The Old Divi came out of hibernation

JimR
This post is 5474 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

This week I am taking my class I test in Glos so to get there I took the covers off the Divi and ran it the 40 or so miles from here (Worcestershire) to there (Glos) as usual it didn't like the winter lay off but on the way back ran as it should but as a note to others don't forget if youur bike has 'been to bed for the winter' don't forget to check the tyre pressures and if any of the calipers have siezed up. I didn't have these problems but as I was running down the M5 I had to recollect if I had checked these items out ... or not ! Well the Class I went ok (only managed 1 snafu) but as the test is on Friday I have a bit of work to do remembering how to approach junctions etc (bad habits). I'll let you know if I manage to pass ... but I guess it's not likley :angry:

Regards Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good luck with the test, it's fun going 'back to school' isn't it!! lol

:)

Hi Ally,

as I'm soooooo old now I'm finding it difficult to put modern thinking into practice ..... the instructor is picking my up on road position & gear changing .... never mind 8 speed split boxes r a bit more difficult to use (when dragging a trailer) than the normal one .... but the Divi ran well not too bad for a 11 year old bike with just below 8k on the clock (I know thats right coz I had it new !!!)

Regards Jim

a bill should be passed that truckers should be selected from bike riders only, no, hold on, every road user should be selected from the bottom up, by license category, i.e. shetland ponies first, then tractors, mopeds etc, etc.

a bill should be passed that truckers should be selected from bike riders only, no, hold on, every road user should be selected from the bottom up, by license category, i.e. shetland ponies first, then tractors, mopeds etc, etc.

Hi Jim,

I must be a a sort of case study then .... did moped,motorcycle,car,class III (training only as that came with the car),class II & now Class I in that order but I missed out the shetland pony & tractors !! :rolleyes: oh but I forgot the cycling one you took as a kid at school

Regards Jim

Bikers make better drivers.

How many times have been out with someone when you're trying to out the emergency exit and they still haven't seen the 200 stationary vehicles!!!!

Treat everybody like they are going to kill you and you don't go far wrong. On recent threads people talking of cars/tractors etc. pulling out, if you can't SEE there eyes, they're gonna kill you!!

Ride safe - especially from thems bloody truckers.....................................................(ooppss shutting up now........................)

Bikers make better drivers.

How many times have been out with someone when you're trying to out the emergency exit and they still haven't seen the 200 stationary vehicles!!!!

Treat everybody like they are going to kill you and you don't go far wrong. On recent threads people talking of cars/tractors etc. pulling out, if you can't SEE there eyes, they're gonna kill you!!

Ride safe - especially from thems bloody truckers.....................................................(ooppss shutting up now........................)

Hi Ally,

Today I was doing the forward planning thing and noticed a Honda Hornet (or similar) coming towards me, being a little more higher up than the m/c rider I noticed a people carrier at a junction to my right (bikes left) and from the training LGV drivers have I could not flash at the bike to warn him the the people carrier was going to pull out in his path, If I had been on test I would have failed, but instead the instructor told me to 'grab' some more road (push the lorry just over the white (centre) line which in turn slowed the M/C down... I got the abuse from the rider (as I was close ,but not that close to his line) and he slowed up and the people carrier pulled out as I had expected. If I had not slowed the bike up the rider would have been embedded in the wing/door of the people carrier, so the upshot of this is I did intimidate the rider a bit ... but for his/her own good ... If the manouver I did is trained in to all class I drivers the M/c rider may think they are being a bit 'silly'(class I driver) but are in fact trying to help. As a footnote

1: you need to take into account how much room a class I (or in fact class II) needs to get around a town/narrow streets and bike riders should 'make a bit of allowence' for the increased area vehicle of this size needs and foward plan accordingly rather than treating it as a 'big car'.

