My new XS500

Dirk_Gently
This post is 5393 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello. I just got the opportunity to pick up a 1979 TX 500 (XS since it's from 79?) for a song and couldn't resist. Cost me 50 bucks and an RC plane - which I figure isn't too bad of a deal for me. It's not running now, but what can you expect for that price? Being delivered to me Saturday afternoon when I'll really be able to see what i'm getting in to. Some photos from the seller for your viewing pleasure:

1069018313.jpg

1069018315.jpg

1069018322.jpg

1069018324.jpg

I've never had bad luck with a Yamaha so i'm hopeful all will be well. Currently in the garage is a 1994 FZR 1000.

FZR1k_4.jpg

Yamaha wise i've gone through a handful of FZRs (2 600s and on my second 1000) and a 1972 R5B.

0e0ee688.jpg

I'm sure i'll have some questions for you XS/TX guys out there at some point, but just wanted to say hello to my fellow Yammy lovers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Dirk

Don't see too many of the XS500's around anymore :unsure: .....Plenty of 400's & 650's though! :rolleyes:

Looks like you landed it for a pretty fair deal. ;)

Like your FZR & the R5B too! :thumb:

:welcome: to the forum Dirk

Don't see too many of the XS500's around anymore :unsure: .....Plenty of 400's & 650's though! :rolleyes:

Looks like you landed it for a pretty fair deal. ;)

Like your FZR & the R5B too! :thumb:

No, you certainly don't.

Looks like a nice bike! Parts are going to be difficult to find, but my best finds for mine have been on ebay (ew) and actually quite a few items from mikesxs.com

Good luck!

No, you certainly don't.

Looks like a nice bike! Parts are going to be difficult to find, but my best finds for mine have been on ebay (ew) and actually quite a few items from mikesxs.com

Good luck!

Thanks! My biggest worry is not being able to find the parts it will either need right away or eventually. I'm sure with enough cross referencing there will be pieces out there though. I gather oil filters are tricky, but i've already seen an article that said yamaha made an adapted to use FZR filters for the XS/TX line. Though I imagine that adapter might be tricky to find too. I also read that a filter from a v6 hyundai of some type fits. Anyone know?

Bike only has 12k miles on it so I think the initial plan if the compression test goes well (150 psi is the the goal?) is to just do a basic tune up - points, condenser, oil, filters, plugs, clean the carbs...etc and see what happens. Delivery should be Saturday afternoon! My other worry is the "fix it" bug. I'm already tempted by going back to spoke wheels and chrome fenders....

Cross-Referencing is the key with these old Beasts.....

I DO know that the brakes & wheels are interchangable with other XS's & some RD's. :thumb:

Here's a great site for checking those part numbers, as well as having some fairly reasonable prices......MotoGrid

Cross-Referencing is the key with these old Beasts.....

I DO know that the brakes & wheels are interchangable with other XS's & some RD's. :thumb:

Here's a great site for checking those part numbers, as well as having some fairly reasonable prices......MotoGrid

Must be a rare bike when Motogrid doesn't list it as existing. :lol:

• 2 months later...

There is not automotive filter that has the proper physical dimensions and thread/pitch to fit the xs500. an oil filter for a nissan sentra 1992 model, 1.6 engine is the right physical size. thread/pitch is wrong. gasket seal area is correct. I have drilled and tapped the oil filter with a 22x1.5 tap and installed it on my xs.

some tme ebay offers original oil filters, but the ones i got for my 1975 xs500 were slightly too tall. Some owners actually cut a large opening in the side cover to allow the taller 4 and 5 inch filter to fit. they also give it a performance look.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum as well but i have been working on an XS500D for the past few months. As for parts it seems like the best place to get the is either eBay or bikebandit.com has a good number of parts.

now for my question, does anybody here know if mufflers from an XS650 are compatible with the XS500.

(also, as for the rarity, i have had about the same amount of trouble finding this bike on the internet, not even the yamaha service site recognizes its existence!)

I'll be watching this thread closely, hopefully i can help here and maybe it will give me some insight.

-Rob

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online