'80 xs400 kickstart issue

thrasher_s
This post is 5486 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been working on a 1980 xs400 for a little while now and it recently developed a new problem. The kickstart used to fire up the bike on the first kick almost every time, even when it was very cold. Suddenly, it stopped working. The bike will start with the electric start, but it is finicky when cold, so i like to kick it.

The kickstart DOESN'T work when the bike is cold. There is little or no resistance and the bike doesn't turn over.

When warm, the kickstart DOES work, perfectly. I am confused.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have been working on a 1980 xs400 for a little while now and it recently developed a new problem. The kickstart used to fire up the bike on the first kick almost every time, even when it was very cold. Suddenly, it stopped working. The bike will start with the electric start, but it is finicky when cold, so i like to kick it.

The kickstart DOESN'T work when the bike is cold. There is little or no resistance and the bike doesn't turn over.

Hi there, the first thing to check is to make sure that your kickstart lever is tight on the shaft and not just sliding round,either get someone else to kick it over while you watch to see if the shaft is moving or mark the lever and shaft with paint and kick it a couple of times and see if the marks still line up.

the next thing to check if this is ok is your clutch operation?

hope this helps

Regards Bill

I will check to see if the lever is tight.

Clutch works well, but not great. I am trying to get it adjusted correctly today as it slips a bit when the engine is pushing hard. Clutch operation is fine, but I might need to replace the friction disks.

if your kick start isn't working, than I assume the clutch is slipping as(I have mentioned in another thread) you need the clutch to grip for the kick to work.

there should be 2-3mm play at the bar lever and to adjust the clutch, take out the black plug and unlock the nut. screw in the philips screw head till it just touches resistance then back off 1/4 turn (anticlock wise)

lock it off using the nut.

you should have full clutch operation and be able to kick start

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online