.

Worse case scenario is you will get a ban and have to retake your test - usually they only ban you for over 100mph though but 90 in a 60 is a bit much - so i think you may be facing a minimum 6 month ban honey. Tallk to a solicitor now though.

Really? Would that be a 6 month ban for my car and bike? Damn I'm such an idiot!!

this is a copy of the new laws concerning penalty points and riders who have had there licence less than two years.

the drivers act.

Under the New Drivers Act your driving licence will be revoked if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test. You’ll need to reapply for your driving licence as a learner driver and resit your driving test.

Penalty points gained before passing your driving test

Any penalty points you gain before passing your first driving test are taken into account. However, having six or more doesn’t mean your licence will be revoked straight after you pass your test.

Gaining further points after passing your test, taking your total to six or more, will mean your licence will be revoked.

Who’s affected by the New Drivers Act

The act applies to all drivers from, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the European Community and European Economic Area, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Gibraltar.

Drivers from designated countries

The act applies to you if you have exchanged a driving licence from a designated country for a British licence and pass a further driving test in this country.

The designated countries are: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Getting your full driving licence back

To get your full driving licence back you must first reapply for a provisional driving licence.

You’ll also need to pass the theory and practical driving tests again and claim your test pass.

Pass the theory and practical driving tests

You’ll need to pay for and resit the theory and practical driving tests.

* The theory test explained

* Practical test for cars and motorcycles

Claim your test pass

After passing your driving test, you’ll need to exchange your provisional driving licence for a full one.

* Claiming a driving test pass

Your driving entitlement for other vehicles

Any other entitlements you had on you driving licence, such as lorry or bus, will only be restored after the approval of a traffic commissioner in the area you live.

The traffic commissioner may request you retake a driving test for those vehicles.

* Driving conduct for larger vehicles, minibuses or buses

After passing your retest

It’s important to remember that passing a retest doesn’t remove the penalty points from your driving licence. The penalty points remain valid.

does not look good.

Hi all

The other day I got caught on my R6 doing 93mph in a 60, had the letter through that said it cannot be resolved with a fixed penalty ie. A court summons, anybody any idea what I'll get? Also only had my license about a year but a car license for about 6 years, does the 6 points in 2 years thing count. Any help would be great

Thanks

sorry to hear that, there is unfortunately no way for me to offer any advice as i live far far away. and do not know your laws. I am, however, taken with a giggle by your signature. (as it relates to your current predicament)

"faster, faster, faster.

until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

perhaps you should change your sig to read:

"slower, slower, slower,

until the dullness of the speed limit overcomes

the hatred of walking everywhere."

not trying to be an ass.... just making an observation. ;)

Good luck with it though, and I hope you stay on the road!!!

sorry to hear that, there is unfortunately no way for me to offer any advice as i live far far away. and do not know your laws. I am, however, taken with a giggle by your signature. (as it relates to your current predicament)

"faster, faster, faster.

until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

perhaps you should change your sig to read:

"slower, slower, slower,

until the dullness of the speed limit overcomes

the hatred of walking everywhere."

not trying to be an ass.... just making an observation. ;)

Good luck with it though, and I hope you stay on the road!!!

Ha ha yeah I should change it.

Maybe it should read "Faster, faster, faster until the stupidity of getting caught overcomes actual death"

I think it will hang on WHERE the 60 limit was, miles from anywhere or the middle of a town and any respective dangers. As to if you get banned.

My thoughts

the drivers act.

Under the New Drivers Act your driving licence will be revoked if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test. You’ll need to reapply for your driving licence as a learner driver and resit your driving test.

Penalty points gained before passing your driving test

If this is correct then any re-sit should not apply as you have a car licence for more than 2 years.

I got stopped a few years ago for 81 in a 50. I tried to negotiate the 81 to 79 but they were not having it. At court I got 3 points and £40. I said "Thanks very much".

What you get depends on the mood of the judge, they get the minimum and maximum for each offence. Some people say that what you actually get depends on if they had burnt toast for breakfast or they had been recently caught buggering young boys, again - Allegedly.

Good luck anyway.

Hi all

Thanks

Hi

'if' you loose your license you will loose all categories A & B plus whatever other categories you have. I would guess that the cat A/bike license (in that scenario) would need a re test but the cat B/car and any other cat's passed over 2 years ago would be returned to you after the ban. The ban would apply to all cats so there would be a period of not being able to ride/drive anything (bar a push bike or electrically propelled machine capable of no more than 12mph). So I guess you'll be on taxi's .... I had to go & see the traffic commissioner regarding a revoke on my cat C ... it was not nice but he did allow me to retest the cat C as the offence was on a cat A vehicle, if it had had been within his power he would have revoked the cat A !

