New XVS 1300A Midnight Star owner

monkeyass
This post is 3892 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Macca, glad you're enjoying the bike. Know what you mean about sitting at work thinking about the next ride! Also know what you mean about the number plate - I'm thinking of moving mine to the side... just a shame that motorbike plates have to be yellow + black, rather than the old style black & white.

Just added a chrome radiator cover and some passanger footboards (from custom wizards) - looks good.

Stu, thanks for your thoughts on the handlebars. My arms seem quite straight on the bike, perhaps I'll see about adjusting the bars but won't that make them raised or lowered? I went for a ride the other day & it didn't seem quite as bad, maybe I'm getting used to it or the seat is softening up or who knows??? I'll see how it goes. Do you know if the RSTD bars come further back than the stock ones? If all else fails I'll have to get on a rack...!!

Off out this weekend to put some more miles on the clock - can't wait :)

Hi,

Glad to see you guys are getting there! :-)

I'm not sure about the bars, but I wonder if rotating them a bit towards the tank might lower them a bit?? Mine certainly bump into my legs at full lock, but on the other hand I don’t get much of a sore back :-)

There is a "lay down" mod available for the back number plate that I’ve seen... I have just brought a smaller "show plate" that looks a lot better... so far I’ve not bee pulled over, lets hope I haven’t just jinxed myself.

I have a chrome rad grill, and passenger plates, that are much nicer than the standard pegs... This weekend’s project is heated grips in time for winter... I got some units that fit inside the bars rather than replace my lovely Kyrinani ( or however you spell it) grips...

Oh and I’ve taken of the passenger seat and fitted a small fender rack....

I'm a serial moder... :-)

New: Grips, rad cover, 02Mod, passenger plates, screen, driving lights, exhaust ( Roadhouse slip on) fender rack, Sebil Horn, LED light kits, "spinning" tail light... probably a few other bits I have forgotten about... oh like the redundant sissy bar and rack, that I have taken off with the rear seat... Money I'll never see back, but hey makes me smile when I look at her! :-)

Ride safe

Stu

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get the heated grips from that fit inside the bars? - they sound good. Have been meaning to get grips for years + have promised myself some for this winter (possibly in combo with bar muffs for extra warm hands on the way to work).

Like the sound of all your accessories - you'll have to post some pics :)

I've got sissy bar, passing lamps, tall screen, passenger footboards & rad cover, but ran out of money... :( Have been reading what everyone says about the O2 mod, still debating whether to get one...

Will dig out my allen key on Sunday & adjust the bars to see if any improvement. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how I get on.

Hi Macca, glad you're enjoying the bike. Know what you mean about sitting at work thinking about the next ride! Also know what you mean about the number plate - I'm thinking of moving mine to the side... just a shame that motorbike plates have to be yellow + black, rather than the old style black & white.

Just added a chrome radiator cover and some passanger footboards (from custom wizards) - looks good.

Stu, thanks for your thoughts on the handlebars. My arms seem quite straight on the bike, perhaps I'll see about adjusting the bars but won't that make them raised or lowered? I went for a ride the other day & it didn't seem quite as bad, maybe I'm getting used to it or the seat is softening up or who knows??? I'll see how it goes. Do you know if the RSTD bars come further back than the stock ones? If all else fails I'll have to get on a rack...!!

Off out this weekend to put some more miles on the clock - can't wait :)

I've fitted the RSTD bars and for me the difference is huge - much more comfortable position and not a stretch any more. Yes they do have more pull back than the stock bars, about 4 inches I reckon. IMO is really is worth doing - I thought I was getting used to the stock bars, but it just changed the whole ride for me when I got them fitted. You can try rotating the stock bars, but I didn't find that was any help...they were just too low and too far away !

Fitting the RSTD bars is pretty easy, you'll need to order part # 1D6-26110-01-00 from your dealer. He may try and tell you they're not bike bars, but a jet ski bar, but don't worry about it ...its the same bar, just we don't get the Royal Star Tour Deluxe in the UK. This part # is different from what you may here US folk talking about. About 130 quid from memory.

You'll find the bar ends from the stock bars won't fit the RSTD bars, so in theory you'd need to order RSTD bar ends too....except you can't as they don't seem to be available to UK dealers. This means you can't use the stock grips anymore...

However...

What most folk do when they do this is to change the stock grips for the Kuryakyn ISO grips or similar. These don't need bar ends, and they look heaps better, and its actually cheaper to do this than buy the bar ends for the RSTD bars (if you could buy them that is).

You don't need to re-cable and provided you're half way handy, it'll take you about an hour to do. Don't think there are any 'gotchas' when you're doing it...just watch that the bars don't drop on your tank when you slacken off the pinch bolts !!!

Where did you get the heated grips from that fit inside the bars? - they sound good. Have been meaning to get grips for years + have promised myself some for this winter (possibly in combo with bar muffs for extra warm hands on the way to work).

