r1 whinning noise

superbike36
This post is 5472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have 2000 plate r1 with 11000 miles on the clock.the problem i have is i have a whinning noise coming from the left hand side of the bike..

if i accelerate and the faster i get the noise gets louder and its still there if i decluch it and free run it..

i have changed the chain and sprockets as i was told it could be them..

if some one can help plz do as the good weather is coming and this noise is doing my nut in

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could be a simple thing like brake pads binding or it could be wheel bearings. Difficult to say without hearing it and knowing exactly where it is coming from.

It could be a simple thing like brake pads binding or it could be wheel bearings. Difficult to say without hearing it and knowing exactly where it is coming from.

its defo not not brakes binding...im wondering if it could be drive bearing on where front sprockets fits..but not 100% where noise is coming from there....i stripped front sprocket off theres no play in shaft etc....i even ran the bike with out front sprocket on but no whinning noise came from it then(but there wouldnt be no load on it due chain etc being taken off)....ive even changed the rear wheel needle bearing...

Hi,

Check that you starter motor is un-coupling after starting. If not this will certainly give you

a whining noise that changes with speed.

Take off the starter cover and run bike on stand in gear and watch if starter motor spins.

New starter clutch couplings are readily available.

Have you got some freeplay in the chain ? The manual states you should have 40 - 50mm freeplay measured at the middle of the bottom run of the chain with the rear wheel off the ground i.e on a padock stand.I know you said you have replaced the chain / sprockets but it could have been over tightened in the past which will have put a lot of strain on the front sprocket shaft bearing and the rear wheel bearings. Tony.

i have 2000 plate r1 with 11000 miles on the clock.the problem i have is i have a whinning noise coming from the left hand side of the bike..

if i accelerate and the faster i get the noise gets louder and its still there if i decluch it and free run it..

i have changed the chain and sprockets as i was told it could be them..

if some one can help plz do as the good weather is coming and this noise is doing my nut in

Sounds to me like the chain is too tight, I've had the same problem before, try loosening the chain a bit and see if that helps.

Sounds to me like the chain is too tight, I've had the same problem before, try loosening the chain a bit and see if that helps.

checked chain chain is the rite tightness....ive put a screw driver down by the shaft and ran the bike on paddock stand while putting my ear on the screw driver doesnt souund like any bearing noise is coming from shaft.im baffeled......

does it make the same noise on a paddock stand out of gear ? does it whine while on side stand revving bike up? if yes you have an interal fault, either clutch ,gearbox or crank related,,, let me know,,, if you wanna chat call me 07970918855