FZ and XJ Parts interchange and Compatibility?

This post is 2216 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First off, I am no mechanic, so I really want some advice from you guys so I can learn what I need to....

So I am going to be picking up a 1993 XJ600 on Friday, and all it needs, according to the owner, is new carbs and a battery to run. All it is missing currently is a seat, fairings, and the aforementioned carbs and battery... again according to the owner and what I can see. I am going to ask if it's been laid down or any other important questions.

My question is... what is compatible between my 1986 FZ600 and the 1993 XJ600 i am picking up? I am considering sacrificing parts from my FZ to get the XJ running again... or vice versa... but I have no clue as to the extent of the differences between the two. Can anybody tell me the differences between the two bikes (other than what specs i found on the web), and what is and isn't possible regarding parts compatibility between the two? Even better, can I get some guidance as to finishing either bike? I have been lurking the internet, but i can't seem to find any solid answers.

And, what exactly is the difference regarding the engines (aircooled, oil-cooled, water-cooled, i am lost...)? I heard the XJ engine was a higher compression than the FZ and FZR engines. Also, what is the difference between FZ600 and Radian 600 engines of the same period between 85-88? Another thing... how do i know whether i have conventional or synthetic oil, and if i should use either for certain reasons? And would i need to do anything special to convert from using conventional to synthetic?

Basically, what can I and what can't I stuff into my FZ, and what can I take from my FZ and place onto my going-to-be XJ? For instance, I am thinking of replacing the stock XJ handlebars with the clip-ons my FZ has equipped, but i am not sure if i can because it looks like it might not allow for the stock XJ headlight cowling to be put back on.

Also, because i have no riding experience at all, are there any mechanical assists i should put onto either bike (like steering dampers, etc.), if at all?

I am going to post the picture of the XJ600 and a picture of my FZ... and let's just say my FZ is a LONG way from done.... Can anybody also let me know if there's anything else I may need for the XJ?

1993 XJ600 (Diversion or SECA, I have no clue)

3n63o93l8ZZZZZZZZZ94u05d70a50bf611be4.jpg

My 1986 FZ600 (S or SC, I don't know)

n675922574_1719144_2857.jpg

...with the seat off...

n675922574_1901393_790.jpg

By the way... my FZ was an ex-race bike... so there are a few things obviously different... and wrong with it... like a retrofitted nitrogen shock reservoir...

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First off, I am no mechanic, so I really want some advice from you guys so I can learn what I need to....

So I am going to be picking up a 1993 XJ600 on Friday, and all it needs, according to the owner, is new carbs and a battery to run. All it is missing currently is a seat, fairings, and the aforementioned carbs and battery... again according to the owner and what I can see. I am going to ask if it's been laid down or any other important questions.

My question is... what is compatible between my 1986 FZ600 and the 1993 XJ600 i am picking up? I am considering sacrificing parts from my FZ to get the XJ running again... or vice versa... but I have no clue as to the extent of the differences between the two. Can anybody tell me the differences between the two bikes (other than what specs i found on the web), and what is and isn't possible regarding parts compatibility between the two? Even better, can I get some guidance as to finishing either bike? I have been lurking the internet, but i can't seem to find any solid answers.

And, what exactly is the difference regarding the engines (aircooled, oil-cooled, water-cooled, i am lost...)? I heard the XJ engine was a higher compression than the FZ and FZR engines. Also, what is the difference between FZ600 and Radian 600 engines of the same period between 85-88? Another thing... how do i know whether i have conventional or synthetic oil, and if i should use either for certain reasons? And would i need to do anything special to convert from using conventional to synthetic?

Basically, what can I and what can't I stuff into my FZ, and what can I take from my FZ and place onto my going-to-be XJ? For instance, I am thinking of replacing the stock XJ handlebars with the clip-ons my FZ has equipped, but i am not sure if i can because it looks like it might not allow for the stock XJ headlight cowling to be put back on.

Also, because i have no riding experience at all, are there any mechanical assists i should put onto either bike (like steering dampers, etc.), if at all?

I am going to post the picture of the XJ600 and a picture of my FZ... and let's just say my FZ is a LONG way from done.... Can anybody also let me know if there's anything else I may need for the XJ?