Like the sound of all your accessories - you'll have to post some pics :)

I've got sissy bar, passing lamps, tall screen, passenger footboards & rad cover, but ran out of money... :( Have been reading what everyone says about the O2 mod, still debating whether to get one...

Will dig out my allen key on Sunday & adjust the bars to see if any improvement. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how I get on.

I got the heaters from Alchemy they are not on the web site, well at least I couldn’t find them, but when I spoke to Chris he pointed me at Polly heaters, http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm he had em in stock, cost about £40, which I didn’t think was to bad.

... Took me all day yesterday to fit them! They wont work with the standard grips, because you have to drill out the threads that hold on the bar end weights... like others hear I have changed the standard grips, so couldn’t use them anyway.

Tried them on the way to work today and they are pretty good... takes about 10-15 mins to get up to temp though... the wife has "traditional" grips on her bake that get up to heat faster, but mean you can use fancy grips

Alchemy also sell the 02 mod, its about £60... and takes 2 mins to fit... easy to do, and makes the ride a lot smoother...

What’s the tall screen like? I have the small and medium.. I am thinking of a clearview shield 18" they do one with a vent in just like the Gold wing, which might be neat... its also 4" wider than standard. www.clearviewshields.com

Bloody thing... whish I'd never started moding :-)

The tall screen is good - you don't feel any wind whilst you're riding (apart from side). I like the idea of the vents as in summer there's no air flow into your face so it's a bit stuffy - am tempted to remove the screen on really hot days...

The only problem with the tall screen is in the rain it gets a bit hard to see for about a minute or two before the water starts to disperse properly. You don't get any water on your visor, but you can always wipe your visor!

Not too sure whether polly heaters would be much use for my 125 as am only 15 mins from work :-( [maybe some Oxford overgrips for that], but if or when I change my bars/grips I may invest for the 1300

Know what you mean about modding - shame the missus likes things like food otherwise....

The tall screen is good - you don't feel any wind whilst you're riding (apart from side). I like the idea of the vents as in summer there's no air flow into your face so it's a bit stuffy - am tempted to remove the screen on really hot days...

The only problem with the tall screen is in the rain it gets a bit hard to see for about a minute or two before the water starts to disperse properly. You don't get any water on your visor, but you can always wipe your visor!

Not too sure whether polly heaters would be much use for my 125 as am only 15 mins from work :-( [maybe some Oxford overgrips for that], but if or when I change my bars/grips I may invest for the 1300

Know what you mean about modding - shame the missus likes things like food otherwise....

I know what u mean about the screen... Yamaha do a quick relase kit but it loads of £'s...thats why I like the vent idea, but I alrady have a small and medium screen, so a third is maybe taking the mick...

on the 125 u could fit Oxford heated grips, they do them in two sizes, I dont know what size bar the 125 has... they are a fairly easy fit and get real hot real quick...

We are off to Wales at the weekend so will probobly get some good use out of mine :-)

• 1 month later...

Finally got a quote for the RSTD bars from a jetski dealer = £128.94 (inc vat). Tried to get quote from my bike dealer but they couldn't find the part (no access to jetski parts apparently). Hopefully may be able to get them soon. Mind, can't imagine I'll be out on it much till spring now :(

Guess if I'm changing handlebars/grips on the 1300 it could be a good time to fit the pollyheaters? At least these projects will keep me busy over winter (just have to figure out how to get the bike in my house so I don't freeze in my garage - not that the other half would have any of it!)

Also bought some oxford hot hands for my 125 - due to fit this weekend, they came with free bar muffs (M&P) for £40. Thought the bar muffs would be smallish, but I reckon I could climb in them as they're massive!! Thank god it'll be dark when I'm using them :) (will show a pic once they're fitted)

Still haven't done the 02 mod, that might be on my christmas list too...

Finally got a quote for the RSTD bars from a jetski dealer = £128.94 (inc vat). Tried to get quote from my bike dealer but they couldn't find the part (no access to jetski parts apparently). Hopefully may be able to get them soon. Mind, can't imagine I'll be out on it much till spring now :(

Guess if I'm changing handlebars/grips on the 1300 it could be a good time to fit the pollyheaters? At least these projects will keep me busy over winter (just have to figure out how to get the bike in my house so I don't freeze in my garage - not that the other half would have any of it!)

Also bought some oxford hot hands for my 125 - due to fit this weekend, they came with free bar muffs (M&P) for £40. Thought the bar muffs would be smallish, but I reckon I could climb in them as they're massive!! Thank god it'll be dark when I'm using them :) (will show a pic once they're fitted)

Still haven't done the 02 mod, that might be on my christmas list too...

I wouldn’t bother with the Polly heaters... they do heat up the bars a bit.. but not enough…. Some you win some you lose… wasted my cash 

I got a set of Oxfords for mine after trying my wife’s... a whole different class.. I rode home yesterday and with the Oxfords turned right down, they where loads hotter than the Pollys... They are almost to hot!

Of course the grips aren’t so nice to look at, but I'm leaving mine on till spring... I would love to try a set of those RSTD bars on a long trip... I feel like I must be missing something.

