xj600's or lack of?

jet22
This post is 4800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

is it me or aren't there any xj600's on the road anymore? I've only seen 2 in 18 months, 1 of those was a total wreck and I mean TOTAL WRECK!!!!! fairing was all smashed in, seat was riffy as anything, front screen had been ripped off etc I thought stuff that I ain't parking next to that thing! The other was a xj600n which was in good condition through-out! Seems everyone has sporty bikes now and mine is like a relic or something along those lines :unsure: I know mines no oil painting and could do with a new lick of paint but I'm thinking of upgrading this year hopefully, long as I can get some dosh together..... he says unconvincenly

this pic was taken last year before I changed the exhaust to a 4-1. The down-pipes had been bodge jobbed on where they join the silencers :angry: but like I said before on other post, didn't really know what to look for and I was too eager to get on the road after passing my test! :rolleyes:

DSCF0590.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well i know ofone north of inverness still going, the guy likes it , but another guy i know that had one told me to steeer clear of them when i was considering one cos he had one and it was a bag of pooo

Merv

DSCF0115.jpg

I have just bought (doing it up) one even though im a big suzuki fan so please dont tell me ive wasted my money

so because its got a few extra holes here n there it means its a total wreck :blink: , the fact is its still on the road

same goes for my divvyrat i got it for nowt , fairing was buggered so it came off

the nexxus pipe had an interface with the grinder and ive today shoved a renegade pipe on

the rear mudguard has been chopped,plate moved to right under the brake light

i get more people lookin now than before <_<

Picture4338.jpg

yeh I agree with what you mentioned about least its still on the road etc but if you'd seen the bike I mentioned you'd be like me.... wondering how is it still running? lol your divvy-rat looks pretty mad hehe nah its quite a good bike in all honesty apart from the problems I've had but my bike hadn't been looked after or kept in good check over the years. I'm the 13th owner and really that should of been like a BIGGGGGGGGGGGG warning not to buy it but hey ho you live you learn etc but you do get what you pay for! Its taken me up and down the country for ages so can't complain really. Just need to get that cam chain rattle sorted out, I've changed the tensioner but the rattle is still there. Mechanic is taking a look at it after the mot next week.

the rattle , mine does too rattles like a bag of spanners :blink:

You'd be surprised how many there are about.

I rarely see many for sale though as people tend to keep them until they die.

They're still around, it takes a lot to break them! But they do use a bit of oil in the higher revs!

• 1 year later...

i own a yamaha xj 600n in black , its been a great bike , never let me down sort of bike that means you have nothing to prove , but fun to ride , top speed ive got on mine was 130mph but it likes to sit at 70mph on motorways . they do have a tendancy to blow a lot of oil out at high speeds usualy on the left side of the engine , but are bullet proof . just dont over fill them with oil and change oil regular and should be ok

Mines a 1989, got 37k on the clock, does 120mph and it's unique, not seen another one in the 1000 miles I've been riding it.

Plus It's cheap as chips to repair, does 90 miles on £10 of fuel and makes women smile at me... Kinda makes me look like Maverick from top gun...

ive just fitted some street fighter bars on mine and it seems to handle so much better on the motorway at high speed , plus looks a 100 times better :)

I've had my XJ600n for just over 8 weeks now and is my first bike since passing my test. Other than the starting problems its recently started doing, it is a great bike. I do get the mickey ripped out of me from some of my biker mates saying I should have bought a Suzuki SV650, but like I pointed out to them, they are very common and I don't want to be seen on a common bike. ;)

Okay it's no sports bike, but it's comfortable to ride and handles well in all the conditions I have put it through. It seems to have been the right bike to buy and I don't regret purchasing it. I have become very attached to it and although my friends might be right about me wanting a more powerful bike in the future, I can't see me getting rid of it anytime soon. :)

I bought my XJ600 divvy this summer, my 1st bike after pssing my test. We have two in our garage, which both run really well. Been over to France on mine recently, ran smoothly, 120 miles to the tank. Had a couple of starting issues when I first got it, but starts first time after a service and damn good run! It does loose power between 2.5-3 rpm :( Not a flash bike, but great fun to ride.

mine lost power so i changed the air filter and put new spark plugs in seemed to resolve it . how was france ? im planning to go there next summer for a mini tour :)

Thanks for that - it has new plugs and filter, and I even had the pump apart last weekend, and that works fine. Pumps fuel nearly 1m up! Bit of a mystery to me. France was great thanks, I get over a lot as my dad lives in Normandy. Great biking, and great people. Really reccomend it. where are you planning on touring?

well im gonna head over to france for a few days for first trip just to get a feel of riding on the wrong side etc . then id like to ferry to spain and work my way back up with just a tent no hotels more an adventure type trip .

im hoping to do this next summer. spent this year sorting bike etc now time to get saving for a trip :) putting my bike in to garage next week for a full service total dismantle clean everything type service as my engine is a little rattly

ive had a few issues with the throttle sticking on mine , not sure if its the choke or throttle but sometimes after a motorway trip as i come to a stop the engine can get stuck on high revs around 3 on rev counter not amusing when people start to look at me thinking i must think im barry sheen :S

• 4 months later...

Hi.

I just read what you said about your XJ and oil overfill....

I have recently bought a 1989 pre-diversion and think it is over filled since I can't see an oil level in the window of the engine casing.

What happens if it has too much oil? Mine also rattles a fair bit, but goes well until (now and again) it just dies in mid flow.... as if the engine has been switched off. Then; after a few seconds of stand still/ or a minute and a flick flack of the kill switch and she's off agaion. Do you think the switch has dodgy contacts? If so, would that do this to the running engine? I guess so eh?

Mind you... how DID you get 130mph out of yours. I got to 120 on the clock and shit myself, so sloewed down... don't think she had much left in her though.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the electrical / fuel issue and the oil level too... Cheers. Justin :D

i did 130mph on a down hill part of a duel carrigeway thats well known as its seriously steep . also the wider bars and windsheild helps a lot with stablitly and airflow i dont normaly ride like a idiot but had to see what it could do , it sounded like it was gonna blow up at hi speed so i like too keep between 70 or 80 .

with the oil check it when the bikes cold youll find that when the oils hot it expands so it looks more .

its not good to over fill it ive over filled mine once and the oil went up into the air box and out of the drain tube untill eventual it got down to the right level . its better if you drain it if you have the time just undo the drain bolt underneath . . use a good quality tool though as they have a tendancy to round off dont use cheap tools .

also dont worry about a little bit of leaking oil ive come to relaize its a common thing with thease bikes . .

i keep my oil level halfway up on the looking glass maybe just a little below thats from cold ,. when engine warms up itll look a little higher cos of the expand etc ..

just keep an eye on the levels and dont worry if your loosing a little oil .