1993 XJ600 (Diversion or SECA, I have no clue)

3n63o93l8ZZZZZZZZZ94u05d70a50bf611be4.jpg

My 1986 FZ600 (S or SC, I don't know)

n675922574_1719144_2857.jpg

...with the seat off...

n675922574_1901393_790.jpg

By the way... my FZ was an ex-race bike... so there are a few things obviously different... and wrong with it... like a retrofitted nitrogen shock reservoir...

first off, your FZ makes my mouth water.... If you are going to rip it apart, maybe you might want to sell its remains??

anyway, from what i have gathered, the xj, fj, yx, and FZ all share the same time period and also the SAME ENGINE. There is a debate on another thread regarding the differences within each model number of the engine but i am going to tell you:

"IT IS THE SAME ENGINE!"

The FZ used Mikuni BS-30 Round-slide (30mm) carburetors (took me a long time to find that out.... :blink: ) that are now very hard to find, and no longer made by yamaha or mikuni. I believe the YX Radian used slightly different carburetion as to balance the difference in exhaust between the two bikes, but in reality, i truly doubt that this small difference would halt the radian's engine from running. Now, if you have the old carbs for the Radian, they may just need a good cleaning, this is not a very hard task, and that way, you would retain the radian's factory carburetion with no potential problems.

The battery is a battery, go to bikebandit.com and get a 12V12A battery or go to Wal-MArt and get a motorcycle battery. All the battery does is quickly rotate your starter which gives your engine a running start, any 12v motorcycle battery should do fine.

The FZ, Radian, FJ, Xj and even the FZR's all the way up till 1999, and FZR-400's all used the same brake master cylinders, front and back, so if you want to swap handlebars, there should be no problem getting them to fit- except now looking at your photo it seems that your race-modified FZ had a brake swap, probably a YZF reservoir. USE this! it will give you better braking and it obviously fits! if you dont want it, name a price and i will take it off your hands! Also, if you want to do a mod like putting clip-on handlebars on the radian, be prepared for some modifications that may be necessary, like finding an aftermarket headlight bucket and/or fairing. Be creative, who says you have to keep all the old stuff?

The entire ignition between the two bikes are the same, except the CDI box, which you can just use from the bike you want. the major differences between the bikes is the frame, the suspension and the gas tank/body work, not much else. Now apparently there are some differences between the specific intricacies of the YX-600 Radian, and The FZ-600 motors regarding the generator and a wire connection, but buddy, if your generator on either motor is ok, don't go ripping the engine apart, it is a big headache. you can just leave one connector un-connected and it runs fine.

The wiring harness may be a bit different in certain places but nothing that may halt the project, so no worries. They are basically the same machine!

if you find parts for the FZ, it should fit the YX, and FJ parts will fit into a XJ, and all possible combination in between. What they bicker about in other threads is whether the 2HW motor is water-cooled or not. The FZ-600 Is AIR COOLED however, there is a radiator looking OIL COOLER mounted in the front, you can trace the oil lined coming from it all the way down to the place where you put your oil filter cover.... i guess you might say the FZ and it's common motor is "Oil-Cooled", lol.

P.S., don't get a steering damper, if you learn to ride with it and then go to a bike without one (99.9% of all bikes) you will be really uncomfortable, something you don't want to be at 70MPH. They are meant for track bikes to dampen the cause of the speed man's wobble at 200MPH! what you shoul look into is frame-sliders and or bar-end-sliders that will keep your bike pristine if and when you drop it.

Go to a microfiche website like bikebandit.com or ronayers.com and look at the schematics for both bikes and see for yourself, part numbers give a lot of info

• 8 years later...

I have an 86 FZ600 that had been sitting in my garage for 25 years. I fully cleaned the carbs and jets, cleaned the tank, replaced all oils and got it started. It's still very hard to start without using starting fluid and there is afterfire from time to time when engine is still cold. I'd adjusted the air fuel mixture to a little to the rich side and afterfire stopped when engine warms up. Everything seems fine except that it still doesn't start without using starter fluid when cold. I'm thinking it's the valve clearance that needs to be shim. Does anybody know the factory specs of the valve clearance. I know the FJ600 specs is intake 1.1 to 1.5 and exhaust 2.1 to 2.5, just not sure if it's the same for the 86 FZ600.

I also changed to Hindle exhaust when I bought it. Just wonder if it needs to be tuned even richer to compensate for the straight exhaust.

Hi Daniel, this post is 9 years old so I doubt your going to get a reply..! Try a new thread. Right after you say hello in the new members section..!

• Cynic locked this topic
This post is 2216 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.