Regards Jim

My thoughts

If this is correct then any re-sit should not apply as you have a car licence for more than 2 years.

that information was copied from the dvla site it is correct and applies to any new driver witin there first two years if you reach 6 points you will have to sit a re test theory test and all the other bits that go with it,if the offence is commited on a bike then the re test will be on a bike, but if both your car and bike test are less than two yearsold then it is up to the local traffic commisioner to decide if you have to take both,reaching six points in your first two years doesnt mean you will also get a ban but a re test is mandotory.

a lot of people think if they get a ban on there bike licence ah well ! i will just have to use the car ,think again the ban is on your driving licence not the entitlement, so if you get banned from driving for six months thats it

Sorry to hear you got caught mate, quick question though, were you caught by a camera or a cop? because if it wasonly by a camera then don't confess to anything! you wern't there. It wasn't you and it wasn't your bike. I seem to remember something about you have to be cautioned on the day by the plod for it to stand up in court. Check it out with your brief first. Best of luck. OGRi

that information was copied from the dvla site it is correct and applies to any new driver within there first two years if you reach 6 points you will have to sit a re test theory test and all the other bits that go with it,if the offence is commited on a bike then the re test will be on a bike, but if both your car and bike test are less than two yearsold then it is up to the local traffic commisioner to decide if you have to take both,reaching six points in your first two years doesnt mean you will also get a ban but a re test is mandotory.

a lot of people think if they get a ban on there bike licence ah well ! i will just have to use the car ,think again the ban is on your driving licence not the entitlement, so if you get banned from driving for six months thats it

I agree that if a ban comes it covers all categories of vehicle but what I find confusing is that it says

"if you build up six or more penalty points within two years of passing your first driving test"

What does that mean? A first driving test of each category? Your first full licence for any catagory of vehicle?

You've had your licence for over 6 years so the fact you've passed a bike test and had another category added to it is irrelevant, so you don't need to be concerned with losing your licence and resetting your test because of reaching 6 points.

in court for 93 in a 60 (assuming non motorway) you can expect:

Magistrates' Court Penalty Guidelines

Eligible for COFP instead? No: Magistrates' court only

Normal fine range: £225 - £375 (based on a £300 a week take home pay)

Disqualification possible? Consider 7-56 days

Maximum fine: £1000

Do you think you really was doing that speed ? Was the NIP delivered within 14 days ?

www.pepipoo.com for advice

that information was copied from the dvla site it is correct and applies to any new driver witin there first two years if you reach 6 points you will have to sit a re test theory test and all the other bits that go with it,if the offence is commited on a bike then the re test will be on a bike, but if both your car and bike test are less than two yearsold then it is up to the local traffic commisioner to decide if you have to take both,reaching six points in your first two years doesnt mean you will also get a ban but a re test is mandotory.

from the DVLA site it suggests 2 years from passing your first test..

i.e. if you passed yuor car test 3 years ago but your bike one it goes by how long yuo've had your car license and you would get a ban but no re-sit

from the DVLA site it suggests 2 years from passing your first test..

i.e. if you passed yuor car test 3 years ago but your bike one it goes by how long yuo've had your car license and you would get a ban but no re-sit

I was caught by a police revenue raiser speed camera van last year on the a sunny dry semi deserted M74 in Scotland doing 96 in a 70. for some reason instead of a £60 fine and 3 points it went to court in Dumfries where they gave me 4 points and a £200 fine !! :angry:

I was in the works car at the time by the way not on a bike.

I'd probably get less if a mugged someone !!

I was caught by a police revenue raiser speed camera van last year on the a sunny dry semi deserted M74 in Scotland doing 96 in a 70. for some reason instead of a £60 fine and 3 points it went to court in Dumfries where they gave me 4 points and a £200 fine !! :angry:

I was in the works car at the time by the way not on a bike.

I'd probably get less if a mugged someone !!

De that kin o hing in the 'Fries and we'll set aboot ye.

De that kin o hing in the 'Fries and we'll set aboot ye.

Was hoping to do a bit of touring up there this year on the busa biut its kinda put me off a little now. :mellow:

Was hoping to do a bit of touring up there this year on the busa biut its kinda put me off a little now. :mellow:

Hi

if you wish to tour use the YZF rather than that odd peice of Suzi stuff or in fact buy a bike that was designed to tour.

Regards Jim