Soft/spongy gear change 1st - 2nd on an XV535 when it's cold

pjvenda
This post is 5469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi people,

When my XV535 is cold, gear changes from 1st to 2nd feel very soft or spongy. There's no audible noise or hardly any mechanical feedback. The gear engages alright, but it's not the same.

After the bike warms up, all comes back to normal - roughly similar noise and mechanical feedback between all gear changes.

Should I be worried at all?

Cheers,

Pedro.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope. No worries at all, chap.

It feels odd because the oil inside the engine is cold and thick.

Once it's warmed up, the oil is a bit thinner and flows easier.

This same oil lubricates your gear assembly, including the clutch, hence feeling odd when cold.

Just let the engine warm up for a minute or two before riding.

Use this time to pull on and fasten the zips on all your riding kit. Then do a quick walk round the bike doing your pre-ride checks on the tyres, lights, oil levels etc.

By the time you're done the bike will be warmed and off you go!!!

I do it every morning.

It feels odd because the oil inside the engine is cold and thick.

Once it's warmed up, the oil is a bit thinner and flows easier.

This same oil lubricates your gear assembly, including the clutch, hence feeling odd when cold.

Makes every bit of sense to me!

Just let the engine warm up for a minute or two before riding.

Use this time to pull on and fasten the zips on all your riding kit. Then do a quick walk round the bike doing your pre-ride checks on the tyres, lights, oil levels etc.

Funny - I keep thinking I'm the only one to check the steering, lights, horn, indicators, etc, before setting off... :]

Thanks for the assurance!

Cheers,

Pedro.

POWER checks;

Petrol

Oil

Water (cooling system)

Electrics

Rubber.

Or, if yours is an air-cooled V-Twin, shiny chromed bike that doesn't go out in the rain - Petrol, Oil, Weather, Electrics, Rubber ;)

POWER checks;

Petrol

Oil

Water (cooling system)

Electrics

Rubber.

Or, if yours is an air-cooled V-Twin, shiny chromed bike that doesn't go out in the rain - Petrol, Oil, Weather, Electrics, Rubber ;)

Petrol oil WEATHER electrics rubber lol very good, mine has seen rain once :lol:

Petrol oil WEATHER electrics rubber lol very good, mine has seen rain once :lol:

Weather up here usually means Sun, Wind, Rain, Snow, Rain, Wind, Rain oh and Snow again and thats just the first hour of riding from the house.

Weather up here usually means Sun, Wind, Rain, Snow, Rain, Wind, Rain oh and Snow again and thats just the first hour of riding from the house.

But you do have the veiws to make up for it

If you can see through the fog and rain yes we have the views, saying that i would swop them sometimes for just a few decent weeks of nice weather.

It was 4 degrees this morning on the way through to work, so much for spring and global warming. Hope its better tomorrow as i will have the bike instead of the tin box.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online