1999 RT100 - Having problems starting!

0aj0
This post is 5419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I recently picked up a 1999 Yamaha RT100. The bike had been sitting in a garage for 5 years and probably hasn't been ran in 6+ years. I got this bike pretty much for free, so It was worth a shot at fixing it. I replaced the plug, put on a brand new OEM carburetor, drained the old gas, and changed the oil in the clutch/crank case. I can get the bike to start and run for around 30-45 seconds before it dies. You have to find the "sweet" spot on the throttle in order to get it to run. If you give it more throttle it boggs down and starts to die. From what I can tell I have a problem with the Air/Fuel mixture from the carb. I have not replaced the 2 cycle motor/mixture oil, think that would help?

Also, does anyone know where to start with tuning the carbs? I have two adjustment, one is a small flat head screw that is near the air chamber that comes from the air filter (im guessing this adjusts the air flow) and also one screw that can be turned via a thumb screw (right above the floats) and im guessing this is for idle/fuel mixture.... I have worked on bikes before but I am stumped here, I adjusted the carbs last night for about 30 mins and kicked it a few times each - had no luck finding the right mixture.... any ideas?

Thanks in advance - This bike is a project bike, trying to fix it up for my nephew when he gets a little older.

AJ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys, I recently picked up a 1999 Yamaha RT100. The bike had been sitting in a garage for 5 years and probably hasn't been ran in 6+ years. I got this bike pretty much for free, so It was worth a shot at fixing it. I replaced the plug, put on a brand new OEM carburetor, drained the old gas, and changed the oil in the clutch/crank case. I can get the bike to start and run for around 30-45 seconds before it dies. You have to find the "sweet" spot on the throttle in order to get it to run. If you give it more throttle it boggs down and starts to die. From what I can tell I have a problem with the Air/Fuel mixture from the carb. I have not replaced the 2 cycle motor/mixture oil, think that would help?

Also, does anyone know where to start with tuning the carbs? I have two adjustment, one is a small flat head screw that is near the air chamber that comes from the air filter (im guessing this adjusts the air flow) and also one screw that can be turned via a thumb screw (right above the floats) and im guessing this is for idle/fuel mixture.... I have worked on bikes before but I am stumped here, I adjusted the carbs last night for about 30 mins and kicked it a few times each - had no luck finding the right mixture.... any ideas?

Thanks in advance - This bike is a project bike, trying to fix it up for my nephew when he gets a little older.

AJ

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with my RT100 - I changed the Plug, the Gas, and cleaned the Carb -

Can anyone give any help?

Could it be the 2 cycle oil mixture

The bike with start right up but when you put it in gear and give it gas it boggs down and eventually dies --But then it will start right back up again

thanks for any assistance

Make sure the airbox is not obstructed. Check that the air filter is in good condition. There is a rubber hose on the carb that is a vent for the bowl. Make sure it's not stopped up on the end as this can starve the engine for fuel. Check the compression with a tester. Make sure the silencer/spark arrestor is not clogged up in the end of the pipe.

Ok Thanks for the information - I cleaned the Carb out and when I took it off I took the air filter out - I just replaced it so it was in good shape - I will check the rest of the air box and the hose coming from the carb was cleaned as well --but I have not check the pipe at all - I will give it all a shot here in a couple of days -

It was running great last summer but then all of a sudden it started bogging down after being started - I have not put a lot of time into it yet

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online