Seat Height?

JohnR6
This post is 7227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

When you ride a motorbike.....does both of the flat of your feet have to be able to touch the ground?

I'm about 5'8'' and was just wondering if both of my feet is going to reach the ground flat on a sportbike? :?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It certainly does help to be taller.

I'm not tall (5ft 11ins), but I'm lucky that I have a shorter body and very long legs for my height.

Other guys around my height have sat on my XT600 and they can only get one leg on the floor. Both mine reach the floor flat so there's no problem.

I don't think sportsbikes are particularly high, but the lowest seat height I've seen on that type of bike is the ZZR600.

I was mainly refering to the R6. :D

I think the seat height for the R6 is about 820mm..........I set my mountain bike seat height to 820mm and sat on it to get a feel and both my feet was on the ground flat easily.......had extra slack too! The R6 can't be that low can it? :?

another thing to take into consideration john is seat width, a wide seat can splay the legs out a bit making it harder to reach the ground, best to just go to a dealer and ask for a seat on some of the bikes 8)

It will all be ok. You only need to have one foot on the ground anyway cos the other one will be covering the back brake.

Unless your racing and then the other foot will be under the gear lever getting ready to hook up into second! :twisted:

Cool, thanks for that.

I think both my feet should be able to reach the ground, if not flat......then probably at least my toes will reach the ground!! :lol: for 5'8'' I have a short body but longer legs......so I should be ok. :D

• Admin

Yeah thats fine unless your on a motorcross bike :twisted:

I'm about 6ft 4/5" and struggle to ride some sportsbikes, before i got the R1 i wanted a gsxr1000 but when i rode my mates, my legs were at the side of the tank instead of tooked into it and struggled to get my feet on the pegs so i tried an R1 and was fine so thats wot i got, its just useless for carrying passengers (never mind :lol: ) its always best to have a ride first to make sure the bikes right for you....

I think I should be OK, I know loads of people from work who are smaller than me but ride massive 1000cc touring bikes.

I'm not exactly short (just average) and if I can't get onto a relatively small bike like the R6 then I don't know what bike I can ride. :lol:

I'm about 5'3" and can't touch the floor with both feet on owt. I've had loads of foam cut out of the SVs seat and can still only get one foot down. The FZX is a bit better but it doesn't work :wink: I've just got to be careful not to stop next to pot holes and watch for nasty cambers at junctions and apart from that I'm fine.

Amanda

Thanks for that Amanda. I suppose you really only need to have one foot on the ground. :D

It's just that I've been reading my DSA motorcycle book over the weekend cos' I have my M/C theory test this Saturday and it says that you should be be able to have both feet touching the ground. :lol:

Thanks for that Amanda.  I suppose you really only need to have one foot on the ground.  :D  

It's just that I've been reading my DSA motorcycle book over the weekend cos' I have my M/C theory test this Saturday and it says that you should be be able to have both feet touching the ground.  :lol:

Bollocks to that :lol: I'd have to get a feckin' virago or summat like that to touch the floor with both feet [-X and that is not going to happen :lol: . That or a lowered 'busa :twisted: I couldn't touch the floor with both feet on the bike I learned on - a H100 so it can't matter that much cos I passed :wink:

Amanda