Young blood

wild foamy
This post is 5473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

just wandering, are there any other 50cc L-plate riders or am i here all on my tod? i know theres some 125 riders on the forum but it appears that i am the only 16yo rider here :blink:

could it be that biking is more for old farts and mid-life crisis sufferers? :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone.

just wandering, are there any other 50cc L-plate riders or am i here all on my tod? i know theres some 125 riders on the forum but it appears that i am the only 16yo rider here :blink:

Nope...Ive been biking since I was a spotty little teenager like you are now :lol:

Cheeky git!!

Rode my first bike to School, DT50 it was back in the 80's

Had my 125's,

Went through the sportsbike stage,

ride real world bikes now.....

first bike at 16 in 1962 back in the days when you could ride a 250 on l plates.

tiger cub, franny barnet 175, royal enfield crusader sports first 250, bonnieville t140 sold last year.

do not remember any thing as small as a dt50 in them days even the lawnmowers had bigger engines then.

as for an old fart or mid life crisis ? i must be an old fart as i have always rode bikes so no mid life crisis.

hope when you grow up you get to be an old fart! many young riders never make it.

stay in control, die of old age as the ad says motorbikes are not dangerous, bad riders are.

I read this the other week on Bennets website, according to them its a profile of the average biker, he's called Ben apparently...

Name: Ben

Sex: Male (96.8%)

Hair Colour: Brown (66.2%)

Glasses: No (62.3%)

Additional features: Tattoos (53.3%) and Beard (32.6%)

Height: 6ft (33.3%)

Motorbike: Honda (30.1%)

How often do you ride: Twice a week (42.8%)

Do you use the bike to commute to work: Yes (54.9%)

Average annual mileage: 5,001 – 10,000 (43.0%)

Favourite genre of music: Rock/Heavy Metal (48.8%)

How long have you been riding: 1-3 years (22.9%)

How many motorbikes have you owned: 6 (47.9%)

Do you own a car: Yes (80.0%)

Favourite sport: Superbikes (52.8%)

Annual income: £20,000 – 39,999 (44.4%)

The traditional stereotype of bikers being free-spirited Hell's Angel's is thing of the past, according to research released today by Bennetts. The UK's number one for bike insurance* has revealed the profile of the 'average biker' in 21st Century Britain, a seemingly upstanding, 40-something middle-class citizen who is a married, professional, family man.

They also say

Biking seems to still be very much associated with a mid-life crisis as the average biker has only been riding for two years, despite his age.

Now I'm no hells angel, I'm a 25 year old bloke who until a year ago had no interest in bikes whatsoever (and no biker mates either) but one day decided it might be fun to have a go, so I'm not sure where I fit in to that typical biker profile.

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

I have also been riding since i was a spotty teenager.

Started on L-plates at 17 on my Yamaha Ybr-125 (sept 2006)

Passed me test in the june 2006 and got a Bandit 600

Traded that in for my beloved FZ6 FAzer S2 in october 2007

I am Now 20 so no longer a teen and as of last saturday I no longer have a bike which is usable!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Ohhh, you're brave! lol

I believe there is no such thing as a typical biker, we're all individual.

I'm 30, been riding bikes since the age of 6, going pillion with my Dad from shortly after.

Though i ride a sports bike everyday, my taste extends into just about every field from custom to vintage.

Other bikes I ride range from a BMW R1100RS to a BSA Bantam D7 or even a 1934 Velocette 250cc!!!

People think old bikes only appeal to old blokes!!

[quote

I believe there is no such thing as a typical biker, we're all individual.

I used to pop down to Boxhill before I moved 'tup north and was always impressed with how diverse the biking scene is.

Foamy's (youngsters!!) on their 'peds, crossers, supersports, cruisers and everything in between (even 'Wings lol).

In Ryka's one day when this (really) old dude in a wheelchair being pushed by his (older) wife struggle to find somewhere to eat and everybody had a shuffle round to make space.

No pretensions, no clicky clubs just everybody having a bloody good time around the bikes, way cool.

:)

been riding since i was 16, im 31 now, just tend to ride now when it suits me, though i do ride to work if its dry.

i dont buy all this 'average biker' claptrap.

or am i here all on my tod? ------------------------------------------

No stevey we were all like u too [sixteener specials] We can relate to all ur enthusiastic ambitions. Wen we were 16 , the diference was everbody had a moped/or bike under 250cc.Coz we cudna afford a car .> Picture it stevey"-- sat night in our town, street lined with say 5 fissies,10 Garelli tigers, honda ss50s , cassals, Malaguti, fantics,Gillera"s,AP50s, [ Sorry O.Git. no moblets] The year 1975, All fired up, and convoyed down the street " The noise was deffning" and the air blue with two-stroke, :rolleyes: Aye stevey u wuda loved it - SO UR NOT ON UR TOD ;)

lol, i sometiems go out riding around town with some friends on peds in the evening just for something to do... now that is a proper laugh.

the noise as the modified Peugeot speedfights and the Jog R with a hole in the exhaust blast down the link road is like high-pitched thunder, then a loud bang as the chinese crosser spills its guts out all over the road.

oh, and of coarse i can beat all of them in a straight-line drag 'cus i got gears! :lol:

it must have been good in your day if you could ride up to 250... atleast then you could get places without being late

Back in your day eh!!! fck me blackhat you must be passed it mate. :lol:

Ahhh yes the heady days when you could slap some L's on a Superdream and ride into the sunset!

Sadly the 'regulators' have had a real go at killing off youngsters getting into bikes and the relative low cost of four wheel motoring has meant that most youngsters are buying Saxo's & Corsa's! But I remember the days of the Fizzies & Garellis and all my 16 year old mates turning up on their 'peds (I wasn't allowed!).

I have been off and on bikes for a good few years (more of than on until recently), and I object to the stereotyping - Have Bennetts not considered that bikes for most people are not their main form of transport, as cars are now very much cheaper, and that by and large it is the over 35's (I'm being careful here!), who can afford to own and run bikes in addition to cars - therefore giving rise to the myth of the 'mid-life crisis' biker. My daughter is just coming up 16 and can't wait to get on 2 wheels - but only because she sees her parents ride, and is not discouraged from doing so. In these days of carbon footprints and congestion we should be encouraging more people out of their cages and on to bikes by starting with youngsters!

Right - ok i'll get off my soapbox now!!!

;) ;) ;)

Right - ok i'll get off my soapbox now!!!

;););) BRAVO--BRAVO----Fosdyke for presidenti [ great comment]

you must be passed it mate. :lol:
AHEM ------ The words" Kettle --pot & black" B) --- cum to mind

...My daughter is just coming up 16 and can't wait to get on 2 wheels - but only because she sees her parents ride, and is not discouraged from doing so...

...we should be encouraging more people out of their cages and on to bikes by starting with youngsters!

;) ;) ;)

thats my point, theres not enough of us young'ens riding to replace the oldies, Biking seems to be a dieing sport :(

thats my point, theres not enough of us young'ens riding to replace the oldies, Biking seems to be a dieing sport :(

Bring back the 50's that's what I say!

Looked into getting some chinese copies of the old fizzies and importing them couple of years back - but they don't make 'em for the european market - too many restrictions, all the 50's were scooters!

We need more like you WF - fancy being a spokesperson for young bikers??

We need more like you WF - fancy being a spokesperson for young bikers??

you bet!, one things for sure i'd be making a few changes for the good of us younger bikers...

*rolls up sleeves*

but not right now... past my bedtime already :(...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online