R.O. Ireland - Update!

This post is 5469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone!

updated progress on my proposed R.O.I Tour.

the DT is slowly but steadily being prepped, new tyres, brakes, clutch, cables e.t.c and it has been quite reliable since ive started maintaining it properly.

got my luggage sorted, a 58L holdall strapped to the back with a few T-shirts, a few pairs of jeans aswell as socks and undies, camera, phone, Tent, small toolkit and a rollup sleeping bag. and thats pretty much it. (luggage space is VERY limited)

got my route all mapped out and have made stops for fuel, marked out the local B&Bs, marked out emergency routes, Campsites e.t.c

Total mileage will be around 1,000, costing around £180 in fuel (averaging 50mpg) set aside £10 a day to feed myself (£140 over the total duration of the trip) and return ticket from Liverpool to Dublin is £95

hopefully will have around £500 to go with, currently got £150 so am part way there, im applying to 4 different places for a job and hope to work all through my holidays, evenings and weekends to get as much cash as i can.

can hardly wait to get out there! :lol:

mapofirelandroutecropped.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

got my luggage sorted, a 58L holdall strapped to the back

58l is a fair sized lump of luggage. My panniers are 29l each, 30l top box - and I managed to look after myslef for 3 weeks, on the road fully self sufficient. So 58 l should be fine.

Here's a tip,

put everything you plan to take on the floor in front of you.

Lokk at the things you could combine together - such as T-Shirts, wear one for good (when your off the bike) then relagate it to a riding top. Tools, take only what you can actually use (no point in taking the 30mm Thermoactuator removal tool if you've no idea how to get the casing off).

Go through each day and take the stuff from the pile - I'll bet your left with something - ditch it!

Now consider wearing a top for more than a day, two days, whatever - add an extra day. Go through the stuff again and ditch some more...

You don't need much at all - and you may well find that you on the bike all day, get off, setup camp, eat, sleep break camp and ride all day again. Living rough isn't bad, and boy that shower at the end is well worth it all!

Iknow a girl who is currently traveling the US with little more than a large tail pack and a tent! You'll be able to read all about it in TBM later this year.

I can't offer advice on the practicality of the trip as i've never done anything liek this myself, but I'm surprised you're going nowhere near Galway - it's fantastic there. great craic and good nightlife from what I can recall ;)

Expect to average 40mph on the road - sounds low, perhaps, but that's what it'll work out at even if you can sustain 55-60mph on A roads (N roads) with stops for fuel etc.

£10 per day doesn't seem like a lot for food. Have an emergency fund to fall back on.

Do you have AA or similar? Might be worth checking/getting cover for the trip.

Confirm that your bike insurance covers you for Eire.

And good luck on the trip - should be a blast!

Expect to average 40mph on the road - sounds low, perhaps, but that's what it'll work out at even if you can sustain 55-60mph on A roads (N roads) with stops for fuel etc.

If Steve can manage that I think he'll be doing back flips!! (he's on a 50cc)

ive already done a "dry run" of packing, packed my holdall with 6 T-shirts and 5 pairs of jeans, 7 pairs of socks and undies, my maps and other bits and pieces then strapped it onto my DT and taken it for a ride and im quite happy with it, doubt i will need the rucksack so maybe just a daysack will do.

have a 3 season sleeping bag which packs to 30cmx19cm and have seen a nice Gelert Solo tent on ebay (packs to 40x15x15) so in terms of accomodation i think im pretty much all set :)

toolkit comprises of a set of allen keys, small adjustable wrench, some cable ties and a mutli-bit screwdriver... should be :), fits easily into the front pocket on my holdall.

may go to Galway if i have the time...

can't wait to do this on something bigger :D Touring sounds fun!

toolkit comprises of a set of allen keys, small adjustable wrench, some cable ties and a mutli-bit screwdriver... should be :), fits easily into the front pocket on my holdall.

Spark plug spanner and a spare spark plug. Small bottle of 2-stroke (even only 100mls-200mls).

bad news, checked my policy documents and it doesnt mention the republic of ireland, only northern ireland... :unsure: may have to call swinton and see if theres anything i can do about that...

also sent an email to the DVLA in regards to my provisional licence... just have to wait and see

bad news, checked my policy documents and it doesnt mention the republic of ireland, only northern ireland... :unsure: may have to call swinton and see if theres anything i can do about that...

also sent an email to the DVLA in regards to my provisional licence... just have to wait and see

Hmmm, not surprised about the insurance clause.

But easy solution to your problem - change your route & tour the North instead.

Its class up here, so much to see & if you time it right (cant remember when ur going) you can catch some of the local events (road races etc)

you'll love it & you've done so much prep it'd be a shame to miss out on a trip...

id be surprised if the DVLA will respond, firstly they dont give a toss, secondly you will be riding outside of the juristiction of UK law if you go to the R.O.I.

You need to go the websites of the republic and see what they say about foreign nationals driving in eire.

Your insurance should have come with policy documents, my guess is you are allowed 30-90 days in EEA countries with out additional premiums provided local laws allow you to drive there

i suspect you cannot drive into the republic on a provional license, though im happy to be corrected.

steve just found this on driving abroad which includes ireland

Where Can You Use Your UK Licence?

Regardless of where you’re planning to drive, always make sure that your licence is up to date before you leave and that you have it with you. If you’re planning to drive in the European Community, you can in general use your UK licence without any problems. Always remember that even though the legal driving age in the UK is 17, this may not be the case in many countries throughout Europe. Most have a minimum driving age of 18, so please check first before trying to drive there if you’re a young driver. The list of countries who happily accept a UK driving licence without a problem are:

* Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden

whether that includes learner drivers i dont know but will ask a mate who works for the irish tourist board

just checked he says only full licence holders not provisional and that rep of ireland provisional licence holders can not cross in to the north either it works both ways.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 17 for a car and for a motorcycle over 125cc.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

looks like its not good news unless you fancy northern ireland?

Hmm, think maybe its going to have to wait until i get a bigger bike and a proper licence :(.

... right, maybe a two week tour of the british coast then...

Hmm, think maybe its going to have to wait until i get a bigger bike and a proper licence :(.

yep come up to Scoatlin an fly fish for haggis,

its BRILLIANT (Billy Connoly accent used) :mellow:

lol, Billy Conoley is probably one of my biggest influeces.

this poor little fifty wont get me all the way to scotland, it'll be shagged out before i even reach t'north.

maybe somewere closer, touring the southern coastline perhaps...

Good luck mate Where ever you end up Have fun stay safe Andy

That seemed like a quick change of mind! Why don't your just tour the North? Better road signs up here by far!