Clutch Cable Breaks While Riding!!

77500Xs
This post is 5470 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After putting about a 40 mile trip on my 78 XS500 today my clutch cable snapped as I shifted into 5th gear! Luckily I was only about a mile from home and was able to get back without stopping and a couple hard shifts without the clutch. I took off the right side cover to find the end piece of the cable broke away from clutch lever assy to the engine. Once I order a new cable it should be a simple fix. Now my issue is when I tried to start it back up via kickstart it wasn't catching! Could I have ruined the kickstart from the few hard shifts I made without using the clutch? I still had the right side cover off and foot peg while attempting.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well guys, after doing some thorough research on the forums I think I may have adjusted my clutch too tight which is making my kick start not catch correctly. I rigged up what was left on the end of my cable to the clutch so that I could operate the clutch good enough to get into the garage. In the process I am assuming I may have adjusted it too much which is affecting my kick start now...? I hope so.. Does any one know if a 74-78 xs650 clutch cable will fit my xs500? I'm hoping to buy one off of mikesxs.com.

yep the clutch plates need to be compressed for the kick start to work.

It goes via the gearbox to the engine crank.

when the engine starts the same is reversed but the kick is detached from the gearbox due to the ratchet mechanism.

measure you inner and outer cable and ask the members here to see if they are the same length!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online