2: This is not in defence of any class I or II driver that is bending the rules, the training/ forward planning should be there the whole time, my instructor pulled me on so many bad habits I have picked up since the last test and I'm now back on the straight & narrow (LGV wise)

3: The Divi ran real well today, best it's done for years .... it can (again) out accelerate cars from as low as 20 mph in top :mellow: so its 'automatic' gearbox is now back working ! :lol:

Regards Jim

I've no idea about half of what you've said (because I don't understand it!) but best of luck for Friday.

No worries ,

there is a lot to take in to do the test if you have not done one for years... The HGV test can be failed on failure to forward plan, in some respects the m/c test (I'm not sure here as I've not taken one 4 years) should have forrwad plan in it but it may have another name. forward plan is the way you read the road, gaps that the lorry fits into & understanding what other road users may or may not do....

I hope this makes some sense !!!

The instructor reakons there is a pass there if I slow the gear changes down ... but 7 secs per change is a bit slow :mellow:

Regards Jim

I've no idea about half of what you've said (because I don't understand it!) but best of luck for Friday.

Hi,

I re read the last post from me .. the Divi will now out do most cars from 20mph in top gear so in effect you may only need fourth & fifth to ride it unless you have to stop dead :mellow: so it's cool .. did the M5 j8 to j12 just playing with the cars u get one close behind u ... twist the grip @ 70mph next sec ur at a 100+ thats not good for the planning bit !!! :rolleyes:

Regards Jim

No worries ,

there is a lot to take in to do the test if you have not done one for years... The HGV test can be failed on failure to forward plan, in some respects the m/c test (I'm not sure here as I've not taken one 4 years) should have forrwad plan in it but it may have another name. forward plan is the way you read the road, gaps that the lorry fits into & understanding what other road users may or may not do....

I hope this makes some sense !!!

The instructor reakons there is a pass there if I slow the gear changes down ... but 7 secs per change is a bit slow :mellow:

Regards Jim

I have been driving trucks for the best part of ten years now, everything you say is true, i recon i prevent an accident a day, you can watch things happening and you can prevent them much as you have.

You will also see all the mobile phones etc and become very aware that most car drivers think their cars stop at the side of their seat when they cut the corner you need. Or pull across.

Some of the ol clunkers they teach in have got a bit of wear in em so changing slow is no bad thing. I found the gearchange ex the biggest pain in the arse getting first on the slow down,not sure if you still have to use every gear but getting that old DAF into crawler when she was moving was a bast4rd. Don't forget you can bring a manover into the driving yourself. On my test we stopped at a give way that was a reasonable slope and tried my luck taking it as the hill start. Worked to, saved me having to do it as a separate part.

Anyway best of luck

I have been driving trucks for the best part of ten years now, everything you say is true, i recon i prevent an accident a day, you can watch things happening and you can prevent them much as you have.

You will also see all the mobile phones etc and become very aware that most car drivers think their cars stop at the side of their seat when they cut the corner you need. Or pull across.

Some of the ol clunkers they teach in have got a bit of wear in em so changing slow is no bad thing. I found the gearchange ex the biggest pain in the arse getting first on the slow down,not sure if you still have to use every gear but getting that old DAF into crawler when she was moving was a bast4rd. Don't forget you can bring a manover into the driving yourself. On my test we stopped at a give way that was a reasonable slope and tried my luck taking it as the hill start. Worked to, saved me having to do it as a separate part.

Anyway best of luck

its an r reg scannie with about 242k on it most of the previous driving was done in a euro cargo with the 'slap' gearbox on it and automatic dustcarts... but having a trailer is a new ball game as you have to 'rob' quite a bit more road than you do on a class II ... The gear change exercise has been phased out but talking to the instructor the test is now 10 mins longer than before. Oh well lets see what friday at 8:45 brings.

Regards Jim

Anyway best of luck

Hi There,

I forgot to add I passed a few faults but they were all down to driving big stuff all the time and the bad habits set in !!!! but it's in the bag !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online