Stupidest thing?

wild foamy
This post is 5468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

just wondering, what was the stupidest thing you've ever done on your bikes?, even if by accident?.

for example, sneezing with your visor closed when stopped at the traffic lights with some other mates on peds, then taking your hand off the clutch lever to wipe it forgetting that it was in first, stalling the bike and then the light turning green whilst you are still fumbling around with the kickstart and your mates have rode off into the distance.

just silly little things like these :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

riding down the road with my feet in between my arms on my bars, iu know what u all thinkin "nuckin futs" haha but i only been riding a little while and it was suprisingly scary and i doubt ill be doing it again anytime soon,

also, when im riding i tend to like drift off and day dream then i realise that im on the wrong side of the road or like nearly in the kerb, need to stop it haha

Rode for 31 hours non-stop (apart from Fuel stop obviously!) , from Bayonne to Portugal then up to IJmuden (Amsterdam) (1600 Miles) - nearly killed me, stupidest thing I ever did. Stopped at the ferry terminal and fell over, me & the bike!

when down the main road standing on the back seat pulling a whealy with some mates on ped's about 2 weeks after i passed luckly dident fall off but wouldent do it again

and another time a little girl steped out so i slamed my breaks on but forgot to replace the rear pads the day befor so ended up right on the front wheal took my feat off and cracked my nuts on my tank lol tought me to allways doble cheque my bike befor i think its all put to gether :D was only like 1 minut after i had left my house.

then i was riding my push bike with my arms crossed pulling a whealy then saw a car coming shit my self smashed my nuts of the front head set and gave my self a nut the size of 2 oranges and had the week off colage cuz i couldent walk :D

im not a walking disaster :P

Going too fast into a corner.

First time out on my 125, riding at night and too close to the car in front.

What I thought was a corner turned out to be almost a complete U-shaped bend in the road. I realised I was too close after I'd started banking over and rolled off the throttle.

The 125 Dragstar weighs 144kg, has 12 HP and almost no engine braking.

I discovered this when I was about 6" off the back end of the car. I panicked and grabbed the front brake, instantly lowsiding at about 35mph and almost being hit by the car behind me at the same time.

Nothing more than light bruising and the saddlebags saved the 125's exhaust... Until another time when I hit diesel.

I've seen your picture...you must have lost a lot of weight for the photo shoot... :o

Which photo shoot was that?

I've always been underweight. I'm only just up to about 11 stone and at 5' 11", that's still a stone under.

6"2 and 11 stone am the origanal skinni kid but most gals agree a have bod soo i dnt care bout my weight it means nowtt

Hi everyone

just wondering, what was the stupidest thing you've ever done on your bikes?, even if by accident?.

for example, sneezing with your visor closed when stopped at the traffic lights with some other mates on peds, then taking your hand off the clutch lever to wipe it forgetting that it was in first, stalling the bike and then the light turning green whilst you are still fumbling around with the kickstart and your mates have rode off into the distance.

just silly little things like these :)

hi W/f

the sillest thing I did was to switch the front brake & clutch cables over on an old YG1 which belonged to a girl I fancied ..... just so I could 'fix' it :wub:

Regards Jim

whilst running in the r6 and getting very bored! i decided it would be a good idea to try and sit more up right with just fingertips on throttle and other hand on tank, cos my back was killin me.

was doin alright until i went round a slight left hand bend! stretched out throttle hand and accidently opened the throttle wide open, almost throwing me off and pulling a cracking wheelie :o

I paid a bit more attention after that!!

Many, many years ago I owned a 650 Ural. It was gaudy turquoisy green, a bit like a late sixties bathroom suite. :o I nicknamed it the BRUSH - Big Russian Shit-Heap or URINAL because it took the piss, ie nut heads either snapped off or ground off the flats. Mind you, my complete tool set then was a pair of mole grips. Great for a top-end strip down. So I picked up the girlfriend (new date ;) whom I'd impressed by telling her 'I've got a bike - it's a 650'. 'Oh, my dad rides a bike, I like motorbikes' so I clearly thought I was in. 'Pick you up at seven ish, we'll go for a burn'... So I turned up at her house. Classic seventies style, out she came in tight jeans, suede knee boots, fur coat.... just the thing for a night in the pub...and maybe, just maybe...Then she saw the bike. 'Is that it?' 'yes' I said. 'great, isn't it?' 'err, yes..' was the hesitant reply.

I should explain here the kick start was side on, so you had to get off it to restart it, which happened regularly... so too did the pillion, who sat on a saddle type seat behind me about six feet off the floor. Off we went - clattering and spluttering along. Urals made a great row, backfiring every gear change, firing (one pot sometimes) every lamp post. Until we got to the traffic lights, on a hill, busy junction - and stalled.

