xs750 not getting a spark

KDiDP
This post is 5449 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought an XS750 that had been having electrical problems. Once I started working on it I found out it had water sitting inside of a custom control box containing the kill switch, dimmer switch, turn signal buttons, and starter button. I've sorted out the lighting problems(RLU got fried, it's bypassed until I get a hold of a replacement) and I've got the electric starter running. The problem now is that there's no spark from the plugs. What components of the ignition system would most likely have been damaged from running the bike with water in that box?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just bought an XS750 that had been having electrical problems. Once I started working on it I found out it had water sitting inside of a custom control box containing the kill switch, dimmer switch, turn signal buttons, and starter button. I've sorted out the lighting problems(RLU got fried, it's bypassed until I get a hold of a replacement) and I've got the electric starter running. The problem now is that there's no spark from the plugs. What components of the ignition system would most likely have been damaged from running the bike with water in that box?

kill switch, unless a related component is wired off the 12v supply to the coil. (red white stripe)

Hi

is this bike a 2D or an E (or later) modal ?

Regards Jim

I'm pretty sure it's an E, it's a 78 and it has electronic ignition.

Hi KDiDP,

what do you mean by a custom control box ? .. a non standard part doing a standard function without that info it is difficult to work out 'where you are'

Regards Jim

Yea, it's a non standard part doing a standard function. The box is between the speedometer and odometer and contains all of the "stock" left and right handlebar controls(except the horn, which has been removed). All of the controls seem to be working fine and the previous owner had supposedly been driving it around 2 months ago.

I was thinking that the ignition control unit may have gotten fried. How would I go about testing that?

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the red/white wire connected to the starter solenoid had shorted out on the positive battery contact on the same solenoid. So what I'm asking, really, is what components of the bike could have been damaged from a little jolt down the red/white wire?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online