Old gits first bike unearthed

blackhat250
This post is 5425 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Archaeoligists have dug up Old git s first bike . rumour has it ,its under resto :lol:6cdc_121.jpg and check the tax disc , 1920 . old git was 15 then.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well done OG, you ultraprawnoor, that'll be worth a mint now ! :rolleyes:

Aahh!! brought a lump to me throat and a tear to me eye that post...my first love at fourteen years old :wub: and a lifelong love of motorcycles was spawned from owning that little beauty, cost me 50p and robbed a carb from a mate to get it going, had loads and loads of laughs on it too, as well as the missing carb it also had no exhaust so I pressed my engineering skills into action and sawed some bicycle dropped handlebars up and made my own, there was no peace to be had in the sleepy villege of Hadfield anymore :lol: The trick to start it was supposed to be pull in the handlebar mounted de-compressor and with the bike on the centre stand pedal and the let the de-compressor out...All well and good but I didnt have a decompressor cable and handlebar lever...nor a centre stand so it was push in the decompressor valve on the cylinder head...just pretend it isnt hot, no its not burming me really ...FFS start, start I say effing start Aaaaghhh!!! all this while paddling the bike forwards in a penguin like waddle, then as the de compressor valve was let go...a frantic grab for the handlebar as the beast roared into life and shot forwards with a crackle and the odd flame spitting from the home made zorst....Happy days indeed!!!

Actually mine mas a much more modern one as i first got it, what...with its tele front fork and everything, as i remember it was more like this

Mobylette20AV-4420-62.jpg

but then when travelling home on the train from Glossop to Hadfield one day I saw an old bike frame dumped in a field so being into all thing motorcycle I went to investigate...couldnt believe my luck when it turned out to be a mobylette frame with a swing arm instead of the rigid arse end that mine had...much more street cred, no youre right 'cred' hadnt been invented then, I mean 'Kudos' ... so i lugged it home, gave it a lick of the finest dulux and made me a proper bike...complete with a handlebar mounted de-compressor. looked more like this one then...like I say . A proper bike.

mobylette2au.jpg

If youre wondering what that is behind the bike....Thats the wifes transport

Still got a soft spot for these old peds now...Havent I drewpy??... :lol::lol:

Haaa :lol: OLD GIT . YER A CLASSIC GEEZER [ Is that same as a Diamond Geezer] :unsure:

haha you lot make me laff :)

ure banter seems to lighten up the mood on the site quite a bit

i dont think i have ever seen one of those befor apart from the one on "night rider" when he goes out the back of the lorrie then has to pedel like mad to start it :) (at least i think it was night rider)

The technology hasn't changed much :rolleyes:

IMG_5584.jpg

1925 CW Douglas that a friend rode to Brighton this year - put it on the stand, pedal like H*** and let go the decompressor

You had to pump the oil yourself on those, didn't ya? :blink:

Yes you do - it's a total loss oil system. It's everywhere after a ride, and dripped all over the van floor on the way back from Brighton.

i reckons i should get me a little mobylette...

... just so i can write it off into the side of a landrover and send an album full of post-writeoff pictures to OG :lol:

Aahh!! brought a lump to me throat and a tear to me eye that post...my first love at fourteen years old :wub: and a lifelong love of motorcycles was spawned from owning that little beauty, cost me 50p and robbed a carb from a mate to get it going, had loads and loads of laughs on it too, as well as the missing carb it also had no exhaust so I pressed my engineering skills into action and sawed some bicycle dropped handlebars up and made my own, there was no peace to be had in the sleepy villege of Hadfield anymore :lol: The trick to start it was supposed to be pull in the handlebar mounted de-compressor and with the bike on the centre stand pedal and the let the de-compressor out...All well and good but I didnt have a decompressor cable and handlebar lever...nor a centre stand so it was push in the decompressor valve on the cylinder head...just pretend it isnt hot, no its not burming me really ...FFS start, start I say effing start Aaaaghhh!!! all this while paddling the bike forwards in a penguin like waddle, then as the de compressor valve was let go...a frantic grab for the handlebar as the beast roared into life and shot forwards with a crackle and the odd flame spitting from the home made zorst....Happy days indeed!!!

Actually mine mas a much more modern one as i first got it, what...with its tele front fork and everything, as i remember it was more like this

Mobylette20AV-4420-62.jpg

but then when travelling home on the train from Glossop to Hadfield one day I saw an old bike frame dumped in a field so being into all thing motorcycle I went to investigate...couldnt believe my luck when it turned out to be a mobylette frame with a swing arm instead of the rigid arse end that mine had...much more street cred, no youre right 'cred' hadnt been invented then, I mean 'Kudos' ... so i lugged it home, gave it a lick of the finest dulux and made me a proper bike...complete with a handlebar mounted de-compressor. looked more like this one then...like I say . A proper bike.

mobylette2au.jpg

If youre wondering what that is behind the bike....Thats the wifes transport

Still got a soft spot for these old peds now...Havent I drewpy??... :lol::lol:

Hi Paul,

what you need is a Mobylette Luxamatic (normally bronze in colour) it had the vario belt drive & a 2 speed gearbox or variator as Moby called it .... My shop was about the last part distributor in the world for Motobecane/Mobylette and we sent NOS all over the world .. In some respects it was bad when Yamaha bought the factory & re branded it MBK as the original French designs were ditched in favour of Jap style production & bicycles ! Dead shame I used to love full borring a moby major/minor and decompressing it when comming up to zebra crossings just to make the old girls jump !

Regards Jim

In some respects it was bad when Yamaha bought the factory & re branded it MBK as the original French designs were ditched in favour of Jap style production & bicycles !

I agree, miss seeing the old European peds around, they were simple yet functional and not all about the look or the speed. And as it happens, no i havent seen any MBK's with kids having a great time on them!!!

fact of te matter is, u still see lots of yamahs with kids havin a gr8 time on them :)

u cna kepe your mobylites and mbks, DTs are old skool XD

fact of te matter is, u still see lots of yamahs with kids havin a gr8 time on them :)

u cna kepe your mobylites and mbks, DTs are old skool XD

That just so misses the point! When Mobys, Batavus, Puch and co were turning out peds, Yamaha, suzuki, Honda and co were also turing out peds. Of course you see kids having fun on yamahas its because the others have fkcn gone, (with certain exeptions)

When Mobys, Batavus, Puch and co were turning out peds, Yamaha, suzuki, Honda and co were also turing out peds. (with certain exeptions)

Enter the" GARELLI TIGER CROSS" [the super-bike of peds] B)

Enter the" GARELLI TIGER CROSS" [the super-bike of peds] B)

Great ped that was, along with its stablemate Rekord, Also Gilera one was very smart and Fantic's too, in fact some of them would be still top notch today...but these were the true competition to the japs in the sports moped bracket. I never had a ped on the road, waited a year longer and got a Honda SS125, happy to play off the road at 16, probably due to no parental encouragement (money),