Pinging R1

S.Wessels1
This post is 5511 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone experiencing the same pinging noise? I googled it and it seems like it's fairly common just want to hear it from 1st hand yamaha owners.Here in South Africe we run 95 Octane fuel.I've been told octane booster will sort it out, but my main concern is, is it harmfull to ride with the ping?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

is it harmfull to ride with the ping?-------------------------

It can be very damaging" DETONATING "Is the correct term.

Its wen the fuel /air mixture is igniting [early] .The bang shud be pushing the piston down for thrust.

In its worst case " could break the piston . I Dont know the cure , [timing] & carb/ fuel injection timing ] is where the problem is ;)

cure """

1 Use a higher octane fuel; [ low octane " burns too quickly resulting in high chamber pressure;

2 Timing " adjust - [ peak chamber presure is 12 degrees ater TDC. [ PUSHING PISTON DOWNWARDS]

3Lean jetting " Weak air/fuel mixtures= Uneven Burning = pressure spikes

4 Glowing objects "CARBON " causes pre ignition ----- De coke .

when is it pinking? a lot of high performance jap 4s pink at low revs as you pull away (when the engine is under load, and in an inefficient part of the rev-range).

Provided the bike isnt running raised compression, the only real cure is to raise the octane.

btw, its not too likely to damage the engine as is transitional, if it was at high rpms for any length of time then itll trash the motor (eroded piston crown).

It does it in any gear below 4000rpm but only on load.So its not really that bad what got to me was when i opened the throttle in third got to about 8-9000rpm then got a intermittant ping but goes away again? I am taking it to the dealer the weekend to check it out.BTW on normal riding no serouis throttle no ping at all.

It does it in any gear below 4000rpm but only on load.So its not really that bad what got to me was when i opened the throttle in third got to about 8-9000rpm then got a intermittant ping but goes away again? I am taking it to the dealer the weekend to check it out.BTW on normal riding no serouis throttle no ping at all.
Geday mate, you are doing the right thing getting it checked out. Ignore any advice suggesting that it will not harm the engine.These are not tractor donks , they are very precise bits of gear. I believe it will have a knock sensor and this may be malfunctioning. There may also be a problem where the timing is advancing too far or too early. Out of interest, are you at sea level and have you tried a different brand of fuel? HAVE A BLAST! PAUL.

Geday mate, you are doing the right thing getting it checked out. Ignore any advice suggesting that it will not harm the engine.These are not tractor donks , they are very precise bits of gear. I believe it will have a knock sensor and this may be malfunctioning. There may also be a problem where the timing is advancing too far or too early. Out of interest, are you at sea level and have you tried a different brand of fuel? HAVE A BLAST! PAUL.

no knock sensors on most bikes, just bmws. its because jap bikes have quite high compression, a typical efi 4 is running only 15 degrees of advance.

fair enough getting it checked out, but the dealer will just tell you to run higher octane fuel.

I am at sea level 90% of the time.We only get 95 octane where i stay so can only increase the octane with a booster. But that's only a short term fix.Under normal riding ie: no full throttle i dnt experience any ping at all.Thanks for the reply

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online