Petrol Tank Virago 535

Serpent1uk
This post is 2203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldn't have thought so, no.

Not without some jiggery-pokery and having it custom fitted by a creative spanner-monkey.

However, you can get a 535 upgrade tank to increase your fuel capacity from the standard 8 litre embarrassment to a very respectable 13 litres!!!

That should help, eh!!

I wouldn't have thought so, no.

Not without some jiggery-pokery and having it custom fitted by a creative spanner-monkey.

However, you can get a 535 upgrade tank to increase your fuel capacity from the standard 8 litre embarrassment to a very respectable 13 litres!!!

That should help, eh!!

Iv seen theses tanks and they do look goo they have twin filler caps but they only fit the older 535 with the dummey top tank you can get them from here www.customcruisers.com

• 4 months later...

Is your 535cc Virago really a post-1990 model? If so, the 13 litre capacity is split between the upper and lower petrol tanks. Assuming you do have two tanks that store petrol (i.e. the upper isn't a dummy), the question you should be asking is "Why do I only get 90 miles before needing to to top up?"

Do you have a petrol leak somewhere? Tyre pressures o.k? Carbs, plugs, tappets set up correctly? Brakes free, not binding?

Assuming everything on the bike is set up correctly, your fuel consumption is excessive. But if you are an overweight hooligan who revs the nuts off the engine in every gear and cruises at 80+ mph, then your Virago will gobble fuel. However in normal solo use up to 75 mph, I get 150 miles between fill-ups, without breaking into a sweat. Best ever solo, with full touring luggage, at steady 60-70 mph was 185 miles with 0.4 litres left when I filled up. I was sweating!

Is your reserve switch working? Shortly after buying the bike I kept 'running out of fuel' at about 120 miles. The electric reserve plunger mechanism in the lower tank wasn't working. I tried cleaning it up but it was still unreliable. So I disconnected the electrical reserve switch on the handlebar, then swapped the main and reserve pipes over in the bottom of the lower tank. So no reserve, but at least I can burn all the fuel in the tanks. I am really careful about resetting and then keeping an eye on the trip meter after every fill-up. Works for me.

P.S. I looked everywhere for a larger tank, 200+ miles between normal fill-ups would be great for touring. There are loads of useless cosmetic accessories for this bike, but bigger tanks there are none.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online