help bike runs, then dies, then wont start

This post is 5419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have a 86 yamaha tt600 that runs like a bat out of h*** but if you let it idle or come down to an idle it usual stalls after you have been riding about 10-15 minits weather you ride it hard or just let it idle.the main problem is when it does stall you have to wait about 15 minits before you can start it and it starts in 1 or 2 kicks. when i pull the spark plug it is sooty,carburetor is still cold,still has very good compression,and piston is not stuck in the bore.

i have been working on this for a couple weeks and every thing that i see is saying it is too rich like sooty plug after stall and black smoke at and just off idle. but every thing i read about jetting a bike carb says the piolet jet is too lean.

i will try almost anything except buy new carbs

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi i have a 86 yamaha tt600 that runs like a bat out of h*** but if you let it idle or come down to an idle it usual stalls after you have been riding about 10-15 minits weather you ride it hard or just let it idle.the main problem is when it does stall you have to wait about 15 minits before you can start it and it starts in 1 or 2 kicks. when i pull the spark plug it is sooty,carburetor is still cold,still has very good compression,and piston is not stuck in the bore.

i have been working on this for a couple weeks and every thing that i see is saying it is too rich like sooty plug after stall and black smoke at and just off idle. but every thing i read about jetting a bike carb says the piolet jet is too lean.

i will try almost anything except buy new carbs

sounds rich to me,try to get choke out and make sure its not sticking on,all symptons seem to point that way.

cheers

It sounds rich yes, but I wouldnt expect this to cause a cut out and an extended period before it re-starts, is the fuel tank vent blocked or trapped so causing a vacuum, the symptom you are experiencing can be caused by this.

Witha sooty plug. I would say rich.

Is the carb sucking in too much fuel at idle which is killing the engine.

I also agree that it could be a vacumm. The compression sucks hard enough at revs but at idle it starves itself. Will it tick over without a fuel cap on it?

I had an XT wich had the opposite. ran fine and started from hot but if you left the fuel tap on when cold it would not start.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the intake valve clearance. Other stuff to look at...gas cap venting.....worn float needle/seat......worn needle and/or nozzle......gas in the oil.....air box obstruction.......exhaust obstruction.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online