Which Classic ??

Bigjim
This post is 5499 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Everyone :)

I'm a Yam man ;) Had a Thundercat and now have a 2008 R6, as much as I love it there is something missing...

Have just got hold of an SR125 that was stood for 5 years and have got it back on the road, not a resto but enough that I stripped most of the bike off to sort bits and bobs. This is for the o/h so she didnt want anything special doing.

It was really nice to be riding along taking in the view and not screaming around lying on top of it :lol:

But now I've got the bug :P Thinking of trying to find something complete but need stripping down and then powder coating etc :)

Have seen an XV750 on ebay that I really like and a xs250, doesn't have to be a rocket !

Any other suggestions ?

Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jim from Manchester, welcome to the YOC forum

How about a DT175MX, popular bike in its day so new and used spares still available and still sought after now. Downside is due to lots of intrerest spares can be expensive.

...paul

I wouldn't recommend xs250, 400's are way better. I do like the xs750's though especially in grey!!

I know what you mean about the 125, i have a cg125 for the missus and its great fun pootling along watching the scenery.

bennelli 254's are nice. and the wetdreams are cheap and plentyful. z400's are naff ( i had one) but the z750 twins look and sound brill!!

BTW :welcome: to the forum

I wouldn't recommend xs250, 400's are way better. I do like the xs750's though especially in grey!!

I know what you mean about the 125, i have a cg125 for the missus and its great fun pootling along watching the scenery.

bennelli 254's are nice. and the wetdreams are cheap and plentyful. z400's are naff ( i had one) but the z750 twins look and sound brill!!

BTW :welcome: to the forum

hi jim ,get a dt 250/400.great bikes to start on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Yam man ;) Had a Thundercat and now have a 2008 R6, as much as I love it there is something missing...

Have just got hold of an SR125 that was stood for 5 years and have got it back on the road, not a resto but enough that I stripped most of the bike off to sort bits and bobs. This is for the o/h so she didnt want anything special doing.

It was really nice to be riding along taking in the view and not screaming around lying on top of it :lol:

But now I've got the bug :P Thinking of trying to find something complete but need stripping down and then powder coating etc :)

Have seen an XV750 on ebay that I really like and a xs250, doesn't have to be a rocket !

Any other suggestions ?

Jim

Hi, Just become a member.... Im Jak-xs from Chorley near Preston. i have just bought a 1978 xs 750 which is almost show room condition, apart from wear and tear. They are awsome machines and very well built, heavy buggers though. They cant be thrown around like rockets but will travell all day. the xv you saw, is it the english model or the american custom?. hope you get this as im better with bikes than computers...

jak-xs

I think if you buy a bike that is too small (under 350) you will eventually not be happy with the missing acceleration. I concur with the XS400/360. it has enough speed to get you anywhere, but if you need more grunt then try a XS650. Both XS models have an excellent parts availability.

RD250LC? RD350LC? RD500?

All drool worthy once refurbed :D

Any other suggestions ?

Jim

Hi Jim,

the 80's XV750 was in it's day was class apart from the carbs blowing off. When the carbs were on they were very very good and when off very verry bad :D Out of the 2 bikes you suggest in my book the XV would win every time !! XS250 was/is slow & heavy for it's size and a pain in the bum to get to run as it should !!! you would need less special tools to maintain an XV750 over an XS250 but the choice is yours !!! :D

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online