'You'll have to get off' I yelled, which she did, all embarrassed, as I pushed the thing over to the kerb and tried to start the heap up. I should also explain the return spring had gone on the kickstart, and it was replaced by a bungee cord, which snapped. So I had to lift the kickstart back up, before swinging the boot downwards. And once running, the kickstart a habit of dropping down and re-engaging - sounding just like one of those old football rattles...

Embarrassment hugely figured, cars honked their horns, white van man wound down his window and yelled 'come in 'ere with me, luv' - it was Life on Mars days.

Daftest thing I ever did on a bike. But the best thing I ever did was marry her eventually...and get rid of the Ural. But that's another tale. B)

Nice list so far!

Are you ready for my (longwinded) tale?

First stupid thing that springs to mind is -

On a lovely (scorching hot) sunny june day, sky is blue - clouds a distant memory...

Perfect weather for a gentle spin round the scenic parts of the county.

- here's the silly part - Wearing trainers, shorts, short sleeve shirt, possibley-legal "german army style" helmet and a pair of aviators.

I looked (and felt) SO cool!!

Bombing along country lanes with a shit-eating grin on my face!

The lane was carved out of sandstone in parts - and here is where I realised how stupid I'd been!

Going round a blind bend (a little too fast) - figured i should slow down in case something was coming the other way...

Now these were the days before I realised that, when braking hard on a corner you need to counter-steer more.

I braked,

and braked a bit harder...

"Oh dear, I am going a bit quick" is the polite way of saying what I was thinking while I leave a small patch of my back tyre on the road...

The bike is trying to stand up,

it's running wide (towards the BIG sandstone wall!)

I drop off the tarmac, onto the dusty side of the road,

handlebars shaking on the rough terrain,

heart beating so hard I think it's gonna come outtta my chest, mind thinking "you f@#king idiot!" AND...

I steady the bike, pull out of the corner and glide to a gentle stop.

then breathe...

and look down with a puzzled look on my face. Why am I covered in sand? where did it come from??

So I turn the engine off, get off and wonder back up the road - to the scene of the crime as it were.

I see dust on the floor, a streak of rubber on the tarmac and a light dusting of sand.

Strange? then I turn around, and it slowly dawns on me as I see a bright scar on the wall - I jog back down to my bike to find a lump of sandstone on my highway/crash bars!

I can't believe how close I came to seriously hurting myself, and how stupid I was to be wearing that whilst riding!

:eusa_doh:

when I lived in N devon, had a kh125 and decided to see how fast I could go round a particular bend. I eventually ran off the tyres at about 6 in the morning, pushing my thumb socket out ( and I pushed it back in!) then having to push the feckin bike into Ifracombe up the bloody hills and explain why i need to go to the hospital to an irate boss!!

Once, in a gas station,went for a coffe waiting for the tank to be fill.When i was returning to my bike, i realised the employee was putting DIESEL on my motorcycle.What followed was a nightmare !!

Never loose sight of your bike in a gas station.

:angry::angry::angry:

Not me but witnessed/assisted in probably the most unfortunate incident for a tattoed, "maturish" female rider on a whoppin great roadie (it's no-one you know :blink: )....

I was at a sport event driving a busload of juniors back to our accommodation after dinner. Off in the distance at a red light I could see someone wobbling around on their bike, looking like they are fully pissed, eventually falling over along with the bike. We pulled up behind, hazard lights on ready to assist, and could see that the rider was female and couldn't get the bike up and had no chance of doing so. That was about when I noticed the tat on her back - a nice job of swirly things that goes to a point left and right and then another dissapearing errr south. Nothing wrong with that, just painting the picture so to speak. Pretty much blocking the two lanes, my assistant sprung out to help and that was when she turned around and we saw that she had her face covered with one of those bandana things that was basically a skull. "Waaaah" went all the juniors :o . I have to admit that I also drew breath and had to remind myself it was just a bandana. It was dark ya know. By this stage horns are honking but "Andrew" had got her bike up and helping her to wheel it off the intersection. I could just make out that she had smashed a few bits on the left side and couldn't get it started. Not to leave a damsel in distress, "Andrew" then pushed her up the road, giving her a quick lesson in roll starts as they went. It took more than a few goes and "Andrew" didn't have much left but she got it going and left in a roar with a "thanks luv". "Andrew" returned to the bus a hero and off we went. The kids will be talking about that one for a while I think. Me too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online