Snapped key in ignition

This post is 5484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:angry: hello most of you might be aware iv just got a honda hornet 600 and today was my first day out on it restricted after having a really good day i stopped at a service station when i came back i found i had snapped my key ( i no its a honda and im asking for help on a yamaha forum) after a hour of fiddling and fettling the broken half of the key into the igntion i managed to get it started thank god or it would have been a really really long walk!

do i have to replace the barrel now? rough cost?

or is there any alternatives?

any help would be much appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

did this once in a car we took the barrel off and we used a pin in the bottem of the barrel we put masking tape round the pin so it did not pierse your skin and push the broken key out of the barrel its really fiddley but we got there in the end

or just buy a new barrel :) good luck

did this once in a car we took the barrel off and we used a pin in the bottem of the barrel we put masking tape round the pin so it did not pierse your skin and push the broken key out of the barrel its really fiddley but we got there in the end

or just buy a new barrel :) good luck

thanks mate il see what i can do tomoz

Bad luck that Mikey, but you must have known the key was cracked and carried on using it!! :blink:

Dont know how you will get out of this one but if it were me I would be trying to remove the broken piece, BUT...have you got a spare key or at least the key number?

shame ya did this

my mate did the same once

btw the hornet isnt a offroad bike

so mods stick it in the right section :lol:

I've had to do this many times for customers.

What I do is this:

I have a selection of very small HSS drill bits and I drill a 1mm hole down through the key blade. I then syringe a tiny amount of Araldite type glue into the hole and push in a piece of electrical wire into it. I leave it to set for about ten minutes and then pull. Hey Presto! The key comes out no problems.

I've had to do this many times for customers.

What I do is this:

I have a selection of very small HSS drill bits and I drill a 1mm hole down through the key blade. I then syringe a tiny amount of Araldite type glue into the hole and push in a piece of electrical wire into it. I leave it to set for about ten minutes and then pull. Hey Presto! The key comes out no problems.

that sounds like a really good idea but its a inch deep into the igniton it didnt have the curtosy to snap off flush lol

Talk to an auto locksmith.

They can extract the broken key and cut you a new one for a few quid.

I have the kit to do it myself, but you're a bit far.