2001 R1 Gear Change Problem

Guest Richmun
This post is 5474 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest Richmun

Hi guys I put this in the wrong section last time. I have a 2001 model R1 that wants to go in to neutral between each gear, its not as bad when I am really getting up it but you cant always do that around town. I think it started doing around its last oil change. I used Motul 20W50, does anyone know if this oil would cause it if so what oil should I use.

Thanks Richmun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The oil should be fine, although I think 10/40W would be the ideal choice.

If you are constantly popping into neutral, it would suggest to me that the clutch is not dis/engaging properly. This may be a simple clutch cable adjustment at the lever end. It could also mean a worn clutch.

I would have a play with the adjuster first and see if it makes a difference.

hi there, u need to use a 10 /40 weight oil, not 20/50. i have seen many gearbox faults on r 1s mostly down to wheelies and burnouts etc, oil wise go for castrol if you can, dont worry about going for a fully synthetic oil, they are waste of money,, check free play at clutch lever , you need to be able to pull back lever softly about 8/10 mm before feeling a resistance, this should leave you a gap of 3/4 mm at holder end of lever,can u change gears at fair speed with out clucth? does it still go in and out properly?? if you want more info call me ,, 07970918855.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online