It must be nice to have a p[air of bikes to chose from... especially if you don’t mind one getting a bit dirty :-)

thanks for the info on the polly's I'll see about Oxford one's for it (did you get the standard size Hot Hands or the full grips?)

I'd also like to try the RSTD bars first... am just going to have to do it though as my back and wrists can't take long distances/45mins on my bike.

Having 2 bikes is ok, but also a pain. Hardly get to use my 1300 as I use the 125 for commuting but it struggles to keep up with traffic. Wish I could use my 1300 for commuting but the max speed road I go on is 40mph - know I'd get caught speeding, 40mph in second and all that! Also 1300 is too big for filtering (struggle on the 125) through Leeds traffic!

I may have to trade my 125 in for a commuter bike next year as the Dragstar 125 has too much chrome for winter - cleaning it in Jan/Feb after a week commuting is not fun!

thanks for the info on the polly's I'll see about Oxford one's for it (did you get the standard size Hot Hands or the full grips?)

I'd also like to try the RSTD bars first... am just going to have to do it though as my back and wrists can't take long distances/45mins on my bike.

Having 2 bikes is ok, but also a pain. Hardly get to use my 1300 as I use the 125 for commuting but it struggles to keep up with traffic. Wish I could use my 1300 for commuting but the max speed road I go on is 40mph - know I'd get caught speeding, 40mph in second and all that! Also 1300 is too big for filtering (struggle on the 125) through Leeds traffic!

I may have to trade my 125 in for a commuter bike next year as the Dragstar 125 has too much chrome for winter - cleaning it in Jan/Feb after a week commuting is not fun!

I didn’t know there where two sorts of Oxford Hot grips... The wife has a Kawasaki ZZ600 with "full grips"... well they just look like new grips, with a nice digital heat controller

Mine are the same, albeit with larger diameter tubes, cos the cruisers are bigger bore.. Mine has "old fashioned" analogue control, still work just as good but don’t look as nice...

I use mine for work, and don’t mind filtering, I think its mostly a sate of mind... I bet the 1300 is not much more than 12" wider than the 125 and has a whole lot more presence, especially with the lamps on, I also have a Sebil Horn, so I tend to sit behind the cars so they get the full benefit of the lamps, if they don’t move then a genital prod on the horn normally helps :-)

That said I'm thinking of a second bike for the winter... maybe a Triumph Speed Triple.

I'm coming to Leeds next month to visit my daughter who is at Uni there.... maybe we could meet for a quick coffee, I would like to see the engine guards fitted... also be interested in your bar position.. I can do much more than 1 hour before I get stiff, my longest run so far has been 450 miles in a day

I do like the Triumph - nice looking bike...

I got the Oxford Hot Hands which velcro over the normal grips (fit upto 22mm bars? - may see if they fit my 1300) - I know the Oxford Heated Grips come in two sizes, but they replace the grips...(think you have to 'glue' them on?)

Maybe its drivers in Leeds, but when I'm filtering I always get cars that either don't move over (makes it awkward to squeeze past), or worse will move to block me from passing... don't know why?? I guess it could be the size of the 125, though it looks bigger than the usual 125s.

As for the sizes between the two:

menewoldbike.jpg

Def good to meet up, pm me the details of when you're in Leeds and I'll pop down on the bike. As for the bar position, maybe I'm too used to my smaller 125s??

On a slightly different note, take care riding out there, poor fella was killed in Leeds today in bike vs van collision (bike may have pulled out of junction into van?)

Yep I'll definitely drop you a PM nearer the time... I think we are up the last week in November

Re the grips, your correct you replace the originals... I see from your photos you have the standard grips?

They are easy to get off and as for gluing the new ones on, its just the clutch side the throttle is a brand new assembly... gluing is simple, the kit comes with a bit of super glue, just a little dab is all you need so you can get them off again v easy

Sorry to hear about the accident, that’s part of the reason I did the advanced training... clearly anyone of us can have a bad accident, but anything you can do to give yourself the best chance of survival must be worth while ( Oh and its free :-) )

Bikes look nice together... an interesting combo... looking at them I wouldn’t have thought the 125 was much narrower than the 1300??

With regards to filtering, I agree it can be a pain when the bastards don’t move over... Have you tried the 1300... I'm sure those lights will make a difference... I also have a Roadhouse exhaust on mine, so i think they want me out of the way so they can listen to the radio!

I'm just south of Bedford between the M1 (J12) and the A1 - if you're ever heading down this way, I've got the RSTD bars fitted. Happy to meet up if you want. And I'm interested in the Yammie engine bars as well (I posted on thread with the pics of your bike) - ground clearance etc..

• 3 years later...

:hyper: hi I just got ma sell a xvs 1300 a fue weeks ago, great big bike need to learen how two drive it , its no like what I am used to. but drove it up from tamworth good on the motorway, going back down to Silverstone on Friday a nice wee 7hr run haha

any way this is a great form been reading some of the comments interesting views cheers. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online