Have i Broken it ??

thunder jocky
This post is 5483 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have bought a seondhand thunderace and after getting used to it, i decided to pull a few Gsssssss making a chav look a tit (he was boxing me in on every vehicle we passed on a dual carrigeway) so when the oppertunity arose i shot of and made him a distant memory. Any way now she sounds like she has blown exhust. still running OK but a few Db's lower. Have i poped something ???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like exhaust has got a hole in it might be able 2 weld it, but i should imagine you need new down pipes if they have blown when giving it some beans!

i would be surprised if you had holed the exhaust caning it, maybe the exup has gone out adjustment (it has a large effect on the exhaust tone) or the joints have a leak.

put you hand over the end of the can/s while it is running, ithe bike should cut out or feel a load of pressure from the exhaust and if it is leaking you will be able to hear it.

if you can hear a blow run your hand about 2 inches away from the exhast while it is running and you should feel where it is coming from (carefull though, they exhausts get very hot)

Ken

sounds like exhaust has got a hole in it might be able 2 weld it, but i should imagine you need new down pipes if they have blown when giving it some beans!

i have done a quick check for leaks and didn't find any so i am hoping its not one i haven't found. But i have booked it in for a going over. thanks

i would be surprised if you had holed the exhaust caning it, maybe the exup has gone out adjustment (it has a large effect on the exhaust tone) or the joints have a leak.

The guy at DKs said it's just because it's a race can and it will sound that way and perhaps get louder. not the best of news as the local constabulary use the A50 as a hunting ground. i've heard about this EXUP valve but don't have a clue where it is, also i found a part on E-Bay thats looks worrying called an exhaust pump. scarry stuff.

I've got it by jove !

you've blown an eardrum ? :mellow:

put you hand over the end of the can/s while it is running, ithe bike should cut out or feel a load of pressure from the exhaust and if it is leaking you will be able to hear it.

if you can hear a blow run your hand about 2 inches away from the exhast while it is running and you should feel where it is coming from (carefull though, they exhausts get very hot)

Ken

Tried the hand thing today and it did cut out so that's good i guess, she moaned about starting afterwards though. i still can't find any obvious blowing on the system. i'm thinking she is just a loud mouth beast and likes to sing about it.

Thanks

The guy at DKs said it's just because it's a race can and it will sound that way and perhaps get louder. not the best of news as the local constabulary use the A50 as a hunting ground. i've heard about this EXUP valve but don't have a clue where it is, also i found a part on E-Bay thats looks worrying called an exhaust pump. scarry stuff.

its not that complex, its a moving plate that varies the back pressure in the header pipes. its located in the collector box at the low point of the exhaust system. It is operated by a servo next to the carbs, which moves two cables which open and close the valve.

EXUPs can sieze and they need a little TLC to keep them working well.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online